PDA

View Full Version : New Reality TV Show - Protection

Throughy
October 26th, 2016, 01:48 AM
I am developing a concept for a TV reality show. That I believe to be very unique.

Since the airtime programming will be based on real life cases, initially sought out from the public and then later submitted by viewers,what might be an option for affording protection before pitching the idea?

For example (and I wouldn't do this) you intend to develop "The Housewives of Atlanta" or "Hoarders" -- how would you go about protecting this before presenting?

Ptolemy
October 26th, 2016, 01:54 AM
I am developing a concept for a TV reality show. That I believe to be very unique.

Since the airtime programming will be based on real life cases, initially sought out from the public and then later submitted by viewers,what might be an option for affording protection before pitching the idea?

For example (and I wouldn't do this) you intend to develop "The Housewives of Atlanta" or "Hoarders" -- how would you go about protecting this before presenting?

Couldn't you file a copyright on the name and characters? That is my best guess.

aj47
October 26th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I am not a legal professional.

Ideas can't be copyrighted but treatments can. Would that be an option for you?

Ptolemy
October 26th, 2016, 02:07 AM
I am not a legal professional.

Ideas can't be copyrighted but treatments can. Would that be an option for you?

If he pitches the project then he can get it copyrighted, I'm pretty sure you can copyright/trademark/patent any idea, word, media, name, brand within reason.

So that could be a solution

Throughy
October 26th, 2016, 02:19 AM
As of now, there are no names. Characters are unknown as of this point. They are yet to be discovered.
Yet the characters are of a certain type.

It is more like, going with the situation as it arrives. How would you do "America's Got Talent" without yet settling on the judges?

I could write the intro, (something so short could easily be changed) but that's about it.

aj47
October 26th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Oh, dear. I just happen to have my textbook handy... I may not be a legal professional but Mr. Litwak is.
To be eligible for a copyright, a work must meet four criteria:

It must be original
it must be an "expression of an author"
it must be of a non-utilitarian nature.
it must be in a fixed, tangible medium of expression.1

Ideas, themes, and titles are never copyrightable. On the other hand, books, plays, and movies are copyrightable. The former are not considered expressions of an author, while the latter are.2

1 Litwak, Mark. Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry: From Negotiations to Final Contracts. Los Angeles: Silman-James, 2009. Print. p. 303
2Ibid. p 305

Ptolemy
October 26th, 2016, 02:43 AM
Oh, dear. I just happen to have my textbook handy... I may not be a legal professional but Mr. Litwak is.
To be eligible for a copyright, a work must meet four criteria:

It must be original
it must be an "expression of an author"
it must be of a non-utilitarian nature.
it must be in a fixed, tangible medium of expression.1

Ideas, themes, and titles are never copyrightable. On the other hand, books, plays, and movies are copyrightable. The former are not considered expressions of an author, while the latter are.2

1 Litwak, Mark. Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry: From Negotiations to Final Contracts. Los Angeles: Silman-James, 2009. Print. p. 303
2Ibid. p 305

Well consider me law professionaled

Olly Buckle
October 26th, 2016, 09:24 PM
That I believe to be very unique.

Sorry, not to answer your query, but to remember if you pitch it. Unique is unique, an absolute, you can't have degrees of it.