PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Poets

The Fantastical
February 11th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I have noticed that we don't have a thread for this and I think we need one. Those poets that influence us and who inspire us to write more are important and we all have a few... so who are your favorite modern (still alive) or up and coming poets? And Why?

Ptolemy
February 11th, 2017, 08:15 AM
I don't know about you, but that Ptolemy guy was pretty good.

The Fantastical
February 11th, 2017, 08:20 AM
lol...

aj47
February 11th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Still alive, I'll have to go with songwriters ... I backed into poetry through the side door of lyrics via parody and so my major influences write lyrics. I have weird tastes in what I really like in lyrics, so there's a diversity. Al Stewart, Tim Griffin, and Weird Al Yankovic—they are my influences. My narrative stuff owes heavily to Stewart—he doesn't sacrifice story to rhyme but his stuff rhymes. Tim Griffin writes about science/math/geek. Weird Al is the parody deity. If you listen to their stuff, and then read my non-senryu—you'll see their reflections.

escorial
February 11th, 2017, 04:26 PM
dead poets and authors seem to be my bag..quite like john cooper clark(alive) but i have never bought a book of his work

Darkkin
February 11th, 2017, 06:24 PM
I was born in the wrong century...All my favourite poets are dead.

escorial
February 11th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I was born in the wrong century...All my favourite poets are dead.

golden age thinker..

Ariel
February 11th, 2017, 07:21 PM
There is a thread. The title doesn't say "Favorite Poets" but there is a thread and it was on the first page of this board.

http://www.writingforums.com/threads/169514-inspiration

PiP
February 11th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I think the difference with this thread is that FT is interested in modern poets who are still alive. :)

My favourite poet for pure entertainment value is Pam Ayres

Ariel
February 11th, 2017, 07:57 PM
One of my favorite up and coming poets is in my poetry workshop.

http://www.musepiepress.com/shotglass/issue19/cameron_morse1.html

I've watched his poetry gain depth. He's very driven and he writes beautiful, modern poetry.

Bloggsworth
February 11th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Rosie Shepperd - Her prize winning pamphlet "That So Easy Thing."

escorial
February 11th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I think the difference with this thread is that FT is interested in modern poets who are still alive. :)

My favourite poet for pure entertainment value is Pam Ayres

The Fantastical
February 11th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Still alive, I'll have to go with songwriters ... I backed into poetry through the side door of lyrics via parody and so my major influences write lyrics. I have weird tastes in what I really like in lyrics, so there's a diversity. Al Stewart, Tim Griffin, and Weird Al Yankovic—they are my influences. My narrative stuff owes heavily to Stewart—he doesn't sacrifice story to rhyme but his stuff rhymes. Tim Griffin writes about science/math/geek. Weird Al is the parody deity. If you listen to their stuff, and then read my non-senryu—you'll see their reflections.

I LOVE Weird Al Yankovic! Have your heard his "Word Crimes" song? It is hysterically funny... :p

aj47
February 11th, 2017, 11:55 PM
The first song I ever heard of his was "Another One Rides the Bus" in the spring of 1981. It was a life-changing moment because I heard it on the radio. A parody. Of Queen. And a good one! And I grew up visiting relatives in Wisconsin--this was Frankie Yankovic's kid! WOW!!!

ETA: I need to clarify (I thought everyone knew but I got a PM) -- Weird Al is NOT Frankie Yankovic's son--but I didn't find that out until the 1990's sometime. Frankie was a big name in the polka scene. There were two TV channels when I was growing up -- pretty much everywhere we went, home or visiting relatives, and in Wisconsin, on the weekend evenings, one was polka.

Pennywise Purple
February 21st, 2017, 10:44 AM
Robert Frost - Dude is amazing and so intellectually sound in his words and meanings
Edgar Allen Poe - The Raven was one of the inspirations for me to write as a poet
Emily Dickinson - So sad how she lived or wanted to. But brought out her magic in paragraphs
T.S Eliot - Sharp of tongue and wit. He is a marvel imo.

