PDA

View Full Version : Still playing with pixels

LeeC
January 23rd, 2017, 07:41 PM
I'm working on illustrating my book, and I never know when to quit tweaking an illustration. Any constructive criticism re this sample?

[click to enlarge]

TKent
January 23rd, 2017, 08:36 PM
very cool!! i don't think it needs any more detail personally.

LeeC
January 26th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Thanks TK. I must have hit the right balance with this one. I put it up as a post on Twitter last night, and tonight it took me four hours to catch up with all the retweets of it.

As to detail, we all look at things differently. When you see a bear in your neck of the woods, you're likely focused pretty much on only the bear, and the extra detail in my illustration distracts. Being more of a naturalist observer, I notice everything around the primary point of interest, as for example the Blue Jay in the background of the illustration.

There's so much beauty in Nature to see if we open our eyes to it. An underlying point in this illustration that many won't get, is that Nature is also black and white. Meaning of course that Nature doesn't excuse ignorance. All life forms are equal and necessary (including plants) in this physical life fueled by life model of the natural world. Of course it all keeps changing (evolving) as with our activities accelerating evolution.

Did you know that we humans didn't even understand the concept of extinction until the early 1800s when naturalist Jean-Léopold-Nicolas-Frédéric Cuvier put the idea forward. And now, all the evidence is pointing towards our being a major factor in a sixth great extinction. Do we focus on fictional horror stories to keep from thinking about the real horrors we are creating? ;-)

Take care