PDA

View Full Version : My NaPoWriMo Experience....

Firemajic
May 1st, 2018, 08:51 PM
I learned a Lot from this year's NaPo experience... I learned about myself... and about my fellow poets... I learned that I CAN write, even when I feel uninspired, and that the ACT of writing while uninspired is actually inspirational ;) I learned to set aside time to be creative... and I learned to use that time wisely... lol... I learned that it is ok to have fun writing, it is ok to write for the pleasure of using words and phrases that I love... I learned that my fellow poets are true word warriors and true craftsmen... I feel like some of the poets let their guard down a little, and let it rip! I had fun, I was frustrated, I was overwhelmed, and I learned that a bag of Doritos does not solve every problem... but Doritos can ease the pain...

What did you gain from your experience? I would love to know....

PiP
May 1st, 2018, 09:17 PM
Fire, excellent post!

I nearly gave up at #14. I felt uninspired and the thought of writing another 16 poems was....just... overwhelming. Anyways, by the time the front runners were at #24 I changed my mind and then spent every spare moment writing poetry to catch up. I even wrote a poem in my head about language discrimination when I was frozen out of a conversation when everyone was speaking French. I then sneaked away and scribbled the ideas in my notebook. What did I gain from the experience? There is no such word as 'can't' and writer's block is just an excuse.

H.Brown
May 1st, 2018, 09:21 PM
I surprised myself during NaPoWriMo, I learned that I can indeed write poetry that doesn't always suck, I gained the confidence to try and experiment with my poetry, I learned I apparently can write in metre, without really understanding what metre is...I learned that we have a wide selection of poetry members. I had fun, I pushed myself and most of all I survived and conquered. This has improved my confidence tenfold, thanks to everyone who has left me a like, lol or/and comment, durring this month. :D

Firemajic
May 1st, 2018, 09:21 PM
Yes, PiP... I read your poem, and I loved it... Inspiration is all around us, we just have to be brave enough to use it... and creative enough to see it...

Firemajic
May 1st, 2018, 09:24 PM
I surprised myself during NaPoWriMo, I learned that I can indeed write poetry that doesn't always suck, I gained the confidence to try and experiment with my poetry, I learned I apparently can write in metre, without really understanding what metre is...I learned that we have a wide selection of poetry members. I had fun, I pushed myself and most of all I survived and conquered. This has improved my confidence tenfold, thanks to everyone who has left me a like, lol or/and comment, durring this month. :D

Fabulous! Confidence is as vital as knowing how to spell...

PiP
May 1st, 2018, 10:10 PM
Inspiration is all around us, we just have to be brave enough to use it... and creative enough to see it...

This has to be a quotable quote!

Phil Istine
May 2nd, 2018, 04:24 AM
I struggled badly with it this year. It didn't help that I was doing extra work from 5 am to 7am - a time when I often write - and the fatigue overwhelmed me often. I gave notice on that job and my last day was the 30th April.

At one point I settled for doing 15, but found a second wind from somewhere. Also, it was quite painful putting a few snapshots of my childhood out there, and those were only a taster. It may not have been apparent from the wording, but writing about them pulled me through places that I pushed down long ago.

Over all it was fun though, but I didn't have enough left to be cheerleader for other participants. I felt a bit bad about that for a while but sometimes that's just how it is.

PiP
May 2nd, 2018, 07:00 AM
Also, it was quite painful putting a few snapshots of my childhood out there, and those were only a taster. It may not have been apparent from the wording, but writing about them pulled me through places that I pushed down long ago.

It's never ceases to amaze me how writing can do this.

Over all it was fun though, but I didn't have enough left to be cheerleader for other participants. I felt a bit bad about that for a while but sometimes that's just how it is.
I felt the same, Phil. I also wish I'd had the time to actually participate as a cheerleader as well. Thank you to those of you who did! When I received a comment, 'like' or 'LoL' it was a great motivator.

Darren White
May 2nd, 2018, 07:29 AM
Phil, I often write about my own past. I hate it and at the same time it helps me put things into place and perspective

Fire, great thread :) (and yes, you can write!)

I feared participating at first, I was stressed, could I complete this or not? So much always works against me, I am my own worst enemy.

But I must say I enjoyed this month, I got to know our poets so much better, read a lot, laughed and cried... Really did.

And strange but true, it made me less afraid to post my poems on the boards (yes I admit I am a weird one) LOL

midnightpoet
May 2nd, 2018, 10:52 AM
I apologize for being so cranky and irritable last month, looking back it wasn't the poetry that bothered me but the cheerleading. So many posts of "good job" "wow" and such made me think of cheerleaders on the sidelines waving pom-poms jumping up and down and it turned me off. It just...did. To me it sounded fake, hollow. Anyway the poems, for the most part were good for first drafts, and I realized I was looking at the negative instead of the positive. Have a habit of that, unfortunately.

Darren White
May 2nd, 2018, 11:09 AM
Midnight, thanks :)
As for the cheerleading. Normally I don't like that either. I came from a site that did nothing but cheerleading before I joined WF. But this month was for encouragement.... BUT despite that, there was a huge part where fabulous critique was given, honestly. On the other hand, there was so much poetry to read, that saying more that 'good job' was absolutely impossible.

