PDA

View Full Version : Brutalsim

escorial
November 17th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Went to a punk exhibit today at Liverpool library an on the way took these of my fave type of architectures

Kevin
November 17th, 2018, 04:06 PM
looks like a prison.
I wish I could post photos here.
Thank you for sharing.
Whats eu?

escorial
November 17th, 2018, 04:11 PM
a saying used on the playground....eu..like kevin

Kevin
November 17th, 2018, 04:32 PM
I have a theory that all big buildings, fancy ones with an architect where he's/she's allowed to design- are self portrates.
Your pics there... The large bank of dark glass to the right side is the body, and the separation near the top is the neck, and the light part is the head. The proportions are almost correct, though mr. is a bit narrow in the shoulders. There's even two eyes in the head. So I'm guessing the main architect is a white guy, thin build

escorial
November 17th, 2018, 04:35 PM
designed by..Holford Associates.

Kevin
November 17th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Often there's a main guy- maybe got a well known name, and then the underlings, the associates fill in all the details. It's what I've seen.

escorial
November 17th, 2018, 04:55 PM

Kevin
November 17th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Baron...
So all architects are forced by the form towards Cubism.
Notice the Baron's dark eyes, the shadow from eyebrow down over the eye area. And then look at the 'eyes' of the building.

escorial
November 17th, 2018, 05:46 PM
cubism yeah but it was more about austerity and the need to build quick after the war...we've only recently finished paying back our war loans to the USA..a price worth paying

TuesdayEve
January 10th, 2019, 07:45 PM
I like the lines and rectangles. The fence completes the
shot. To me its cathedral like. A modern cathedral, cold
...a dominating fortress of rigidity especially shots 3&4.

escorial
January 11th, 2019, 09:21 AM
The building has featured in a documentary because it's a hospital and falling apart...one feature of brutalist construction is a short shelf life...yet they look so solid...

Kevin
January 11th, 2019, 02:55 PM
The building has featured in a documentary because it's a hospital and falling apart...one feature of brutalist construction is a short shelf life...yet they look so solid...makes you wonder. Concrete and steel should not fall apart. Obviously, the consequences of 'budgetary demands'. It's like anything built. Unless the engineers made a huge mistake, they know exactly how to build it. Then the bean counters come in. In other places the contractors cheat. Again, makes you wonder: how do you come in so far under the other bidders? A real turkey * ehem* might even totally collapse. I tell customers that. You get what you pay for.

This from a quick google- article sourced https://www.businessinsider.com.au/video-retaining-wall-gives-way-turkey-2018-8
"...the building was constructed illegally in 1994. It did not have an occupancy permit or a construction license while problems with its foundation were reported. To this day, it is not clear why authorities did not address the issue."

The last line makes me laugh. Why wouldn't authorities address the issue? * ehem (again)*

escorial
January 11th, 2019, 05:49 PM
So many of this type of construction deteroiate with concrete cancer...which is where the reinforced steel within becomes rusty when the ice expands around it and cracks appear...

escorial
January 17th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Walked into city an I've admired this building..it has that brutalist structure but is a more refined building all together..that box on the top would be a fine place to dwell

escorial
September 8th, 2019, 06:52 PM
Known as the sandcastle
It's a beauty

Umree
September 8th, 2019, 07:54 PM
The initial images remind me of downtown Los Angeles. While some of the city is contemporary —and certainly much of it appears to be perpetually under construction— there are many buildings that resemble this older architectural style. The sandcastle is stunning, what is the building used for?

escorial
September 8th, 2019, 08:05 PM
its the head office of the local paper..The Echo and below the building is were its printed...or use to be...it was also home to sister paper The Post but that is no longer in circulation..i've yet to get inside it....