The Fantastical
February 21st, 2017, 10:48 AM
Robert frost was great...

Pennywise Purple
February 21st, 2017, 11:11 AM
He was like, the center of the room guy, in a room full of people.
The guy that lit up the audience and said the best jokes.

You know, the popular, but nice kind of popularity.
Not like some folks you see in the media these days.

The Fantastical
February 21st, 2017, 11:18 AM
I think one of my favorite poems of his is The Road Not Taken... it is really captured something that has stayed with me. Now whenever I come across a road less walked wither in the woods or life, I always try and choose the less traveled road.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

Pennywise Purple
February 21st, 2017, 11:23 AM
That brings me back... I was researching some inspiring poets to work from.
In terms of developing a theme and style of writing palette.

Frost was like the winter that gave.
He just kept raining down idea after idea for me.

If he was still around, I'd give him personal props!

The Fantastical
February 21st, 2017, 02:45 PM
That brings me back... I was researching some inspiring poets to work from.
In terms of developing a theme and style of writing palette.

Frost was like the winter that gave.
He just kept raining down idea after idea for me.

If he was still around, I'd give him personal props!

It is amazing how almost everyone has that... person or book that just is "IT" for them. As a prose writer that book is most possibly The Lord of the Rings and as an almost poet it would have to be Roald Dahl with his book of Revolting Rhymes (which explain a lot about... me) but I just cant help but be swept up into the world that he creates and not be inspired to write down my own OTT wide imaginings. The Same with Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. Although I found that later in life. :)

Some of my favorites are -

https://allpoetry.com/The-Three-Little-Pigs

https://allpoetry.com/poem/8503193-The-Pig-by-Roald-Dahl

And a clip from the video of Revolting Rhymes, I think the copy we had in out house was worn almost through in places!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHn2v3dz5E

Pennywise Purple
February 21st, 2017, 06:49 PM
It is amazing how almost everyone has that... person or book that just is "IT" for them. As a prose writer that book is most possibly The Lord of the Rings and as an almost poet it would have to be Roald Dahl with his book of Revolting Rhymes (which explain a lot about... me) but I just cant help but be swept up into the world that he creates and not be inspired to write down my own OTT wide imaginings. The Same with Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. Although I found that later in life. :)

As you say! It's a joy absolutely, if you do find that special someone to draw from.
Be it a writer, poet, painter or your own mother!

For the talent to be drawn from and nurtured, given life.
In regards to myself.

A poetry club meet was formed, due to my workings at a plan for disability allowance changes.
I kind of run it to be honest. Unofficially.

The Fantastical
February 21st, 2017, 07:19 PM
As you say! It's a joy absolutely, if you do find that special someone to draw from.
Be it a writer, poet, painter or your own mother!

For the talent to be drawn from and nurtured, given life.
In regards to myself.

A poetry club meet was formed, due to my workings at a plan for disability allowance changes.
I kind of run it to be honest. Unofficially.

That must be fun, having a group like that. Someone or someones too share the passion with.

Ariel
February 21st, 2017, 07:33 PM
It can be fun. It can also be annoying.

Pennywise Purple
February 21st, 2017, 07:34 PM
That must be fun, having a group like that. Someone or someones too share the passion with.
One of my big dreams actually. To see it fulfilled brought a tear to my eye, I'll be honest.
I was never much of a dreamer or dream seeker. I am starting to be now.

The Fantastical
February 21st, 2017, 08:29 PM
One of my big dreams actually. To see it fulfilled brought a tear to my eye, I'll be honest.
I was never much of a dreamer or dream seeker. I am starting to be now.

Then every effort to being it about was worth it :). Things that bring us joy and make our lives better, even if it is in a small way, are so important. To chase our dreams is a important part of joy, and life...

RhythmOvPain
February 21st, 2017, 08:31 PM
IDGAF, I'm saying it:

Astroannie.

Ever since that damn poem she posted about C++ coding.

Easily the best poem I ever read.

BUMP: http://www.writingforums.com/threads/155993-pow(x-y)?highlight=