PDA

View Full Version : Kinds of Poems or Poetry Movements.

Theglasshouse
July 22nd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Anyone with knowledge in poetry or literature (life in general) know any useful movements, in general, and dealt with studying everyday life from the point of a character's point of view?

I might be interested in learning more, since I feel poetry is sort of like a journal of our experiences but art. It could help me remember the past.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and anyone is welcome to discuss anything regarding them.

Firemajic
July 22nd, 2017, 03:47 PM
I don't think I completely understand what you are asking... are you inquiring about different styles of poetry, like Haiku, Villanelle or Sonnets?

Theglasshouse
July 22nd, 2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks firemajic for your response. Appreciate the time you take to help. Not necessarily, style. Trying to ask about realism or fact based or autobiographical poetry (but my knowledge is lacking to answer this question).

Sort of. I know I asked the wrong question probably in the opening post. I know for example there is post modernism. I know there is realism in fiction movements. I want to know if there is something equivalent for people who write poetry and read and analyze them to write a reaction. Can poetry have people as subjects is the question I am trying to ask and belong to a movement or anything, in general, that would help me find these since these real life experiences interest me? My recent interpretation of poetry led me to believe it is an area of interest to me. But then most poetry is autobiographical I know. (fiction and poetry are both worth studying for me)

I want to know what the easiest way would be to read works of poets that specialize in saying something about a person. Would I have to buy a small book of poetry? Or is there a kind of poetry where people are the subject of the poems.

This is researching ways to glimpse into people's lives using poetry as a way of studying emotions so I can remember my past experiences. I know it probably is present in some poems where there is sort of a narrative going on. Not sure if narrative poetry is what I was thinking.

So I want to know of narrative poems and others like it. The second want is probably a difficult one. Poets who wrote about historical people or autobiographical that anyone may know? I know for example Annabelle Lee by Edgar Allen Poe is based on fact. I read an interesting analysis about it. That when Annabelle died, Edgar Allen Poe was close to death. That freezing preserves the beauty and so forth. Things like this I want to find to analyze childhood for instance. Not sure if the poem belongs to a category of poetry. Change happens in poetry. I want to read how people lived their lives.

I know I can read on Shakespeare. (own his collection in one book). It might be the author I figure.

I want to analyze the poems to see how it can remind me of past experiences. Analyze poems to see a reaction and that way understand the poem and remember something by reading. Themes help, but I tried my best to ask the question.

Firemajic
July 22nd, 2017, 06:04 PM
Thanks firemajic for your response. Appreciate the time you take to help.

I want to know what the easiest way would be to read works of poets that specialize in saying something about a person. Would I have to buy a small book of poetry? Or is there a kind of poetry where people are the subject of the poems.

So I want to know of narrative poems and others like it. The second want is probably a difficult one. Poets who wrote about historical people or autobiographical that anyone may know? I know for example Annabelle Lee by Edgar Allen Poe is based on fact.

When I am looking for a specific type of subject matter in a poem,I type it in at the top of my laptop screen, over on the left, at the very top, and then a bunch of options come up, the best one is Poemhunter.com
for instance, I could type in "Poems about life and death" ...
wish I could offer something more, but I don't know how to add a link to a website... :(

Darkkin
July 22nd, 2017, 10:04 PM
Look into Charles Bukowski.

sas
July 23rd, 2017, 12:10 PM
Would Elegies have what you are looking for? They are always about people. Maybe go to PoemHunter and put in elegies.

jenthepen
July 23rd, 2017, 09:25 PM
I think you might be interested in Autobiographical poetry. This is the type of poetry that is written about the poet's own life and experiences. It is a sub genre of Life poetry. If you Google 'autobiographical poetry' you will find a lot of sites that deal with it, teach it and give examples.

ireneintheworld
July 24th, 2017, 12:15 AM
Best way to find what you're looking for is by asking others to refer you to poems and poets they know - which is just what you're doing :) and I agree with all that's been said...and would add - Sylvia Plath, Jackie Kay and her Adoption Diaries, Liz Lochhead, and a collection from a guy called Owen Sheers that is very biographical and blew me away, 'Skirrid Hill'.

Theglasshouse
July 26th, 2017, 02:22 AM
I appreciate the replies. I'll give these a read when I am not doing anything. Apparently there is a lot I need to catch up on but I am not overwhelmed but pleased that I got lots of answers. Hopefully they do inspire me to write. If anything autobigraphy, elegies, and by Charles Bukowski. All are excellent suggestions, hopefully I did not leave anyone's replies out, I valued all these. Thanks everyone, been away since I was reading and I value highly regarded opinions such as the people who post here. Sorry for the late reply, but I most defintely will look into the suggestions.

Edited: loving Sylvia Path's work and I am currently reading on it. Learning new poets has been helpful. Using the poetryhunter to google these as was suggested by Firemajic.

Space Cadet
July 28th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Introduction to Poetry
BY BILLY COLLINS (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/billy-collins)

I ask them to take a poem

and hold it up to the light

like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem

and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem’s room

and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski

across the surface of a poem

waving at the author’s name on the shore.

But all they want to do

is tie the poem to a chair with rope

and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose

to find out what it really means.

Billy Collins, “Introduction to Poetry” from The Apple that Astonished Paris. Copyright � 1988, 1996 by Billy Collins. Reprinted with the permission of the University of Arkansas Press.

I think you'll find that there are less autobiographical poems out there than one would think. I find poems without the poet involved in the work to be the most fun. There are a lot of great contemporary poets out there that touch on the subject(s) your seeking. Remember, the subjects written about in the world of poetry are limited, and this has been consistent since the beginning. The many beautiful/unique/different/distinctive ways in which these same subjects are conveyed time and time again exist in great portions. Read the good, bad, and mediocre.

Searching for a set of poems (or author) that hit a nerve may be tough to find at first, so that's why it's important to read works from many authors.
Perhaps it may be easiest to start contemporary and go backwards. Thanks for your post. This is merely my view. -- Wesley