PDA

View Full Version : Which Book Cover Works

lvcabbie
June 27th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I've just recently learned to use the graphics function of Google Drive and came up with two ideas for a book cover or a work I am thinking of self-publishing on Amazon. Which one do you think is best?

LeeC
June 27th, 2016, 08:11 PM
The first might work as an ad on social media, but the second is more of a book cover to me.

20oz
June 27th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Second one. I agree with LeeC.

Bard_Daniel
June 27th, 2016, 09:18 PM
The second one definitely looks more fitting to me.

Good work too! I like it! : D

TataSweets44
June 27th, 2016, 10:14 PM
I agree with all. I like the second better.

afk4life
June 27th, 2016, 10:38 PM
You might want to look at a different font imho, it's a bit old-school. The second one makes more sense as it's portrait not landscape, but the photo for it is I think problematic... imagine the cactus is a hand.

MzSnowleopard
June 27th, 2016, 11:17 PM
I vote for # 2, perhaps it'd be more difficult if # 1 had the sane diameters.

Blade
June 27th, 2016, 11:57 PM
I would go with #2 as well. I find it simpler, more compact and actually a better picture.:eagerness:

PrinzeCharming
June 28th, 2016, 12:13 AM
I want to say #2, but I am not entirely sold. Don't even bother with the first cover. Change the font for the 2nd one, and then I might be confident in my choice.

lvcabbie
June 28th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Two have suggested changing the font. To what?

afk4life
June 28th, 2016, 09:10 PM
When it comes to graphic design, I tend to just use simple but clean sans serif fonts like Droid Sans, Ubuntu, Oxygen, Montserrat (that's more of a title type font imho). Those are on Google fonts, extremely legible, not distracting. I'm not big on display fonts because they suddenly tend to become the entire story no matter what the picture is (and I like #2 but the cactus looks like it's flipping us off, I was probably too subtle about that). The other problem with display fonts is historically speaking they tend to become dated rather quickly, look at the fate of Comic Sans (okay, bad example, it was always ugly, but...)

TKent
June 28th, 2016, 10:10 PM
lvcabbie, typography can be one of the most challenging parts of designing a book cover and can also really set apart a 'professionally' designed cover from one that isn't. I'd recommend trying something like Canva.com or another free cover designer to help you out on this. By way of example, you can create a free account on canva.com and then choose to create an ebook cover and they have a bunch of free cover templates. You just upload your background image and replace the background image in one of the templates and type your title and author name using the fonts and placement they have provided. In 2 minutes you can have one that has some level of 'designer' input and 9 times out of 10, it is going to look more professional.

Here is a quick example of your cover using one of the templates (and a different background since I didn't have yours). Anyway, it is just a thought in case you were not familiar with the site.