PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

sigmadog
June 1st, 2016, 03:58 AM
Anyone listen to podcasts? Since I'm so often alone in the office working, I've become a fan of several podcasts that have to do directly and indirectly with writing. Among them are:

Witch House Media: H.P. Podcraft. Each week the witty and engaging hosts talk about an old horror story in the Lovecraft tradition.
Story Grid Podcast: Tim Grohl (sp?), a guy with dreams of writing a novel talks about story structure with Shawn Coyne, author of The Story Grid.
The History of English Podcast: I love history and I love ancient languages. This podcast puts them both together in an informative and interesting mix.

Any other cool writing / history / language podcasts out there?

InstituteMan
June 1st, 2016, 03:56 PM
I intermittently listen to the Writing Excuses podcast. They helped me think about writing at a conceptual level.

sigmadog
June 1st, 2016, 08:53 PM
I was just listening to an episode of The History of English and learned an interesting fact: The English "black" and Spanish "blanco" (white) share the same Indo-European root word (which I didn't catch). Its original meaning was similar to burnt or charred, which eventually gave us "black", but the root word's meaning evolved or expanded to eventually include "burning bright" or the bright light from fire, which evolved to eventually become "blanco" or "white" in Spanish.

It is little insights like that which make the world a fascinating place.

TWErvin2
June 5th, 2016, 10:07 PM
AuthorCast (http://authorcast.blogspot.com/), hosted by David Wood and Alan Baxter might fit what you're looking for. They post new episodes on an infrequent basis, but there are plenty of back podcasts to keep you busy for a while.

The general structure of their episodes is briefly catching up on what has happened to each/what they've been working on. Then they cover various topics and aspects of writing and publishing related concerns.

shivanib
August 27th, 2016, 12:09 AM
These are great recs!! I will put on my podcast list to listen to, thanks!

TWErvin2
September 5th, 2016, 06:27 PM
You might also give Wood on Words a try. It's focused mainly on self-publishing authors, but also discussed topics of interest to most writers and authors, no matter their path to publication.

Link: Wood on Words (http://woodonwords.blogspot.com/)