PDA

View Full Version : my poetic ramblings

escorial
December 20th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Poetry is all about emotions for me and without that itís just a set of words trying to convey a feeling. There are many forms of poetry and often one feels there is an elitist quarter who define poetry in the category it has been labelled. There is nothing wrong with that but itís not the aim of my words to defend the high brow nature poetry can be held in, which exists in many other forms of artistic endeavour. For me the word in all things is evolve,poetry,music,painting...they all begin with what has been experienced before and oneís own interpretation of the reaction you feel about any form of art you would like to follow is the thing that attracts me to poetry. Emotional poetry for me is about putting words down thatís main aim is to release an energy that might otherwise manifest itself in other negative ways, you could even call it poetic therapy tinged with emotional content but here i am labelling for me what should probably be just for my eyes only and leaving it at that. To write a piece and put it out there is to open up your work to many different points of view on the merit of it and the category others will possibly suggest it belongs in. I myself feel more comfortable with the free verse notion of poetry and like the open and lucid nature of some work iíve read that is classed this way.

All poetry is written with some emotional input from the poet and the degree of personal attachment to the words about feelings,topics can often be enhanced and appreciated if the poem is about an experience that has never been felt by the poet . What you have there is probably a poet who can interpret the empathetic use of words to convey a point of view with a lesser degree of emotional experience. After all no subject has been left out by poets over time and the works i read are always based on the notion that the poet over time experienced the overall theme of the piece but one is aware that this is not the case and yet one can fully appreciate the ability to make a set of words convey an experience by pure empathetic response to watching,looking at other human experiences of all things poetic.For me poetry is not about the journey of conveying my words to others but to enjoy the experience of sharing a bit of me with others who will be far more distant from the piece and take from it their own personal opinion on what they have read.Does the title emotional/theraputic poetry exist in one form or other and does it have itís place in the world of poetry if it hasnít. I say yes and go back to the word evolve to find a place for such a category to be added to the others forms of poetry. I believe this type of poetry is not out to change things but to change the poet and for me poetry has changed my life to the extent iím comfortable to share it.

ned
December 22nd, 2015, 10:26 PM
hello Escorial -

interesting, are you saying that writing is primarily an outlet for your emotion. (hard to gauge minimalists)
which is fine - we writers are blessed that we can express ourselves, or at least try, and happily engage in the process.

for me - it comes down to ideas that occur, tragic or humourous, emotional or not, that I endeavour to relate to other consciences.
it's because I get a kick out of connecting in some way, that I wish to hone my craft to connect even better.

is this a dichotomy? - writing for the sake of the writer - or writing for the sake of the reader -
but they might happily coincide, of course.

escorial
December 24th, 2015, 06:11 PM
yes Ned it is about me writing what I find hard to express emotionally.... You feel the need to connect or to be read...which is cool and I think if were on a forum we all must feel that way to...have you written a piece you would never share to anyone..?

ned
January 9th, 2016, 12:39 PM
interesting question -

Plenty! - but only because the writing is so bad - not because of any personal matter

of course, any poet worth the name puts a certain amount of their own emotions into their poetry
that's part of the craft - to put it across so it chimes with the reader, not despite the reader.
- whatever the motivations of the writer.

easier said than done - that's why good poetry is hard, I guess.

Ned

escorial
January 9th, 2016, 03:14 PM
the best critic is oneself but i reckon to get another pov can often enhance or even change our own opinion on what you consider a poor effort.....would you consider putting one of your bad poems up to see if you might change your mind from any other pov's on it....?

Bloggsworth
January 9th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I cannot pin to my mythical cork-board any single reason as to why I write poetry, it is often more a case of the mumbled randomlings of a post-modernist poet. Quite often it is the case of a whole phrase which, uncalled for, pops into the front of the brain, a phrase or group of words which invite me to develop them. One such was "Feint ruled by age and alcohol" when I was talking to an inebriated Scotsman who was trying to sell me fire extinguishers. Memories both romantic and familial can trigger an outrush of confused verbiage, which I may, or may not, bring to order at a later time. On occasion a failed poem has triggered a different and better one. I do worry about the form, by which I don't mean verse form, I mean the right word in the right place, for instance "Soft Falling Snow" has more musicality than "Snow softly falling." I say musicality in the sense of ear-sound, I have often thought that the title of that best selling book "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus" would have flowed better widdershins, i.e., "Women Are From Venus, Men Are From Mars."

escorial
January 9th, 2016, 05:40 PM
interesting point about the different use of similar words to describe something...i think the dialect/accent we speak in has a massive bearing on how we see words together...sometimes as you say the right word in the right place is very personal to each of us and often correct use is a matter of opinion...

bree1433
January 18th, 2016, 06:01 PM
That's an interesting idea. I know for me when I'm writing poetry it depends on what I am going for. I often let my poetry be an outlet for my emotions. Sometimes I'm even surpised by what I write down. Those generally don't see the light of day. For the others though if I believe it may make an impact on someone I will share it.

I like putting the emotion into my poems because they mean more to me. Hopefully it will also strike a cord with someone else. When I write my nature poetry I like to show others the beautiful place I live, and how much it means to me.

