PDA

View Full Version : Poetry RULZS!!!

Firemajic
January 17th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I am all for forging my own, unique poetry path, really ;) ... BUT... There are some aesthetics and rules that should be remembered, or at least the common CONCEPT of poetry should be religiously adhered to...

What makes a poem a poem and not a short story or prose presented in poetic stanzas?

1. Poetic language...

2. Rhythm/flow... not to be confused with RHYME.
3. Structure...

Poetry is about expression... expression of emotions using poetic language, imagery and rhythm... jmo... ;)

Darkkin
January 17th, 2017, 06:52 PM
You mean the absolute truth: Because I say it is... is not an absolute truth! :wink:

Firemajic
January 17th, 2017, 06:59 PM
You mean the absolute truth: Because I say it is... is not an absolute truth! :wink:

LOL... yeah, you can't fool me... don't serve me chopped liver and tell me it is steak... well of course liver and steak are both meat, but you cant substitute one for the other...

Darkkin
January 17th, 2017, 07:10 PM
But...It wasn't liver; that was sushi. At least it was supposed to be sushi. :-k Protein is protein, right?

midnightpoet
January 17th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Old movie quote - "We don't need no stinkin' rules!" :D

OKay, I'll go away.

Firemajic
January 17th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Old movie quote - "We don't need no stinkin' rules!" :D

OKay, I'll go away.

Hummm, a rebel... I can relate to that... okk, midnight, let us call them... resolutions... you know, like your new years list of resolutions your wife wrote for you... now THAT was some good writing... ;)

midnightpoet
January 17th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Well, I thought I'd interject some humor before you two took the gloves off...:joker:

No, after trying Haiku on the June contest and feeling like I was in a straight jacket I felt like breaking some chains...(actually I agree with your first post). I'll admit the experience teaches you to discipline your words.

sas
January 18th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Hmmm. Unsure about poetic language as a "must" component for a poem. This could mislead novice poetry writers. Plain-speak can be quite effective. Or, did you mean something else...just what is "poetic language". I use whatever fits.

midnightpoet
January 18th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Poetry can mean different things to different people, and "poetic language" can have more than one definition. Haven't we had "what is poetry" threads already? Scratch several poets, and they'll all bleed a different color.

Look, if you're writing poetry for yourself, you can call it whatever you like. If you are in a contest, or wishing publication, follow whatever rules apply - but it you can break all the rules and still get published, that's great also. Pedants can go home and cry in their beer.
Get a grip, poets!

:D

Firemajic
January 18th, 2017, 11:08 PM
This is so simple... what IS poetry??????

Writing that formulates a CONCENTRATED, IMAGINATIVE awareness of EXPERIENCE in LANGUAGE chosen and arranged to create a SPECIFIC EMOTIONAL RESPONSE through:
1: Meaning
2: Sound
3: Rhythm

says WHO? Merriam Webster

Hope this helps, and Dear midnight, these are not really RULZ... more like a blue print, or a recipe ... guidelines, roadmap, template... formula... ;)

Absolem
January 19th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Poe has interesting poetic theories. He says poetry has for its "immediate object, pleasure, not truth."

Firemajic
January 19th, 2017, 02:32 AM
Poe has interesting poetic theories. He says poetry has for its "immediate object, pleasure, not truth."

But what does that have to do with the RULZ of poetry..... ?

Cran
April 18th, 2017, 03:24 PM
This is so simple...
Objection! Misleading the witness.

Sustained. The respondent must understand that simple does not mean easy; that, in our collective experience, the simplest questions to ask are more likely to be the hardest questions to answer empirically or with unchallenged consensus.

what IS poetry?
A most fitting example. Right up there with What is Love? Or, What is Beauty? Or, Where Did I Leave My Keys?

Writing that formulates a CONCENTRATED, IMAGINATIVE awareness of EXPERIENCE in LANGUAGE chosen and arranged to create a SPECIFIC EMOTIONAL RESPONSE through:
1: Meaning
2: Sound
3: Rhythm

says WHO? Merriam Webster

A synthesised description of form, which may or may not be universal, and which may or may not include all of the criteria in every example.

After much libation, er, deliberation, I find that my previous answer to this question remains the best that I have ever encountered:

Poetry is in the ear of the beer-holder, ah, beholder.

Firemajic
April 18th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Objection! Misleading the witness.

Sustained. The respondent must understand that simple does not mean easy; that, in our collective experience, the simplest questions to ask are more likely to be the hardest questions to answer empirically or with unchallenged consensus.

A most fitting example. Right up there with What is Love? Or, What is Beauty? Or, Where Did I Leave My Keys?

A synthesised description of form, which may or may not be universal, and which may or may not include all of the criteria in every example.

After much libation, er, deliberation, I find that my previous answer to this question remains the best that I have ever encountered:

Poetry is in the ear of the beer-holder, ah, beholder.

Well, yeah, you have a point... anyway, I often disagree with myself, I do not like Rulzs, they bore me... ;)
"

escorial
April 20th, 2017, 04:56 PM
break em all firemajic and make your own up..then break them to

Firemajic
April 22nd, 2017, 03:09 PM
break em all firemajic and make your own up..then break them to

Right on... ;)