PDA

View Full Version : Server Change Up

Cran
July 19th, 2016, 11:09 AM
We may experience about half an hour or so of downtime so that we can move to a major upgrade on our server.

After the move, things should be much faster and smoother for everyone.

Sonata
July 19th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up Cran.

The site was down for me yesterday afternoon for about an hour - was there any reason for that?

Schrody
July 19th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Well, it was pretty slow these days (everything else worked fine, so it's not my Internet connection).

mrmustard615
July 19th, 2016, 11:46 AM
You picked a good day. I'm heading out to do my laundry. If it's down when I come back, expect E-mail, Schrods :tongue:

Schrody
July 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I did have some problems yesterday accessing it... No, you expect my mail :mrgreen: Happy laundry!

dither
July 19th, 2016, 06:31 PM
I had a problem with the site yesterday, got a pop-up saying not available or words to that effect, can't remember what time.

Cran
July 19th, 2016, 07:52 PM
There was a massive (near record) spike in our server usage yesterday which caused a temporary crash of the site. That's what led our tech guru Kevin_L to go looking. With the WiredTree tech, they found that our server traffic (data exchange and system queries) was running close to the safe traffic limit on most days. The reasons for that are not entirely clear but likely include our data-rich pages and more popular longer threads which are refreshed and reloaded with every click.

It seems the transfer to the faster higher traffic allowance server package has gone through without any significant hitch.

Sonata
July 19th, 2016, 08:27 PM
I might not post any of my original stuff these days [my writing brain has switched off, temporarily I hope] but I tend to panic if I cannot get WF.

Thank you Kevin_L and you Cran, for sorting everything out.

And please forgive me if I just use WF for my enjoyment without offering anything original of my own.

TKent
July 19th, 2016, 08:28 PM
I could make a great living selling XANAX after these kind of announcements. 30 minutes without WF...panic attack!

ETA: Just happy I saw the announcement and knew what was coming :)

Sonata
July 19th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I could make a great living selling XANAX after these kind of announcements. 30 minutes without WF...panic attack!

Ahem - if WF is not available for one minute I get a panic attack! It is a major part of my life now.

[But you can keep Xanax - I take enough really necessary stuff without having to rely on tranx]

Schrody
July 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Ahem - if WF is not available for one minute I get a panic attack! It is a major part of my life now.

[But you can keep Xanax - I take enough really necessary stuff without having to rely on tranx]

Then you have a problem...

Sonata
July 19th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Then you have a problem...

Yeah - it is called "give me my WF back please".

Schrody
July 19th, 2016, 09:55 PM
I don't think it's a laughing matter...

mrmustard615
July 19th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I think what Schrody is saying (correct me if I'm wrong, Schrods) is that you need more than WF for your lifeline. I went crazy when my internet went down but I knew I could take notes on my faux journal and now my next WIP. I have another computer where I can listen to my music. Of course I can still get around so I was able to hit the library to sign on here for an hour or two since the computers weren't all tied up.

And if it's just WF that's down, I can surf the web. In fact, if it had gone down today and it proved to be longer than a half hour, I have no doubt Schrody and I would have been exchanging silly pics by way of E-mail.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is don't let WF be the only outlet for your loneliness. There really is a world out there, even on the net. :smile2:

dither
July 20th, 2016, 06:40 AM
don't let WF be the only outlet for your loneliness.

It's all i've ​got.

Sonata
July 20th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I don't think it's a laughing matter...

My comments were tongue-in-cheek, that is all.

...[snip]...Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is don't let WF be the only outlet for your loneliness. There really is a world out there, even on the net. :smile2:

Just because I live alone does not mean I am lonely. There is a big difference between being alone and being lonely, and I am definitely not the latter.

I just like interacting with people through my PC and I happen to enjoy WF very much.

Schrody
July 20th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I think what Schrody is saying (correct me if I'm wrong, Schrods) is that you need more than WF for your lifeline. I went crazy when my internet went down but I knew I could take notes on my faux journal and now my next WIP. I have another computer where I can listen to my music. Of course I can still get around so I was able to hit the library to sign on here for an hour or two since the computers weren't all tied up.

And if it's just WF that's down, I can surf the web. In fact, if it had gone down today and it proved to be longer than a half hour, I have no doubt Schrody and I would have been exchanging silly pics by way of E-mail.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is don't let WF be the only outlet for your loneliness. There really is a world out there, even on the net. :smile2:

You do know me! :mrgreen: I'm talking from experience - there was a time when I spend my whole day on a particular site, and it's not healthy. You can't be productive like that.

Sonata
July 20th, 2016, 12:38 PM
You do know me! :mrgreen: I'm talking from experience - there was a time when I spend my whole day on a particular site, and it's not healthy. You can't be productive like that.

Whoever said I spend my whole day on one particular site?

I have four Firefox windows open, each with a number of tabs.
I have three Microsoft Edge windows open, each with a number of tabs.
And two Google Chrome windows open, also with a number of tabs.

I hop from one to another, and I keep on writing. Just because I am not posting anything original at the moment does not mean that I am not productive because I am.

I read newspapers online. Both British ones and local ones.

In addition I have a puppy to look after, cooking and as much cleaning as I can manage [at the moment I do not have either a carer or a cleaner].

I just happen to like WF and what I said was tongue-in-cheek - ie I was joking. British humour dontcha know?

Schrody
July 20th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Sonata, this is not an attack pointed at you. I reacted because you said you get panic attacks if the WF is accessible, and that could be a problem. You could use a smiley next time, to show you're joking ;)

dither
July 20th, 2016, 02:25 PM
I went off topic. Sorry.

Maybe we should start threads with our " off topic " comments.

Just a thought.

Not exactly pointless posts.

" Off topic topics ."
How's that sound?

escorial
July 20th, 2016, 08:47 PM
i've got a few spare batteries in my cuboard..you can have them if you need another boost..most are AAA and the smaller ones...