PDA

View Full Version : Starting Poetry

Ultraroel
June 20th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Dear All,

As you might know by now, I joined the forum at the end of December, cause I wanted to write and learn hwo to deal with this.
Now, I realize my writing is improving and I wanna have a go at a novel that I've had in my mind for a long long time.

However, I want some poems in there, but I honestly do not know how and where to start.

It will be poems that will offend and enrage some of the races in my fantasy world.

Anyway, I know absolutely nothing of poetry.

Any pointers where to start? What to start reading to get a good impression on how to start my own?
Any tips and tricks?

Or just trial and error story for every individual?

Thank you.

Roel.

EDIT: WRONG SECTION LOL

EmmaSohan
June 21st, 2016, 02:54 AM
This is surely not the answer you wanted, but I am putting poetry in my WIP, and my sense is that poetry in a book has to be slightly different from regular poetry. More readable? More like prose? Can you slow down the normal reader as much as what's needed to appreciate the normal poem?

bdcharles
June 22nd, 2016, 02:11 AM
How much poetry do you want? A multipage epic, or just a quatrain or two? I ask because I have a few little snippets of verse, doggerel really, and not being a particularly poetic sort, I get it via the medium of hypnagogia. Try it. That might help kick start some further ideas of your own.

aj47
June 22nd, 2016, 02:13 AM
Why do you want poems? I think the answer to that question will help guide you.

Ultraroel
June 22nd, 2016, 08:41 AM
Hmm the setting is a group of Goblin "musicians".
In order to distract their targets, they provoke groups of other races, hoping to get them to fight and steal their gold.

In this case, they are amidst 2 armies, one troll, one dwarf, who are shadowin eachother out of distrust.
They utilize this by reciting 2 poems in which they insult the dwarves and another for the trolls.
They start fighting, profits..

The only kind of poem I know is to make everything rhyme, which is okay for 1 of the 2.
I'd like the second one to be a little more advanced, also cause the reciter is the smartest of the 3.

Anyway, maybe it helps, maybe it doesnt :)

I just think it would suck to start with 1 mediocre and a another bad poem :D

Ariel
June 22nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
Then you might want something along the lines of Ogden Nash's poetry.

Ultraroel
June 22nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
Oeff, I never heard of him, but a quick research shows I will probably like his work.
Thanks!

ned
June 26th, 2016, 04:01 PM
as they are musicians, then surely a song would be more natural - lyrics are easier then poetry -
I know it all looks the same on the page, but the reader's perception might be more forgiving.....

Ultraroel
June 27th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Hehehe.. Yeah. The musicians don't know how to play though, so i'd think writing a song is out of their reach, but a fair point to make.
Maybe I should consider allowing them some mastery in their craft.