PDA

View Full Version : Pastel

RC James
February 24th, 2018, 08:47 AM

escorial
February 24th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Do you prefer pastel over other mediums..

RC James
February 24th, 2018, 09:57 AM
escorial - Thanks for asking. I like the impermanence of pastels. By that, I mean the possibilities of working-in with the medium, the ability to re-work as opposed to the permanency of applied paint. With paint you add layers in order to soften or alter color tones, with pastels there is always the chance to work with the original layer of color. I'm not explaining it very well, but, for example, if you have a composition in which there are intersecting or crossing, overlapping lines, as in the one I posted, when you add another line to what's there, and travel over an existing color line, the new line will carry itself in a continuous line over the old one. Or, you can choose to stop at the intersection,before you cross the existing line, so it appears that the old line is crossing through the one you've just added.

If, after you've applied a first coat of pastel, you want to soften it or darken it, as I said before, you can work with that original application, smudging it to soften or applying a darker color that complements the original to darken it, as in two different shades of blue and then softening the newly applied shade to blend, either leaving a distinct line or blurring the edges of that line.

Lately, I've been doing pastel collages, which consists of takimg the original and tearing it up, then configuring the pieces into a new composition - I'll add one to this thread, if that's possible, if not, I'll open a new thread and put it there. RC

escorial
February 24th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Are all your works abstract

RC James
February 24th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Now they are - I did representational stuff when I first started, but I prefer what I feel is the freedom and I guess, plasticity of abstract. I fully admire realistic artists, and I realize there is a certain kind of freedom within the restrictions of portraiture and landscapes. I'm also a photographer and, of course, it's a medium of precise duplication, but, I also like doing abstract stuff with a camera - long exposures in the nighttime,which gives you light patterns and trails, double exposure, and macro-photos (extreme close-ups) Here we go again, I'll give you an example on this thread. This is fun. RC

escorial
February 24th, 2018, 11:01 AM
The cut an constructed piece works..it has a cubist vibe..great stuff

Firemajic
February 24th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Love the vibrant colors....

RC James
February 24th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Thanks majic - not only for the comment, but for venturing out into this forum, I thought you were confined to potree - ha! - RC

Firemajic
February 24th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Thanks majic - not only for the comment, but for venturing out into this forum, I thought you were confined to potree - ha! - RC

LMAO.... Oo, well every now and again, I break my chains and escape... ;)... seriously, I am a fan of Terry D's photography, and I always check on escorials's art work... ;)soo, I do try to cruise through....