PDA

View Full Version : More from the river

Terry D
January 25th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Just a few more shots from my jaunt to the river on Saturday.

20695 20696 20697 20698

H.Brown
January 25th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Great shots Terry, looks like a lovely place for a sunday walk. :-)

Terry D
January 25th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Here are a few more. There were hundreds of eagles and pelicans.

20699 20700 20701 20702

H.Brown
January 25th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Eagles are such majestic creatures, beautiful but also deadly. :-)

Terry D
January 25th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Eagles are such majestic creatures, beautiful but also deadly. :-)

They were having a good hunting day on Saturday. It seemed like every other eagle we saw had a fish in its talons. At one point a large wad of fish-guts landed right between my cousin (a really terrific photographer) and myself.

Firemajic
January 25th, 2018, 06:31 PM
When I saw your first photo, I thought " IS THAT an eagle?" .... hahaa I got so excited... I was hoping it was, then I scrolled on down! OMG!! I am a River Rat... I spend as much time on the river as I can... the river has a very spiritual effect on me, and there is a place I go... and there are eagles there... I would love to have a good camera, and the skill to chronicle my time on the river and the eagles that live there.

Last weekend, I went to Turkey Run State park and spent the night in the Inn... the DNR brings deer that have been killed on the roads, and they put them in this meadow, and the eagles come there to feed.... I had the honor of watching them... The DNR bring the deer there because it is safer for the eagles to eat there, than by a busy highway... they also drag any large carcasses off the road to a safe distance... for the safety of the eagles. I hope you get the chance to post more eagle photos.... thank you for sharing... ;) sorry for rambling on, but I am nuts about eagles... it was a special thing I shared with my mom...

Terry D
January 25th, 2018, 07:24 PM
When I saw your first photo, I thought " IS THAT an eagle?" .... hahaa I got so excited... I was hoping it was, then I scrolled on down! OMG!! I am a River Rat... I spend as much time on the river as I can... the river has a very spiritual effect on me, and there is a place I go... and there are eagles there... I would love to have a good camera, and the skill to chronicle my time on the river and the eagles that live there.

Last weekend, I went to Turkey Run State park and spent the night in the Inn... the DNR brings deer that have been killed on the roads, and they put them in this meadow, and the eagles come there to feed.... I had the honor of watching them... The DNR bring the deer there because it is safer for the eagles to eat there, than by a busy highway... they also drag any large carcasses off the road to a safe distance... for the safety of the eagles. I hope you get the chance to post more eagle photos.... thank you for sharing... ;) sorry for rambling on, but I am nuts about eagles... it was a special thing I shared with my mom...

Glad to bring back some good memories, Juls. I plan to get out again this winter and will post more. I had some problems with my camera/lens on Saturday and none of my eagle pictures were very sharp.

I mentioned my cousin above. Here are a couple of his shots from the same day.

20703 20704 20705

I took almost 600 pictures and didn't get anything near that sharp -- and to top it off, we shoot almost the exact same equipment.

Firemajic
January 25th, 2018, 07:32 PM
OUTSTANDING! The eagle on the tree limb... is it a different kind of eagle, or is it a juvenile Bald Eagle? I think I read somewhere that a Bald Eagle does not get the white head and tail feathers until they are around 5 years old...

-xXx-
January 25th, 2018, 07:43 PM
shooting partner.
how awesome is that!
love your pix, btw.
:)

Terry D
January 25th, 2018, 07:46 PM
OUTSTANDING! The eagle on the tree limb... is it a different kind of eagle, or is it a juvenile Bald Eagle? I think I read somewhere that a Bald Eagle does not get the white head and tail feathers until they are around 5 years old...

You are right, it is a juvenile.