PDA

View Full Version : inspiration

Absolem
January 1st, 2017, 03:52 PM
Who's a poet that inspires you? I'd have to say Edgar Allen Poe. His work has influenced the bulk of my current collection greatly. He can be hit and miss I'll admit that but when he's on he's frickin on. I've heard popular poets of the time refer to him as the "jingle man" and say pretty much that his poetry is like a fizzling out light but I just can't help myself. Love the stuff.

What about you?

Ell337
January 1st, 2017, 04:03 PM
in all honesty almost too many to mention. I read a lot of poetry!

I guess though if I had to choose I do have a few favourites (hold your horses the list is coming) ...

Gerald Manly Hopkins
Rupert Brooke
Ogden Nash
Dorothy Parker
William Wordsworth
William Blake
William Carlos Williams
Emily Dickinson
Lewis Carol
Edward Lear
Dylan Thomas

See the problem ... I keep thinking of more ... LOL

Ariel
January 1st, 2017, 04:25 PM
William Shakespeare
William Blake
William Carlos Williams
Edgar Allen Poe
Emily Dickinson
Rainer Maria Rilke
Dylan Thomas
Pablo Neruda
Robert Frost
Elizabeth Barret Browning
Sylvia Plath

The members of my workshop group and members of the forums here.

There are other places I find inspiration as well.

aj47
January 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM
I'm more influenced by lyricists as I'm the tie-dyed sheep that came to poetry through the side-door of lyrics. It's not that I don't read poetry, it's that what you're exposed to earlier has a bigger influence, I believe. If it's poets, it's folks like Byron.

In no order

Weird Al
Tom Smith
Al Stewart
Steve Goodman
Mitch Lawyer

Ariel
January 1st, 2017, 05:01 PM
Leonard Cohen

Hallelujah is beautifully written.

Absolem
January 1st, 2017, 10:26 PM
in all honesty almost too many to mention. I read a lot of poetry!

I guess though if I had to choose I do have a few favourites (hold your horses the list is coming) ...

Gerald Manly Hopkins
Rupert Brooke
Ogden Nash
Dorothy Parker
William Wordsworth
William Blake
William Carlos Williams
Emily Dickinson
Lewis Carol
Edward Lear
Dylan Thomas

See the problem ... I keep thinking of more ... LOL

Yeah, I definitely need to expand my range. Ive read a little from some of the poets you mentioned but I'm not familiar with them by any means. I think I'll check out lewis carol.

@astroannie yeah I'm more influenced by lyricists as well. Especially rap.

ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord
January 1st, 2017, 11:52 PM
I love Tennyson and Yeats, sometimes e. e. cummings; I know that Blake and Byron have already been mentioned, but they're fantastic. Sometimes, however, it isn't just other poetry that gives influence: something as simple as a cleverly worded song title can provide inspiration, too.

sas
January 2nd, 2017, 12:37 AM
I seem to like my poets breathing:

Ocean Vuong, age 28, is refreshing in theme and form. His work is riveting. I'm glad he's young so I might read him the rest of my life. I'm hopeful you've all read him.

Thomas Lynch (old like me, but breathing yet, like me) who actually lives nearby and I've met. I've made a mess of his book, Still Life in Milford, by re-reading it; and now it's water stained from hot tub. A treasure and inspiration in a style that only appears simple.

I search out contemporary poets, not well known. I generally now leave the dead ones alone. I'll join them soon enough. Smiles. Sas

Darkkin
January 2nd, 2017, 02:39 AM
I like the old school poets, but my sources of inspiration remain a bit more simple. The light as it plays along the bluffs, the trees as they duel with the wind, Zwi, my greyhound as he stretches into a full on racing stride, Rue Dog as he howls, his simple delight in fresh snow. The sight of a fox at play, their sheer joy at being alive. Words or phrases I stumble across at work. Working in a bookstore does have a few perks, I happened across the word lollop while straightening the dictionaries. Oh, the horrors that unleashed on the unsuspecting forum...

But the heart beat of everything I do rests in music. And my library of it is massive, it is one of my few indulgences. I listen to styles ranging from classical to soundtracks to alternative rock. The only major exceptions being rap and free form jazz. Both styles make me twitch. I like patterns, repetition...Melodic lines I can get lost in. It is a whacked out approach, but it's the only method I have.

Bard_Daniel
January 2nd, 2017, 05:19 AM
Allen Ginsberg
Wilfred Owen
William Shakespeare
Charles Bukowski
Sylvia Plath
e.e cummings (LOVE him)
Homer
Edgar Allan Poe (of course)

To name a few. :D

Absolem
January 3rd, 2017, 07:53 PM
But the heart beat of everything I do rests in music. And my library of it is massive, it is one of my few indulgences. I listen to styles ranging from classical to soundtracks to alternative rock. The only major exceptions being rap and free form jazz. Both styles make me twitch. I like patterns, repetition...Melodic lines I can get lost in. It is a whacked out approach, but it's the only method I have.
I love rap. It inspires my poetry greatly. Do you like post rock? Seems like a genre you'd be into if you like classical music.

sas
January 4th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Absolem...as I'm officially old (FYI: I never need to ask anymore if I'm old enough for senior discount) it came as a shock to me that I often like rap-style poetry. I never would have sought it out. And, that is the fabulous thing about poetry groups. An unexplored world opens. I'm gonna hate when The Door closes.

Absolem
January 4th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Absolem...as I'm officially old (FYI: I never need to ask anymore if I'm old enough for senior discount) it came as a shock to me that I often like rap-style poetry. I never would have sought it out. And, that is the fabulous thing about poetry groups. An unexplored world opens. I'm gonna hate when The Door closes.

Its the best form of poetry in my humble opinion. Nothing beats a solid rhyme scheme.

Ariel
January 4th, 2017, 03:26 PM
There are many things in poetry that beat out rhyme schemes--especially rhyme schemes that are forced. However the backing rhythm that rap creates is always nice and when combined with a good rhyme scheme it creates an interesting and complex sound that is rather pleasing.

Firemajic
January 4th, 2017, 04:28 PM
BUT, there are many ways to create rhythm and rhyme, and for me, I love a subtle, unobtrusive rhyme, one the enhances but does not dominate... ;)

sas
February 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I now know why poetry is dead. For the most part, the poets listed are dead.

midnightpoet
February 12th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Most of the poets that have inspired me are no longer here, but I have read contemporary poets - just can't remember names. Poe, Sanders, Frost, and a few not so well known like Edward Arlington Robinson. Rod McKuen is a guilty pleasure (yeah, I know). Songwriters like Paul Simon and Bob Dylan are poets setting words to music. I'm deaf in one ear, so some singers (or rap artists) I have trouble understanding.

Penny090
February 17th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Old school - William Blake
Contemporary - Tracy K. Smith

Pennywise Purple
February 21st, 2017, 11:57 AM
Inspirations: Music, Film and television
and dark songs, poems in general.

Also world cultures and their well kept secrets.