PDA

View Full Version : Stranger

Matt Styles Illistrada
April 27th, 2017, 06:57 AM
I don't recognize the person in the mirror anymore, I see it is physically me but yet it is not, the person in the mirror has changed, I hate that person, yet that is the person I am becoming; I can't change him back anymore because that old person is not welcome in society. He is shun down on and can no longer live that way. Emotions must go out the door as well as his kindness, the kindness that makes him who he was. If I was him once again, I would have chosen a different path, a path were he would be welcomed into a society that would love him because their is no love for him here, society is a cruel mistress. She takes what she wants and and throws away what is unworthy for herself. He will never be missed.

Mutimir
April 28th, 2017, 02:30 AM
Society isn't always right. In fact, it is rarely right. It is compassion that is right more often than not.

Bard_Daniel
May 2nd, 2017, 03:37 AM
Description that speaks for itself. Are you planning on incorporating this into a story or...?

Matt Styles Illistrada
May 2nd, 2017, 06:36 AM
Description that speaks for itself. Are you planning on incorporating this into a story or...?

Not sure were I want to go with this, just something I though up at night while I was trying to go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustRob
May 18th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Not sure were I want to go with this, just something I though up at night while I was trying to go to bed.

The witching hours for writers are often in the twilight of consciousness just before and after sleeping. Keep a notebook handy. At that time we are somewhere between reality and eventuality, the place where some go to wonder "What if ...?" and others to muse "If only ..." There are many dimensions to eventuality though and many ways that the mind may turn there to get a different perspective on life, the life past and the one to come. Dickens got it right when he wrote A Christmas Carol.

Good stories can come from deep within the psyche, a place that nobody truly understands. The skill is in translating what one senses to be there into a form that can be passed into the minds of others, your readers. Maybe they will relate to the feelings that you want to express if you can find the words to do that. Wrapping these profound thoughts up in a more mundane story to give them a physical context will assist in the process, but do not lose the message, the essential motif, as a consequence. Writing can often involve saying one thing while meaning another.

I am currently reading Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass, which is itself a profoundly clever story by a clever man. The idea of a person being in two minds, as represented by their observation of themself in a mirror, is frequently used in literature. I used it in the first chapter of my novel HERE (http://www.writingforums.com/threads/154180-NUAT-Chapter-1-5320-words-(Suggestive-scantily-clad-girl-is-disappointed)?p=1923063&viewfull=1#post1923063). The girl in my story is deciding whether she wants to be the person that she is or the other one beyond the mirror and she goes to bed thinking about that. This is summarised in these words.

The two figures stood, hands pressed together, and then simultaneously slowly nodded. They stepped back and as one turned to her right to leave by one door the other turned to her left to leave by another.
This is just physically someone leaning against her mirror turning and leaving the bathroom to go to bed, but it is saying something else as well. Don't get too immersed in the sentiments but provide a physical image for the reader to back them up. This kind of writing is all about wrapping ideas up to make interesting parcels for the reader's mind to unwrap.

So, listen to your psyche but then bring the message into the physical world to write about it there.

Ruru
May 23rd, 2017, 05:37 AM
I saw the title and thought that its similar to what I have once written which I titled "The stranger in the mirror". Then I read the first line and realized its quite the same, but not entirely.
This is a part of it.
"Why do I see a stranger when I look at her through that reflective glass frame? Why don't I see myself when I know that girl is me?
I've seen her before but I don't know her. That still expression, that silence, and those clothes are not recognizable to me. They do not belong with that face. At times, it is like I'm staring at a faceless person. Not knowing what thoughts or feelings that go through her mind and heart because she does not show it.
Other times, it is like I am staring at an impostor who tries to fool the world by wearing that uniform like everyone else. The clothes she wears does not go with the face she has. Not because those clothes do not represent her, but because those clothes represent something else. When she is with others, she is someone else and when she is being someone else, she always has those clothes on. Those clothes represent the stranger I see."