PDA

View Full Version : Wild Things

Firemajic
April 19th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I am trying my hand at drawing wildlife....

Firemajic
April 19th, 2018, 07:41 PM
His close up...

bobo
April 20th, 2018, 12:29 AM
He looks very attentive - was that because he saw you ??
What 's such one called ??
Isn't he a bit fat-bellied to be wild ??
Just some questions - lolol

tinacrabapple
April 20th, 2018, 01:06 AM
That beautiful Fire! Had no idea you had so many talents. Is that a weasel?

Firemajic
April 20th, 2018, 01:06 AM
He looks very attentive - was that because he saw you ??
What 's such one called ??
Isn't he a bit fat-bellied to be wild ??
Just some questions - lolol

This is a Mink... and yeah, he looks kinda plump, but a lot of his fluffiness is fur and he has his back legs tucked under his body... ;)

tinacrabapple
April 20th, 2018, 01:11 AM
A mink is in the weasel family. I don't know why I know this.

Firemajic
April 20th, 2018, 01:20 AM
A mink is in the weasel family. I don't know why I know this.

Yes... and the Black footed Ferret... and the Martin ;) to be completely honest, I wanted to draw a Mink, but used a Ferret as a reference pic..I just made the body heavier, and left off the black mask...

bobo
April 20th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Wanna paint those nice wild things with bushy tales ?? :-)

Firemajic
April 20th, 2018, 01:06 PM
lol... I LOVE squirrels! Black? Are they really Black? Ours are either red or grey... and I have had the honor of bottle feeding and raising 7 abandoned babies, and they live on my property... ;)

bobo
April 20th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Yes, - black squirrels with shiny furs in autumn like surroundings :-)
Whou, your foster babies are still living with you ??
they find it hard to let go of something good - see how much you mean to many creatures, magic ??

Firemajic
April 23rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Great Horned Owl...

bobo
April 23rd, 2018, 02:55 PM
This is g-o-o-d, magic :-)
The two in the middle especially good, clear outlines and access to the eyes :-)
Is Mrs. Owl wearing a tie ?? - something's dangling in her right side .

Firemajic
April 23rd, 2018, 04:13 PM
Thank you bobo ;)... No, the Owl is not wearing a tie, that is a shadow where the wing is next to the body... I lightened it and blended it in the final pic... ;)

bobo
April 23rd, 2018, 04:27 PM
Thank you bobo ;)... No, the Owl is not wearing a tie, that is a shadow where the wing is next to the body... I lightened it and blended it in the final pic... ;)

Yeah - better hide it for not getting the idea that she's been strangled - lolol
I wish I could elaborate such concentrated looks out of the eyes :-)

Firemajic
April 23rd, 2018, 04:30 PM
Here is the finished drawing...

bobo
April 23rd, 2018, 05:51 PM
Excellent !!

LeeC
April 23rd, 2018, 07:10 PM
Excellent feathering and shading. Brings it to life :-)

jenthepen
April 23rd, 2018, 09:47 PM
Wow, I just found this thread. These pics are really good. Does the girl's talent know no limits! Have you ever thought about engraving some of these on glass?

sas
April 23rd, 2018, 09:54 PM
Gosh. I bet my granddaughters would say that owl looks just like me whenever I disapprove of something they’ve done. I never, ever had to hit my children or grandchildren. My “look” was enough. Still is. Nice work, Fire!

Firemajic
April 23rd, 2018, 11:13 PM
jen, thanks for your kind words... I have never thought of engraving on glass... I have wanted to play around with stained glass... ;)

sas, I am sure you could chill molten lava with your "look"....

tinacrabapple
April 26th, 2018, 01:20 AM
Tremendous Fire!

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Excellent feathering and shading. Brings it to life :-)

Tremendous Fire!

Thank you both ;) There is something very satisfying about taking a pencil and a piece of paper and losing myself in the creative process...I appreciate all the comments and encouraging words...

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Song Sparrow... I wish I would have stopped at the second pic... I like that better that the last one... it looks over worked... I never know when a picture is done...

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 02:34 PM
the mink is over worked also...

bobo
April 26th, 2018, 03:38 PM
They're all good in their own right, magic :-)
It depends on what you're looking for, if it's a minimal drawing, a mere suggestion - you would be satisfied with the no. 1s.
If it's a more detailed, a more elaborate one, you go further :-)
Personally I like no. 2 mink, and no. 3 sparrow.
Why not so much no. 4 sparrow ??
It seems to me its feathers look a bit too untidy, too ruffled, hence unhealthy - and I want all critters to look their best :-)

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 03:58 PM
well, I like the drama of the contrasting light and dark... so... I think the sparrow is too dark... you are right, he looks... untidy and heavy... I will see if I can lighten him some and bring back the drama... thank you, you have been very helpful. it is so fabulous to have your POV ;)

bobo
April 26th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Thank you, magic - it's so nice to be appreciated :-)
If wanting to stress the contrasts, play down the grey transitions zones in between.

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I used my kneaded eraser to remove a lot of graphite, then went over it with another hard eraser, then added some light texture... I like this better... The bottom pic is the "before" pic...

