PDA

View Full Version : No Marketing?

Schrody
March 15th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Okay, so a guy on my Croatian forum is saying he wants to go into the trad self publishing; he's gonna pay the printing and other stuff, and he wants it to be sold in the bookstores, etc. WTF moment came when he said he won't do any marketing. Literally none. No paying advertisement, no social networks, nothing. I said that even a word of a mouth is a some form of marketing, but I was baffled, saying you can't expect a distribution through the bookstores without any marketing, from an unknown author. How the hell's he gonna sell it?

My point is, am I wrong? Can you sell without any form of marketing (selling to family and relatives does not count), and how are your readers going to find your book in the pile of many self pub souls? Is it possible? :-k

Bishop
March 15th, 2016, 10:26 PM
I'm sure if it's on a shelf in stores, or showing up in searches on websites, then in might garner a purchase or two... but without some form of marketing campaign, he'll be unlikely to sell many copies.

Schrody
March 15th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Well, he's planning on asking the bookstores to sell them, and I don't think that's how things work...

Blade
March 15th, 2016, 10:38 PM
My point is, am I wrong? Can you sell without any form of marketing (selling to family and relatives does not count), and how are your readers going to find your book in the pile of many self pub souls? Is it possible? :-k ..........................

Well, he's planning on asking the bookstores to sell them, and I don't think that's how things work...

I don't think so either. He may have a problem even getting a bookseller to put his item on the shelves let alone make an effort to sell it for him.

The English word 'delusional' would seem appropriate here IMHO. :eagerness:

Bishop
March 15th, 2016, 10:49 PM

They'll giggle and say "show me the money".

Flint
March 15th, 2016, 11:01 PM
The English word 'delusional' would seem appropriate here IMHO. :eagerness:

Yeah, I would have to agree. Even if Croatia had no access to e-books and had a very thriving brick and mortar bookshop structure, it would still be a bad idea, IMO.

Aquilo
March 15th, 2016, 11:16 PM
*Scratches head* If he wants it sold in bookstores, isn't he going to have to... market the novel it to them to get it on the shelves? They don't just appear. :) As a self-pub, you'd have to set up a relationship with a local bookstore and consider the likes of retailer discount, not to mention cost of getting the bulk order to and from the store etc.

There's no escaping how that's marketing.

There's some element of promo and marketing in everything we do, like you rightly stated about word of mouth. Also in sending out Advance Review Copies.

When I was first published three years ago (via my publisher), I had no Facebook, twitter accounts etc. I had no website either, and I hadn't even set up an author email. Despite that, I still had to send out review requests. It was the barest minimum I did. I didn't do any interviews (I was new so nobody would be interested anyway), no giveaways etc.

I knew pretty much nothing would work for me other than getting people to read and talk about it. In two weeks the novel had sold a humble 75 copies. Then something shifted, and I didn't find out until I joined Facebook that the novel had been recommended to reviewing company. Sales took off from there, and over three and half years later, sales are still very comfortable.

It wasn't until the end of last year that I paid for any kind of promo, and that was to commission a photo shoot for full rights images I needed. But legwork has gone up, not decreased. Most don't start earning decent royalties until their 5th novel, so you ideally need a good pace with interviews, chats, book signings etc.

Good luck to him if he thinks he doesn't need that. But to be honest, I'd like him to come back in a year's time and let us know things are going for him.

Schrody
March 16th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I would have to agree. Even if Croatia had no access to e-books and had a very thriving brick and mortar bookshop structure, it would still be a bad idea, IMO.

Ha ha, we're not so backwards, but I get your point ;)

*Scratches head* If he wants it sold in bookstores, isn't he going to have to... market the novel it to them to get it on the shelves? They don't just appear. :) As a self-pub, you'd have to set up a relationship with a local bookstore and consider the likes of retailer discount, not to mention cost of getting the bulk order to and from the store etc.

There's no escaping how that's marketing.

There's some element of promo and marketing in everything we do, like you rightly stated about word of mouth. Also in sending out Advance Review Copies.

When I was first published three years ago (via my publisher), I had no Facebook, twitter accounts etc. I had no website either, and I hadn't even set up an author email. Despite that, I still had to send out review requests. It was the barest minimum I did. I didn't do any interviews (I was new so nobody would be interested anyway), no giveaways etc.

I knew pretty much nothing would work for me other than getting people to read and talk about it. In two weeks the novel had sold a humble 75 copies. Then something shifted, and I didn't find out until I joined Facebook that the novel had been recommended to reviewing company. Sales took off from there, and over three and half years later, sales are still very comfortable.

It wasn't until the end of last year that I paid for any kind of promo, and that was to commission a photo shoot for full rights images I needed. But legwork has gone up, not decreased. Most don't start earning decent royalties until their 5th novel, so you ideally need a good pace with interviews, chats, book signings etc.

Good luck to him if he thinks he doesn't need that. But to be honest, I'd like him to come back in a year's time and let us know things are going for him.

I think one of his problems, besides no marketing problem, is that he's writing on Croatian - so only a small portion of readers can comprehend it. Our market is very small and limited, and I think almost every book is printed in no more than 500 copies (and I think that's for a real known authors), and the royalties... you'll probably only get an advance and that is it.

Sleepwriter
March 16th, 2016, 03:09 PM
So wait a minute. Are you telling me that I shouldn't have left a crate of my latest book about Teenage Sparkling Vampire Unicorns on the doorstep of my local bookstore with a note to pay me once they sell?

Schrody
March 16th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Okay, now another guy, from the beta readers thread is saying that you basically can't trust betas (because no one has better things to do than publishing other people's work), and that I should google poor man's copyright, and I had to educate him it doesn't work. It's always fun there :mrgreen:

LeeC
March 16th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I hope you're talking about a circus elsewhere, because otherwise I'd be on the individual like white on rice :-)

Aquilo
March 16th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Okay, now another guy, from the beta readers thread is saying that you basically can't trust betas (because no one has better things to do than publishing other people's work), and that I should google poor man's copyright, and I had to educate him it doesn't work. It's always fun there :mrgreen:

Oh boy... lol.

Schrody
March 16th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I hope you're talking about a circus elsewhere, because otherwise I'd be on the individual like white on rice :-)

Ha, I wish...