Phil Istine
May 2nd, 2018, 11:22 AM
I apologize for being so cranky and irritable last month, looking back it wasn't the poetry that bothered me but the cheerleading. So many posts of "good job" "wow" and such made me think of cheerleaders on the sidelines waving pom-poms jumping up and down and it turned me off. It just...did. To me it sounded fake, hollow. Anyway the poems, for the most part were good for first drafts, and I realized I was looking at the negative instead of the positive. Have a habit of that, unfortunately.

I suppose most of us do that sometimes. I reckon NaPo doesn't leave sufficient time for most people to leave in-depth feedback. Perhaps a NaPo week would be more appropriate than a month, but it seems to have become a tradition.

Darren White
May 2nd, 2018, 11:34 AM
It's not something WF invented :)
It truly is national. All poetry forums, sites, and other poetry resources organize the event.

Firemajic
May 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
I struggled badly with it this year. It didn't help that I was doing extra work from 5 am to 7am - a time when I often write - and the fatigue overwhelmed me often. I gave notice on that job and my last day was the 30th April.

I hope all goes well in your search for a new job... given what you were going through, it is even more impressive that you completed the challenge... *HUGS*

At one point I settled for doing 15, but found a second wind from somewhere. Also, it was quite painful putting a few snapshots of my childhood out there, and those were only a taster. It may not have been apparent from the wording, but writing about them pulled me through places that I pushed down long ago.

Because it is sorta understood that we are writing quickly, capturing the essence of emotion, mood and message... it gives me a feeling of freedom .. less time to agonize over each word... less time to worry how others will receive my message, and react to it...

andrewclunn
May 2nd, 2018, 02:12 PM
I learned that when pushed for inspiration my fall backs are lazy puns, misanthropy, misogyny, self serving naval gazing, and arrogance. Good to know that these topics flow so easily for me.

Darren White
May 2nd, 2018, 02:22 PM
I learned that when pushed for inspiration my fall backs are lazy puns, misanthropy, misogyny, self serving naval gazing, and arrogance. Good to know that these topics flow so easily for me.

LOL, I think you're the funniest misanthrope ever!

RhythmOvPain
May 2nd, 2018, 05:00 PM
This was difficult; at times I feel like I cheated myself, but I used every opportunity I had to write to the best of my ability.

I feel like I developed this month.

I read poems that inspired me and I gained respect for a lot of other people.

Firemajic
May 2nd, 2018, 05:08 PM
This was difficult; at times I feel like I cheated myself, but I used every opportunity I had to write to the best of my ability.

I feel like I developed this month.

I read poems that inspired me and I gained respect for a lot of other people.

I think you did an awesome job ;) and you wrote some good stuff... so do me a favor, and STOP calling your poetry "SHIT"... ;)...please...ok?

sas
May 2nd, 2018, 09:21 PM
I sure am reluctant to jump into this fire (not you Fire!)

The difference here, in WF, is that poems were workshopped, not just one written by each participant for 30 days, as poetry month means. Yes, it is poetry month where poets are encouraged to write one daily, but it is not poetry workshop month. That for me was tiresome. Yep, lots of cheerleading ensued to inflate those making a tremendous effort to carry on, it seemed to me. I rarely commented because, personally, I felt it wrong to point out anything that might be improved when something is hastily written. I confess, I dislike when someone posts in regular workshop whatever came into their head everyday, without fine tuning it themselves first. Throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks, ain’t for me. I know who they are and no longer comment on their posts. I feel it is enough that poets post a poem each day in April. No workshop comments. I know the “come back” will be “but I learned so much!” Well, post them in the designated workshop thread after. There’s plenty of room there.

PiP
May 3rd, 2018, 05:44 AM
I rarely commented because, personally, I felt it wrong to point out anything that might be improved when something is hastily written. I confess, I dislike when someone posts in regular workshop whatever came into their head everyday, without fine tuning it themselves first. Throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks, ain’t for me. I know who they are and no longer comment on their posts. I feel it is enough that poets post a poem each day in April. No workshop comments. I know the “come back” will be “but I learned so much!” Well, post them in the designated workshop thread after. There’s plenty of room there.

No, the comeback is, Sas: NaPo poets have their own workshop which states

Writing Forum: NaPoWriMo Workshop

For NaPoWriMo poetry threads not intended for public viewing and to protect first publication rights.

They are well within their rights to post to this area so they can workshop NaPo poems in the poetry workshop later. I have already started to do so...as I believe has Pulse.

If throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks ain't for you, that is fine, please don't read work in the Napo forum. And if you don't want to comment on future work of the 23 poets who participated, that is equally fine. I respected your critique but I won't be looking for any comments from you on my work in the future.

I for one, never threw mud against the wall; I worked damned hard on my poetry, even the fun stuff.

