PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Life Mosaic

PiP
October 27th, 2017, 09:05 PM
This is my latest mosaic project.

I am creating a mosaic picture from 100's of pieces of cut glass which I cut randomly then try and place on the picture. Progress is extremely slow as I am trying to create movement and colour. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle where you create your own puzzle pieces. The biggest challenge for me is colour as I need to work with what I ahve rather than what I would like.

The picture you can see is under the glass. I then cut and stick the tiles onto the glass to create a pattern.

At the moment I have glue everywhere... I am just hoping I can remove this from the surface of the finished mosaic

TuesdayEve
October 28th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Oh that's beautiful Pip, love the fall colors, that multi-colored glass is gorgeous
Love the symbol in the middle growing upward...

SilverMoon
October 31st, 2017, 07:18 PM
PiPs. I saw movement in the roots (where it all begins) before reading your description. A perfect title, "Tree of Life". Working over glass in ingenious.

I've been there, where I've had limited colours to work with and it can work to your advantage (clearly seen here) because you have to give great thought as to placement.

I've worked with tiles just one. There was no need to create another piece because once you strike on genius, it is best be left at that.

It was a tiled ashtray I made for my parents at Summer Day Camp :smug:

At the moment I have glue everywhere... I am just hoping I can remove this from the surface of the finished mosaic

Can't go wrong with nail polish remover - 100% acetone.

bobo
October 31st, 2017, 10:41 PM
yeah, looks great - good colours :-)
What are those round buttons between the roote ?? - M&Ms ??
- and .... from where do you get those coloured glass ??
More qustions: first you painted, right ?? - then you try to match with glass ?? - or ??

Firemajic
November 26th, 2017, 09:17 PM
PiP, this is stunning! It looks like a stained glass picture.... the glass supply place where I buy my glass rods { ABR Imagery} sells small sheets 4x8 inches or 12x12 inches of the most gorgeous glass ... but I love your idea of finding the glass yourself, it is like a treasure hunt... I hope you show more pics as you go... ;)

TKent
November 27th, 2017, 08:12 PM
WOW!!! This is gorgeous. I adore the style and the colors. Superbilicious.

This is my latest mosaic project.

I am creating a mosaic picture from 100's of pieces of cut glass which I cut randomly then try and place on the picture. Progress is extremely slow as I am trying to create movement and colour. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle where you create your own puzzle pieces. The biggest challenge for me is colour as I need to work with what I ahve rather than what I would like.

The picture you can see is under the glass. I then cut and stick the tiles onto the glass to create a pattern.

PiP
November 27th, 2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks, TK. I am nearly finished the tree... i find mosaics soooo relaxing.

TKent
November 28th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Will it end up being a wall hanging or something else? It truly is gorgeous. I'd love to see this when you are done.

TKent
November 28th, 2017, 12:56 AM
And what are the little round pieces in the roots? Is that part of the glass? It is so interesting.

PiP
November 28th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Will it end up being a wall hanging or something else? It truly is gorgeous. I'd love to see this when you are done.

Yes, it will end up as a wall hanging. :)

And what are the little round pieces in the roots? Is that part of the glass? It is so interesting.

The little round pieces at the bottom of the picture are pins. These hold the glass in place over the picture template underneath. :)

PiP
December 8th, 2017, 01:24 AM
I am getting there slowly. I've moved tiles around for weeks trying to decide how to mosaic the sun and sky... I am not 100% sure about what I've done but the teacher liked it.

PiP
December 16th, 2017, 11:38 PM
I've now started cutting the leaves. Each one takes about ten minutes to cut using glass nippers. It's fiddly but relaxing at the same time.

At the moment I've laid them on the picture to see the effect. I am experimenting with various torquise greens and contrasting with orange and purples. I've still got to cut some fine branches.

I will let it rest now for a day or so in case inspiration takes me down another path.

TKent
December 22nd, 2017, 06:03 PM
Looking fantastic!

PiP
February 8th, 2018, 11:33 PM
I've now started cutting the leaves. Each one takes about ten minutes to cut using glass nippers. It's fiddly but relaxing at the same time.

At the moment I've laid them on the picture to see the effect. I am experimenting with various torquise greens and contrasting with orange and purples. I've still got to cut some fine branches.

I will let it rest now for a day or so in case inspiration takes me down another path.

After a lot of procrastination I spent hours removing all the glass tiles that were meant to represent the sun and sky. The picture had become far to 'busy' for my taste so I stripped it right back to the plain glass. The colour you can see underneath is the original paper pattern guide.

I was going to use large glass panels for the sky but now I am leaning towards painting the sky.

I am renaming this tree: Tree of Patience.

When the picture is eventually finished I am going to mount on a natural wood base.