PDA

View Full Version : Ads in your local newspaper

Andrew78
November 1st, 2017, 05:59 PM
Hi,

have yoy ever tried putting ads in your local newspaper to promote a new book that you had just published? what have the results been?

Mikeyboy_esq
November 1st, 2017, 09:47 PM
Hmm. Never tried advertising in my local newspaper. But I like the idea, especially if it is your hometown paper where you grew up (maybe the hometown paper will run a story on you as the Hometown boy/girl who writes a book).

moderan
November 5th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I have, but, as I write sometimes for the local papers, I'm not sure the results weren't influenced by familiarity with the byline.

VonBradstein
November 5th, 2017, 10:09 AM
I have no experience of advertising a book in a newspaper, but for anything else it hasnít really worked out. Back in the nineties I remember newspaper ads and classifieds were the way to go for everything but I suspect that like so much print media newspaper advertising is in its death throes for most people. I mean, think of how few people read newspapers these days compared to in years past and then take into account most people donít buy books on the basis of ads to begin with. Most people buy new authors because of recommendations from people they know or critics they trust or from just browsing around. Youíre asking your potential buyer to see your ad, remember your ad, take that memory with them to the bookstore (or at least the website) and then hopefully buy it. Iím not sure if the ad itself is going to have much influence either way because if theyíre in the market for a new read and interested in your kind of book provided you have it easily available in the obvious places they will most likely find it.

Personally I only buy books from new authors if I am able to read an excerpt for free. Thatís not me being stingy but ultimately Iím on a budget for reading material just like most people and thereís a lot out there that just isnít great. I am unlikely to become interested based on a printed ad.

I mean, I think a hometown paper could work. I think it could also work with certain types of papers and certain types of book. For instance, if you have written a gardening book a lot of papers have home and garden sections. That could definitely work. If itís a biography about a prominent local figure, perhaps one who recently died, advertising in a local paper for that area could work (in in central Ohio and somebody wrote a book a few years back about a legendary OSU football coach and that was all over the papers here) so yeah, exceptions across the board, but putting an ad for a fantasy novel or something in a mainstream paper seems like a probable waste of money IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry D
November 7th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Hi,

have yoy ever tried putting ads in your local newspaper to promote a new book that you had just published? what have the results been?

I have not, but I have sent press releases to area papers and radio stations. These have, in turn, lead to a large feature article about me and the book in a local paper, an article about one of my books in another paper, and two short radio interviews.

Here's an article (https://kindlepreneur.com/book-press-release/) about writing a press release for a book.