PDA

View Full Version : Shoo Fly Colored Pencil Tutorial

Firemajic
February 25th, 2018, 11:40 PM
First I sketch in my subject with a #2 pencil with a dull, rounded point... I want a dull point so that it is easily erased and does not leave indentations on the paper. The paper is 98 pound mix media [ cheap]
The pencils I used are

Magenta
Brown
Black
Sky Blue
Dark Umber
Mandarin
Light Blue
Violet
Dark Navy Blue
Peacock Green

Once my sketch is the way I want it, I go back and gently lighten my pencil lines. Using the Magenta, and light blue, I lay in the first light colors... I use a very light pressure on the pencil so the tooth/ texture of the paper is not damaged. Next I lightly block in the eyes and legs using Black... light pressure...

Firemajic
February 25th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Now I am ready to add more color and shadows... Using Black, I gently darken the abdomen and body segments, and darken the eyes. Mandarin was used on the fly's mouth and chest. Using Navy blue, I darken small areas to add dimension ... Using the magenta I add more color to the lower body, then lay light blue over that... I darken the eyes with Peacock Green, and dark Umber, and finally more black... using gentle pressure...

Firemajic
February 26th, 2018, 12:06 AM
I darken the legs with black, and layer Navy Blue, Violet, and light blue on the body, always using light pressure, building the color intensity slowly... Next I outline the wings with the Light Blue pencil. Using the Violet and Magenta I add depth to the segments in the Fly's abdomen, and darken all shadows and eyes using Violet, then a black overlay of color...using a sharp tip on the black pencil, I add hair to the body and the legs... using Sky Blue, I draw long squiggly lines inside the wings.

Firemajic
February 26th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Almost done! Now holding the pencils on the side, I burnish in the color, using more pressure, adding layer after layer of Navy Blue and violet. Using Black, I refine the eyes, legs and shadows.... Using Q-tips, I polish and blend, changing the Q-tips often so I keep the colors clean... a final touch up with the Black pencil, and the shoo fly is finished... ;)

Gumby
February 26th, 2018, 02:20 AM
Great tutorial, Juls!

sas
February 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM
How the fuck do you get that fly to pose?

Fabulous, and I love the tutorial!

Firemajic
February 26th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Great tutorial, Juls!

Thank you, it was fun... I might do some more, if anyone is interested....

How the fuck do you get that fly to pose?

Fabulous, and I love the tutorial!

I said "Please".... while holding a BIG fly swatter... ;)

Darren White
February 26th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Oh, I love this!
I can write words, but cannot draw a single useful line, nothing.
I'm awed :)

escorial
February 27th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Cool stuff...