PDA

View Full Version : Grand Challenge interview antics with Bishop and Kilroy214

Allysan
February 9th, 2016, 01:31 AM
The Grand Challenge is in full swing this week, and the competition is already fierce! The media team has forcefully dragged the hosts of this year's Grand Challenge away from their duties to ask them a few questions about their roles and opinions of this years competition. Brace yourselves, this could get bloody!

Kilroy and Bishop, thank you for taking the time to chat with us!

Bishop: It's my pleasure. I mean, thank you for conducting this interview digitally so I can avoid wearing pants.

What entices you to host competitions such as this one?

Bishop: Mostly the fame, glory, cookies, and women. It's my understanding we're hosting in Vegas this year, at Ceasar's, which is FANTASTIC, I'm really excited to have a free state room with compensation for meals...
Wait, what?
It's online..?
Ugh. Fine. I'll go to Ceasar's on my own.
But seriously, I like being a host because I get to be a part of the forum's continuing greatness, and contributing to it always gives me a sense that I'm giving something back to this little corner of the internet I love so much. I'm happy to help, and love these contests, since they've always been a big part of my enjoyment here at the forum.
Also, this way, no one can judge my entry, so I can wear my paper crown and shout "I'm the best!" up and down my living room.

Kilroy: I have been a member here for a few years now and have received some of the best feedback and help in my writing than I ever had in any English course I had ever taken. I feel like taking on the role as host is my way of giving back to a community that has helped me out so much. As host of the current Fiction Literary Maneuvers, I just thought it would be natural that I should host the Grand Fiction Challenge.

How are you gearing up for this years Grand Challenge? Any special weapons or devices the contestants should be on the lookout for?

Bishop: Be wary of some of the senior members entering, they're pretty cut-throat. Last year, Terry D won by producing double edged razor blades from his left lymph nodes under his arm. Was brutal.
In reality, though, write the best piece you can, and write what you want/love. Don't try to cater to the judges or write "to win". Just write, best you can in the prompt, and show it off proudly. Anyone who does anything well does it for himself/herself. Do it to become a better writer, and if you win, you win! If not, you get valuable feedback. And come back next month, and next year, etc etc.

Kilroy: Well, this year is slightly different than the last, as we have a prompt this year. And like last year, we have a superb panel of judges who are going to want to read something with a little extra 'mmmph' to it, since there are an extra 350 words for our contestants to play around with.
I think anyone entering should think of an imaginative take on this prompt and use the extra word allotment to their advantage and really weave a tale the judges, and readers, can immerse themselves in.

What genre do you expect to see the most of in this competition? What genre would you prefer to see?

Bishop: Judging by the prompt, I expect some horror/supernatural. Thriller stuff, you know? I'd prefer to see more sci-fi, but that's like asking a drug addict what he wants to see in his home. It's more drugs. Sci-fi is my life. So... write more sci-fi, people!

Kilroy: When I first saw the prompt, I immediately thought 'Zombies!', as I'm sure most others did. Something I'm happy to see is a lot of our members are willing to try to go in a different direction than the first thing that pops into their head.
That being said, I would be willing to bet that we see a lot of the Horror genre pop up, but I would not be surprised to see some really outlandish takes on the prompt as well.
As for a genre I would like to see...eh, with a prompt so menacing as Dead by Dawn, I would like to see a true Vaudevillian slap-stick approach, just something that completely turns the prompt on its head, especially if the entrant can make it something that truly stands out.

The theme this year is "Dead by Dawn". If you were entering the challenge, what would you write about?

Bishop: I plan to have a host entry incoming before too long. I'll probably be writing about something really cool, in space, with aliens, and lots of laughs/love/violence... something like that. Something that makes you roll your eyes and go "That's my Bishop!" and then you're forced to admit my greatness, and that's when the tears of joy come.
So... you know, standard fare.

Kilroy: In keeping with my above answer, I would probably write about a young man or woman who is trying to raid a dungeon with her fellow World of Warcraft friends in the wee hours of the night, and must maintain a substantial healing rate all the while looking for an available outlet to plug her dying laptop in before it, or her party, dies as the sun creeps over the horizon.
I don't know...maybe.

Did this interview sate your Grand Challenge appetite? Don't fear! We have plenty more shenanigans planned for after submissions close, including an interview with our sponsors here at WF as well as Tricia Reeks from Meerkat Press! Stay tuned!

PrinzeCharming
February 9th, 2016, 01:47 AM
Bishop: Mostly the fame, glory, cookies, and women. It's my understanding we're hosting in Vegas this year, at Ceasar's, which is FANTASTIC, I'm really excited to have a free state room with compensation for meals...

Bishop, you have quite a way with words! You make Hugh Hefner look like a virgin!

Great interviews! I love this!

kilroy214
February 9th, 2016, 03:19 AM
Awesome job, Bishop!

J Anfinson
February 9th, 2016, 04:24 AM
SPAG: 5
Tone: 5
Effectiveness: 9
Total: 19

Comments:

Bishop: It's my pleasure. I mean, thank you for conducting this interview digitally so I can avoid wearing pants.

You guys had me laughing from the start. Good job

Bishop
February 9th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Fun fact:

I really wasn't wearing pants.

Thanks to Ally and to my co-host Kilroy (for doing all the work!)

kilroy214
February 9th, 2016, 06:03 AM
That's cool, I'm not wearing any right now.

Cran
February 9th, 2016, 07:20 AM
So, more shorts on the page, and fewer on the chairs, huh?

Thanks for the laughs, guys. Now that you've reminded me that I have some work to do, I'd better get to it.

Schrody
February 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Kilroy! This is a family forum! http://www.forum.hr/images/smilies/tuctuc.gif

Space zombies it is!

Aquilo
February 9th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I want Schrody's smiley!!

*Hands Bishop & kilroy some pants* Can't take you two anywhere... :)

Great interview Ally!!!!

Harper J. Cole
February 9th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Fun fact:

I really wasn't wearing pants.

Thanks to Ally and to my co-host Kilroy (for doing all the work!)

Glad I'm not the only one who finds dresses more comfortable. 8)

midnightpoet
February 9th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Different strokes for different folks.:icon_cheesygrin:

Schrody
February 9th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I want Schrody's smiley!!

*Hands Bishop & kilroy some pants* Can't take you two anywhere... :)

Great interview Ally!!!!

Right click on it, copy image location, paste in the address bar, then c/p in the Word document so you'll always have it :)

mrmustard615
February 9th, 2016, 01:26 PM
We also have a smiley thread in the pro central (It's Schrody's fault :icon_cheesygrin: ). You can choose from any of the smileys there. We have a ton of them. Most of them are condensed in the first few posts. :D

Schrody
February 9th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Sure, everything is always my fault http://www.forum.hr/images/smilies/durica.gif

rcallaci
February 9th, 2016, 01:52 PM
A fun read- a comedy team in the making:)

Gumby
February 9th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Great interview! :) Two writers who are definitely not 'pantsters', then.

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/sample_badring.gif

am_hammy
February 9th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Ah this was fantastic. Made me laugh out loud. Awesome interview Ally and thank you gentlemen, for entertaining and informing us =)

InkwellMachine
February 10th, 2016, 03:08 AM
@Kilroy~ If you can find the time, you should totally write that up. Sounds like a really good time, yo.

@Bishop~ Oh my~ For a man of God, you sure do have a lot under your belt. If uh... you know what I'm sayin'.

*raises my eyebrows at the Plisskin avatar on my computer screen, as if anyone can see or respond to it*