PDA

View Full Version : How to be happy (Flash fiction)

rickyknight1
January 11th, 2017, 03:45 AM
I wake up at 5 am, and Im already feeling the pangs of suicidal thoughts, they are thoughts I ceased having a long time ago. Yet they still find a way to remain. They’re a cascade of demons, descending from my past, when I ventured into darkness.

I get out of my bed, and suddenly, I catch a captivating moment, happening in my bathroom mirror; In the next room over. *I look intently as if, I were staring into the face of another man. My style is in need of *change, and my hair doesn’t suit me anymore. I'm not sure what does. So I grab my electric razor from the sink, next to my medication and sleeping pills; and I start shaving. Then I watch. Almost helplessly, as the hairs fall off my scalp the same way my life’s falling apart.

Like things with my girlfriend Sanji, a girl from kenya, whom I met in my philosophy class. Claims she doesn’t recognize me anymore, and that I'm not the same man she fell in love with. So I finish cutting just as my new self takes over, and I discover a shining face during its grimaces of rebirth.

I seem to be out of touch with many things, and basic human warmth--is one of them. I tend to daydream into my own fantasies, while Sanji constantly asks me, what’s wrong? I don’t ever truly give an answer because there is none. I find that all journeys leading north will eventually be leading south. Everything is connected.

When I mention this she simply calls me absurd.

So I do the honest thing, and I let her dump me, but not without trying to stop her.

“Sanji--I love you. You know we shouldn’t end like this,” I said to her while standing on the sidewalk--outside of her apartment, next to the street.

“I don’t care anymore David. You need to figure out what you want, so it can keep you busy.” She replied; while talking from the open window of her living room. Sanji and I are like day and night. But we’ve managed to make things work, up until now.

“You know that I love you,” She continues, “But you’ve got some serious issues you need to figure out.”

“Look, I know things with my family are really bad. I made a lot of mistakes ok but why can’t you forgive that?!”

“I do forgive you honey, but the truth is you haven’t forgiven yourself. I just need to give you--some time off.” She finished. It was the last time I said goodbye.

The following weeks I started immersing myself within my studies, I learned the history of the Romans; and how their empire came to be. Then I learned of the death of Julius caesar, and I took this as a sign. Like my fallen hair, like my broken bones, I was now dead in front of a fallen empire.

This means it is time for me to pick up the pieces, and start life all over again.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk

dither
January 22nd, 2017, 11:36 AM
rickyknight1,

i can relate to this and i feel so much of it but for me it's incomplete. You're probably aware of that. As a reader i want more and i can't say/don't know why. I just know that i'm not ready to accept the bottom line. And then, maybe the bottom line is just wrong.
Good start though.

Regards,

dither...

rickyknight1
January 22nd, 2017, 03:59 PM
rickyknight1,

i can relate to this and i feel so much of it but for me it's incomplete. You're probably aware of that. As a reader i want more and i can't say/don't know why. I just know that i'm not ready to accept the bottom line. And then, maybe the bottom line is just wrong.
Good start though.

Regards,

dither...
yes, I knew that I need to write a part two

jenthepen
January 22nd, 2017, 04:20 PM
I understand dither's critique (above) and I think you could improve the power of the story and give more impact to the upbeat ending by moving a couple of lines. If you cut the ending from this line; So I do the honest thing,(no comma necessary here) and I let her dump me. but not without trying to stop her. and move it to immediately below this one;
“I do forgive you honey, but the truth is you haven’t forgiven yourself. I just need to give you--some time off.” She finished. It was the last time I said goodbye.
it rounds off the relationship and allows the last few lines and the conclusion to stand alone and forge a new direction, like this...

“I do forgive you honey, but the truth is you haven’t forgiven yourself. I just need to give you--some time off.” She finished.
So I do the honest thing and let her dump me.

Further to what dither said, this story might work well as the first part of a series of flash pieces, where we hear more of this new direction of life and where it takes David.

rickyknight1
January 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM
I understand dither's critique (above) and I think you could improve the power of the story and give more impact to the upbeat ending by moving a couple of lines. If you cut the ending from this line; So I do the honest thing,(no comma necessary here) and I let her dump me. but not without trying to stop her. and move it to immediately below this one;
it rounds off the relationship and allows the last few lines and the conclusion to stand alone and forge a new direction, like this...

“I do forgive you honey, but the truth is you haven’t forgiven yourself. I just need to give you--some time off.” She finished.
So I do the honest thing and let her dump me.

Further to what dither said, this story might work well as the first part of a series of flash pieces, where we hear more of this new direction of life and where it takes David.
Yes, my brain is already BURNING with ideas :)

Absolem
January 25th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I'm interested to see where this goes. Write part 2.

jable1066
January 25th, 2017, 07:44 PM
It seems like you have a lot to say - and have just come out and splurged it all on the page.

I think if you slowed down, took your time and worked on each paragraph you could come up with a more compelling dialogue.

Personally - I feel like the simple writing flaws (grammar, wording etc.) are distracting me and thus, blocking me from breaking the surface and getting into the meat of the story.

I also agree it should go somewhere i.e part 2.

JB