PDA

View Full Version : Posting Challenge Entries for Critique

aj47
February 28th, 2016, 12:04 AM
I want to see what people think. When a challenge is over, would people be interested in offering critique on pieces entered in the challenge? Would the challenge entrants be interested in receiving critique on their entries?

As a poet, I like the idea of offering critique on some of the entries -- both some I voted for and some I chose not to. I believe that people tend to put their best foot forward for challenges, which they may not do for other work they post here. I think that working on improving our best work is as valuable as revising and editing our rougher pieces.

I'm interested in others' perspectives on this.

Cran
February 28th, 2016, 12:13 AM
People have always been free to post their challenges entries for critique after the challenge has closed, but that tends to be spotty or sporadic.

Without the full scoring panel system, I had hoped that a loose collective of our more experienced and interested poets would make use of the polling thread to offer at least some of what is missing in terms of individual feedback for the entries. So, I'm in favour of anything that can seize the opportunity while all the cats are herded in the same room.

aj47
February 28th, 2016, 12:25 AM
My issue is I don't want to offer unwanted critique. A critique is an investment and my time is kind of precious to me. Especially this semester. OTOH, I see pieces where I want to make suggestions for improvement.

Cran
February 28th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Yes, which is why if anything like this should happen it should involve a larger loose collective. If it falls to one or two people all the time, then ...

I'd be disappointed if people are entering poetry challenges and not wanting feedback on their works. But, I guess there might be people who just use the forum like a social media platform, just to share what they do.

aj47
February 28th, 2016, 12:52 AM
I honestly don't know. I know sometimes when I critique a piece on the forum I get one of the following responses:

it's just something I threw together--I'm not serious about it
I'm not really a poet
I wrote what I intended--I'm not interested in revising/changing/editing/etc

PrinzeCharming
February 28th, 2016, 03:29 AM
I honestly don't know. I know sometimes when I critique a piece on the forum I get one of the following responses:

I'm not really a poet

I'm finally home from a long day at work (since 1 PM EST). I am pleased to jump into this discussion. In general, I am selective with my critiquing. I look around for different qualities among our members. I value people who have received critiques from others and responded promptly in respect to the constructive criticism. As I completely understand and agree with you, I spend a lot of time critiquing. If I am going to make a homemade soup, I am not going to cut corners. I give it all. So, when I critique, I want someone who isn't going to respond as you've previously mentioned. I want someone who is serious about their work, has confidence in what they write, and has a willingness to learn. I want someone with all the ingredients for the soup. I want to add what I believe will make that soup even better.

Cran
February 28th, 2016, 12:01 PM

I'm not really a poet

I admit it. I am guilty of the last response in that I wrote what I intended to write, and certainly for the ones that won awards or have been published outside of the forum I wouldn't be rushing to make changes. Still, it's good to get what doesn't work from readers with an eye for that sort of thing.

So, I think it has to come back to: critique only because you want to and for no other reason, because no other reason matters.

Because it doesn't matter if the writer pays attention; it matters that someone else will, and whether it's admitted to or not, feedback always matters to someone.

Phil Istine
February 28th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Critiquing poetry from challenges sounds a great idea - after the challenge is over.
The only real problem I have with the idea is that I reckon I would be more of a taker than a giver as I lack a lot of the technical knowledge required. I would prefer to be able to give and take in more equal measure. Still, I suppose that's how we all learn.
EDIT: I do learn from critiquing even when the poem isn't mine.

Gumby
February 28th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Because it doesn't matter if the writer pays attention; it matters that someone else will, and whether it's admitted to or not, feedback always matters to someone.

Very true, and not always easy to remember. I've learned so much from reading critiques of other peoples work, here. Still, I do understand what annie is saying, you give a critique so much effort and sincerely want to help that person improve the poem and they seem to be blowing you off. It's disheartening, for sure. If we could keep in mind that someone else reading that critique will benefit and learn from it, it might not feel so wasted.

PiP
February 28th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I think if someone wants serious critique on thier poem they could always post to the poetry workshop.

eta... I personally don't have time to offer critique on all th poems

Darkkin
February 29th, 2016, 03:36 AM
I've kicked a couple challenge pieces over to the critique boards after a challenge, just to see what worked with the piece and what didn't. And honestly, I think it should remain up to the poets to post the poems to the appropriate boards if they want critique or to alternate areas if they are looking for sunshine and rainbows. Personally, I prefer critique, both giving and taking. The boost it lends to one's critical thinking skills is well worth the effort of offering insight.

If a poet is serious about wanting feedback, they should follow through, and lets face it, not everyone who posted an entry in the challenge is going to want or appreciate an honest critique. In point of fact, there are some who discourage the practice of actual critique on the boards. It gets a bit frustrating. And as various standard replies to critiques have already been stated above...Well, enough said.

An alternative might be to PM the authors of the pieces you think could benefit from critique and offer. Saves time and negates frustration.

Just some thoughts...

- D. the T.

aj47
February 29th, 2016, 04:00 AM
My question to you, then, Darkkin, as a fellow poet. If I PMed you and said something like, "Would you consider posting <title> in the workshop? I'd like to give you some feedback," would you be okay with getting that PM? That's what I want the answer to and why I started the thread.

Darkkin
February 29th, 2016, 04:31 AM
If someone took the time to ask, yes. Because critique, even if one doesn't agree with what was said, still provides insight and alternate perspectives on what worked and what didn't. It's all part and parcel of the creative process. As with most things, it is subjective, and it is safe to assume individual responses will vary.

On a side note: You're objective and thorough when it comes to critique. That garners respect.