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Thank you, magic - it's so nice to be appreciated :-)
If wanting to stress the contrasts, play down the grey transitions zones in between.

yes, I keep forgetting that.. there should be at least 3 different values...

bobo
April 26th, 2018, 05:47 PM
The first is the old no. 2, right ??
and the second ... I'm scrolling up and down here for discovering differences, but the new no. 2 looks very much as the old no. 4
even the pattern of the 'spots' ... sorry, they are alike - no difference. :-)

Firemajic
April 26th, 2018, 06:01 PM
The last 2 pics I posted... the first one is a pic AFTER I lightened it and the second pic is how it was before I lightened it...

RhythmOvPain
April 26th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Song Sparrow... I wish I would have stopped at the second pic... I like that better that the last one... it looks over worked... I never know when a picture is done...

This is really a beautiful sketch. Have you considered watercolor?

bobo
April 26th, 2018, 11:44 PM
The last 2 pics I posted... the first one is a pic AFTER I lightened it and the second pic is how it was before I lightened it...

O.K. - yes I see now, that the first pic (after lightment) is lighter than the original no. 2. :-)

AND you must be thrilled now, cause it has those contrasts you wanted - it's actually the pic we both like the best now - agree ??

Firemajic
April 27th, 2018, 12:19 AM
lol... yes, we agree... I need to stop overworking the pic... ;)

bobo
April 27th, 2018, 12:33 PM
What are we going to draw today ??

Firemajic
April 27th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Good morning, Dear bobo... I am working on this...

bobo
April 27th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Wow, a sort of lion ??
May be if you accent the line behind the whiskers (right mug), he wouldn't look so lopsided (and de-accentuate the line left to his nose :-)
The first pic looks more harmonious - but, of course you're not ready yet to present anything, right ??

bobo
April 27th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Sending good vibes for the artist :-)

Firemajic
April 27th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Yes, I am just getting the basic shape down, then the details... but everything has to be perfect, because when I start laying in the shadows, they will fall according to the details.. slope of the muzzle, underlying bone structure ...ect...then when I add the mane, he will spring into life... hopefully.. ;) but I see what you mean about his lopsided nose... thank you, a second pair of eyes is always a good thing...

sas
April 27th, 2018, 02:07 PM
There is something that draws me to the lion without eyes.

Maybe you can do another like that on a blackish background with the eyes placed there, only the eyes...left behind in the wilds.

Like all poets, I need a message in art. The lion who sees nothing is caged in a zoo. That’s what I see, anyway. Hmmm.

Firemajic
April 27th, 2018, 02:24 PM
sas, I LOOOOVE that idea.... I wish I was talented enough to express that... I would do the lion like you suggested, then off in the distance, real faint and misty, I would put a hint of Lionesses and the African veldt ...as if the Lion is remembering...

sas
April 27th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Glad you liked it. Art for me must have poetry.

I don’t think you need anything but darkness and one set of eyes, only one. This painting should be about a lost vision of another world. I’d keep the focus on the eyes. You could put in a very faint hint of jungle...faint. You can do this, fire girl. I’ve no doubt.

Firemajic
April 27th, 2018, 02:55 PM
You inspire my fire! ;) Maybe NOTHING else is needed, except the lion, with those blind eyes...

sas
April 27th, 2018, 03:54 PM
For me....that would be enough. And, it would be "more"!

escorial
April 28th, 2018, 03:35 PM
i think you draw faces with such diversity.......

Firemajic
April 28th, 2018, 05:01 PM
I am not sure where to go from here.... less is more... maybe? I left the eyes unfinished, to make him look blind, as sas suggested...

RhythmOvPain
April 28th, 2018, 05:07 PM
The lower chin needs more definition IMO. Lions have a very distinct jaw structure. The whole bottom of the jawline should be cut farther down.

Everything else is very well proportioned; your attention to anatomical detail is among the best I've ever seen.

I think what happens is you're not shifting your paper to the proper angle in some cases, or maybe you're subconsciously accounting for the dimensions of your canvas rather than the dimensions of your model?

escorial
April 28th, 2018, 05:07 PM
draw a scarecrow an a tin man

Firemajic
April 28th, 2018, 05:38 PM
The lower chin needs more definition IMO. Lions have a very distinct jaw structure. The whole bottom of the jawline should be cut farther down.

Everything else is very well proportioned; your attention to anatomical detail is among the best I've ever seen.

I think what happens is you're not shifting your paper to the proper angle in some cases, or maybe you're subconsciously accounting for the dimensions of your canvas rather than the dimensions of your model?

I am left handed, and I am kinda weird in that if I see an object... like a "C" shape, when I draw that shape, I draw it flipped backwards , and that is a struggle... pluse, I need a LOT more practice ...thanks for your helpful comments... I think I know what you mean, and I will work on it... ;)

RhythmOvPain
April 28th, 2018, 06:53 PM
I have a deep appreciation for people who can draw well because it's one thing I'm simply incapable of.

bobo
May 2nd, 2018, 01:22 PM
So-o-o, magic - don't you have a little sparrow to draw ??
A little one, which will sing for you while you're drawing ??

Firemajic
May 2nd, 2018, 10:13 PM
So-o-o, magic - don't you have a little sparrow to draw ??
A little one, which will sing for you while you're drawing ??

All I have is a mouthy African Grey Parrot who laughs at everything I say....