PDA

View Full Version : Bring Out Your Dead!

Aquilo
January 16th, 2016, 12:44 AM

Critters are shifting in the corners, whispering about turning the month of love into one deadly challenge. It's the Writing Forums 2016 Annual Grand Fiction Challenge, with loads of cash prizes to giveaway, goodies galore, and a chance at publication.

Two weeks... 1,000 words... with WF's finest dark souls!

Are you ready to play with Death?

Full details -- HERE (http://www.writingforums.com/threads/39688-LM-Coffee-Shop/page493?p=1953779#post1953779) --

Hosted by the stunning kilroy214 & Bishop!

TKent
January 16th, 2016, 01:10 AM
This is so exciting!!!

Firemajic
January 16th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Squeeeeeek!!!! Twisted, dark and challenging... 3 of my favorite things....

Allysan
January 16th, 2016, 03:08 AM
wow, Aquilo. That looks bad ass! Nicely done

PrinzeCharming
January 16th, 2016, 03:32 AM
This is really exciting! Play with death? You haven't seen my closet yet! :deadhorse::devilish:

Hairball
January 16th, 2016, 05:55 AM
This is really exciting! Play with death? You haven't seen my closet yet! :deadhorse::devilish:

Oh God, get him outta here....please....LOL!

No...we don't want to know about young men's closets! They smell funny and usually when they're cleaned out, it involves the EPA or Halliburton.

PrinzeCharming
January 16th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Oh God, get him outta here....please....LOL!

No...we don't want to know about young men's closets! They smell funny and usually when they're cleaned out, it involves the EPA or Halliburton.

FYI, there are no skeletons in my closet. Why would you waste a perfectly good piece of meat? :tiger::cookie:

I am not sure about this writing competition. I have a dominant side for passion. You throw death in there, and someone's going to die happy. ;):-$

Hairball
January 16th, 2016, 06:08 AM
FYI, there are no skeletons in my closet. Why would you waste a perfectly good piece of meat? :tiger::cookie:

I am not sure about this writing competition. I have a dominant side for passion. You throw death in there, and someone's going to die happy. ;):-$

We're not worried about the skeletons. We're worried about the toxic waste.

PrinzeCharming
January 16th, 2016, 06:10 AM
We're not worried about the skeletons. We're worried about the toxic waste.

Toxic? Waste? Leave my science experiments alone! I am going to cure someone with something somewhere soon.

Hairball
January 16th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Toxic? Waste? Leave my science experiments alone! I am going to cure someone with something somewhere soon.

Or kill them first. That's already been done, honey, they're called zombies.

Geez.

Aquilo
January 16th, 2016, 10:20 AM
So excited for all of this. I love the darker reads! Can't wait to see what subs come through!!!

Hairball
January 16th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I know I've been such a coward here at times but by God I'll step out of my comfort zone and enjoy this!

I look forward to this!

Best of luck and great writing! Go get em!!

Aquilo
January 16th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Glad to hear it, Hairball!!!

Schrody
January 16th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Yes! I like to write dark stuff! http://www.forum.hr/images/smilies/luxhello.gif

aj47
January 16th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Cure what? Bacon? Ham?

PrinzeCharming
January 16th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Cure what? Bacon? Ham?

I am going to make breakfast. Feel free to watch me enjoy myself without invitation.

Hairball
January 17th, 2016, 05:58 AM
I am going to make breakfast. Feel free to watch me enjoy myself without invitation.

Watch it, son. Don't make me go all warpig on you.

I love the new sig!

Was that on purpose to coincide with the bring out your dead thing?

PrinzeCharming
January 17th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Watch it, son. Don't make me go all warpig on you.

I love the new sig!

Was that on purpose to coincide with the bring out your dead thing?

No, it's just free advertisement space. :^o

Hairball
January 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
That's awesome, and thank you!!!

joshybo
January 17th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Darkest prompt yet, you say? Ah, well, it's outside of my comfort zone, but I suppose I'll give it a shot.

Aquilo
January 18th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Prompt Reveal:
- HERE (http://www.writingforums.com/threads/39688-LM-Coffee-Shop/page493?p=1953779#post1953779) -

am_hammy
January 18th, 2016, 06:04 PM
It will be super exciting to see how this all pans out! The anticipation is killing me!

bazz cargo
January 19th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Is there any way I can post this on farcebook so everyone can read it?

Allysan
January 20th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Is there any way I can post this on farcebook so everyone can read it? If you want to visit the WritingForums.com fb page we just shared the banner tonight. You can share it from there, otherwise you can copy and paste the link to this thread into your status.

Aquilo
January 20th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I've given it a share too. :) Here's a direct link to the page: Writing Forums (https://www.facebook.com/TheWritingForums/).

Terry D
January 31st, 2016, 10:25 PM
Shared with both my FB friends.

TKent
January 31st, 2016, 10:35 PM
Awww....Terry. I'm tearing up...

Shared with both my FB friends.

joshybo
January 31st, 2016, 10:50 PM
Alright. I have shared it on both my personal and my writing FB pages. Now, if I could only figure out what I actually want to write about, I'd be batting a thousand. Such is life.

TKent
February 29th, 2016, 10:19 PM
For the lucky winners who will have to decide between these 2 books, here are some industry reviews for each:

MY CRUEL INVENTION: A Contemporary Poetry Anthology, edited by Bernadette Geyer

An outstanding collection of poetry about inventions and inventors, real and imagined. "The poems in this anthology converse not only with each other, but also with their readers and the world at large, in service to the continued human drive to create solutions-even to problems we didn't know we had." - Bernadette Geyer, Editor

Reviews:

"Best Anthology . . . This is a wonderful array of imaginers telling their wild secrets and what they believe possible." - Grace Cavalieri, Washington Independent Review of Books, December Exemplars

"It's true, the mother of invention might scoff at this delightful collection as being wholly unnecessary, but the rest of us will only marvel at the sixty-two poems focused on inventors and inventions." - Foreword Reviews

LOVE HURTS: A Speculative Fiction Anthology, edited by Tricia Reeks

Love Hurts contains twenty-six brilliant speculative fiction stories about love, and the pain that so often accompanies it. Sometimes funny, occasionally happy, frequently gut-wrenching-these stories will take your heart on a wild emotional ride. Stories by Jeff VanderMeer, Karin Tidbeck, Hugh Howey, WF members, Kyle R. Richardson and Terry Durbin, and others.

Reviews:

"'I've always had a taste for dark,' says Reeks in her introduction, and she goes on to prove it with a top-shelf selection of tales, 20 of which are original to this book. . . A well-organized, wide-ranging collection of consistently strong genre stories." -- Kirkus Reviews

"For fans of weird and beautifully written genre fiction, LOVE HURTS is a work that delivers 26 distinct emotional roller coaster rides, each as different from one another as they are from any other story you've probably ever read. As full of creativity as it is of heartbreak, it's a book that truly is full of surprises." -- IndieReader (4.5 Stars)

Cran
February 29th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Great comments from the reviewers, TK.