Phil Istine
May 3rd, 2018, 06:42 AM
I'm unsure if I should be pleading guilty to this. I did post a couple of hastily-assembled pieces, and it looks like I stuck them in the workshop. On reflection, that probably wasn't the best place for them, but I think the Tavern Poetry folder was made defunct. I found the gymkhana (Jim Carner) soundalike tricky to resist.
Ho-hum. The person who never made a mistake never made anything else either.

sas
May 3rd, 2018, 12:21 PM
To pip and those who jumped on:

My point exactly. There is a place to workshop poems.

It doesn’t need to be in the poem a day thread. And, rules can be changed. And, pip, I am just as entitled, especially as an active poetry participant, to express my opinion without such personal venom being hurled at me.

jenthepen
May 3rd, 2018, 08:48 PM
My experience of NaPo - lots of sleepless nights when my head wouldn't shut down and kept throwing up disconnected 'poetic phrases' and once (glorious night!) when a whole poem arrived inside my head intact. I took to keeping a notebook in the bathroom and hopping out of bed to write down each 'poetic gem' as they popped up. Quite a few turned out to be total nonsense in the light of day but I did harvest a few fairly decent poems out of all the hours of wakefulness. On the down side, hubby is now convinced that I have a bladder problem.

Smith
May 3rd, 2018, 08:48 PM
I'm unsure if I should be pleading guilty to this. I did post a couple of hastily-assembled pieces, and it looks like I stuck them in the workshop.

Are you #[email protected]&%*! serious? How could you do such a thing? I'm sure as Hell never commenting on your work again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

EDIT: Good job to all the poets who did this thing.

PiP
May 3rd, 2018, 08:56 PM
My experience of NaPo - lots of sleepless nights when my head wouldn't shut down and kept throwing up disconnected 'poetic phrases' and once (glorious night!) when a whole poem arrived inside my head intact. I took to keeping a notebook in the bathroom and hopping out of bed to write down each 'poetic gem' as they popped up. Quite a few turned out to be total nonsense in the light of day but I did harvest a few fairly decent poems out of all the hours of wakefulness. On the down side, hubby is now convinced that I have a bladder problem.

Laughing... yes, I also kept a notebook in the bathroom. One night I was up for nearly two hours scribbling away! In fact, I carried my notebook everywhere and wrote at every opportunity. And I mean, every opportunity...

jenthepen
May 3rd, 2018, 09:37 PM
Laughing... yes, I also kept a notebook in the bathroom. One night I was up for nearly two hours scribbling away! In fact, I carried my notebook everywhere and wrote at every opportunity. And I mean, every opportunity...

:coffeescreen: Ooh, your hubby must have even stranger beliefs about you!

Gumby
May 4th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Oh boy, I am guilty of popping out of bed to write at all hours, too! I used my samsung notepad, but still, it was that or risk losing a thought or line come morning! So glad to share this quirk with such illustrious company. :)

Pelwrath
May 5th, 2018, 01:09 AM
I learned that fear of success can be as daunting as that of failure. Failures allow for improvement, success mandates consistency, or so I thought.
Experimentation is the mind soaring on ones dreams. My opinion of my writing was a negative on my writing. Reading others poems was as enjoyable as it was educational. Perfection isn’t in the eye of the creator, but in the lives that creation touches.
I’m sorry that I didn’t get to all those who participated and I’m extremely grateful for the comments many were kind enough to give. I’ll be posting several of my poems for critique.
On lunch one day my boss sonme writing and asked, I mentioned about an idea for a poem that you inspred me to write.
”I did?”
Yup, all those SPaG issuesnyou found in my three month reviews.”
I’ve learned and I’m better because knowledge is something they can’t take away from you.

Gumby
May 5th, 2018, 02:43 PM
I didn't comment as much as so many others did, either. Some of you are just amazing in that you had time to write, leave lots of comment, and get on with life. My hat is off to you all! You made it look so damn easy!
I feel privileged to have participated with such a great group, as you all are.

Darren White
May 5th, 2018, 03:28 PM
All of you who left a reply here, thank you very much. I had beforehand never thought I'd enjoy myself as much as I did. Next year again, deal? :)

PiP
May 5th, 2018, 09:05 PM
All of you who left a reply here, thank you very much. I had beforehand never thought I'd enjoy myself as much as I did. Next year again, deal? :)

Darren, I am relieved you enjoyed yourself; you were an amazing host... please can I have my pointy stick back now?

I am sorry I never left many supportive comments/critique on the work of my fellow NaPos... Next year I will be more organise and not quit at #14 then decide at #24 I will continue to participate!

Onwards...

Raises glass to next year's challenge. :champagne:

jenthepen
May 6th, 2018, 09:33 PM
. Next year again, deal? :)

Darren, my poetic friend with energy to spare
could you bottle that enthusiasm
and send some over here?

This time next year seems far away,
if my head has cleared by then
I promise I'll come out to play
And NaPo write again.

Pelwrath
May 7th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Forgot to thankyou for being the host/moderator of NaPoWriMo. You did one heck of a job. Thank you so much.

Darren White
May 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Darren, my poetic friend with energy to spare
could you bottle that enthusiasm
and send some over here?

This time next year seems far away,
if my head has cleared by then
I promise I'll come out to play
And NaPo write again.

Aww Jen, I only see this now. That's wonderful. Hope to see you though BEFORE April next year ;)