I agree with your thought that the poet will always put some kind of emotion in their poems. Just a matter of how much.

escorial
January 24th, 2016, 11:16 AM
the act of writing a poem about a subject matter that concerns you or affects you is one of the things that makes me wonder about the poet and what makes them tick..sure many great poems have been written from a distance and given a brilliant account of the topic in hand but the poet who i think writes from experience will often bring to a piece alot of inner turmoil and joy that echoes through out for me. I often read headstones in the graveyard and find that the more recent ones don't rely on the tried and trusted formula but now seem to have that phrase,words that meant something to the person buried beneath...seems some people have words and meanings that helped them through life..words that they connected with and felt that they showed the person they were in life. A song, a phrase a poem a saying is often used in a religious ceremony that gives meaning to a persons life that is so powerful that it often makes me think about the person if i come across that song,saying once again.It kind of seems to sum up one life in a sentence or a song but the emotion and power that words can express is basically a thing which took all there life to realize no matter how long or how short a time they lived. People are often more poetic than they realize and it's often over hearing a conversation that i pick up on just who poetic so many people are..so many i write down and so many i forget but it's out there and so many will never be published or heard and maybe that's the real beauty of poetry..the ability to express ourselves without knowing how profound the individual can be.

RHPeat
February 3rd, 2016, 03:21 AM
escorial (http://www.writingforums.com/members/52622-escorial)

What do you feel about the denotation and connotation of words in poetry and which do you think is more important when writing a poem? Is poetry more about telling your emotions to another within the poem or is it more of a suggestion to drive the human experience toward an evoked emotion within the poem? How would describe the showing and telling that everyone always talks about in poetry? Is that just so much BS? Why is either concept any better than the other? What do you feel is the difference between the two concepts?

When it comes to language in general I always see it a form of communication before anything else. It is just basic, or else why participate in it? Poetry for me is just heightened communication that has artistic form. That it is intentional composition, just like music, sculpture or painting; it is the deliberate arrangement and organization of form by the writer to obtain an evoked responses from another human. That poetry is empathic; that it offers the writer's ability to understand and share feelings with another.

a poet friend
RH Peat

escorial
February 12th, 2016, 03:09 PM
RHP...the intellectual properties of poetry are the furthest thing from my enjoyment of poetry..i see poetry in a street sign or a off the cuff remark by a stranger...poetry has the ability for me to mean different things depending on my emotional state and that is were i am with poetry. One can read a famous poem and appreciate the overall implications of it's structure,grammar and style but for me the words have to just appeal to me on that day or maybe another if i didn't like it first time around..to read a poem without noticing many things is my first initial response then maybe i will look and appreciate the abilities of the poet to get it all working with grammar..ect...like a tune that has many working parts i only hear the end product and think little of the building blocks of a tune and poetry is just like that for me..i gues one can take a simplistic point of view of many things but maybe for me that is the real reason for enjoying poetry the way i do...simplistic interpretations of complex issues with no need to get the intellectual properties within because i can live without them..cheers dude

escorial
February 21st, 2016, 12:28 AM
poetry that conveys goodbye...for things ended seem to be where i’m at. I don’t use poetry as a tool to portray my next new thing or for something i long for.. poetry is about what has gone and what is left and often the theme can be hidden and not until i’ve read a piece later that this can dawn on me. I read poems of love,passion and desire and boy do i get that inner need to feel that at times but it was not love or passion that brought me to poetry. Some poets can diverse into the two topics and often bring with them actual thought provoking poems about the life they have lead and the experiences they have gone through. Yet there are so many one trick ponies who cannot put into words anything other than sadness and a longing for a long lost love or a relationship that has ended a while since.The gut wrenching poetry out there of a child’s death or the traumatic episodes of life itself which although we lose sight of it when we go through it but it’s a fact of life sorrow..death and end..some can begin again and write wonderful poetry of what has gone before and what has replaced it but i seem to be attracted to the sorrow of people who tried,some harder than others to live a life after.....maybe stuck in limbo of that time when one was happy or now appreciate more those moments not cherished then but now. Often i try to hide in poetry but i can’t...you know that feeling of saying something without conviction because if you could you would, instead it seeps into your words and inside you long to scream out every day to the world this just ain’t right or how it’s meant to be. Poetry,poetry if i can say with 100% conviction is like a friend who helps me through tough times but never good times. I wonder as i read other people’s poems what brought you to poetry and how much of you is longing to wish you never had to write these words that are as much apart of you as the clothes you wear when you dress for all occasions. You are the words you write and as hard as you try the words cannot manifest themselves into something your not..how true i feel the saying.. the pen is mightier than the sword...and life goes on folks.....often wanting to return and never arrive.

escorial
February 27th, 2016, 06:40 PM
i sat down in the park yesterday after visiting a grave and thought about writing another poem but the inner voice said what's the point..infront of me is a norman church or was and is now a victorian church surrounded by some old graves with inscriptions probabley read countless times over the years..families long gone and forgotten for most of them,war graves and big marble slabs for the wealthy...below runs a dirty old river and in the park people walking their dogs or getting from a to b..so why write another poem about another day,another topic when all said and done it's just a few words written down and posted later on the net. Maybe i just don't get the fact that there has to be a point or a reason...i look for it in everything but often spend more time on that then doing..so the feeling of there does not have to be a point to writting poetry but just do it because your searching for a reason why you write poetry...looking back the reasons why i began to write poetry is clear but for some reason the thought of writting poetry for the rest of my life seems a very strange notion..the point of poetry may change with the years i have left and the reasons too but ultimitely maybe there is no need to find the meaning of everything we do sometimes it's ok to write pointless poetry for oneself......

LeeC
February 27th, 2016, 07:23 PM
^ Poetry, prose, it's what comes through to the reader. Much of what you said es, hits a chord with me that may well have been diminished if conveyed in a poetic style ;-)

escorial
February 27th, 2016, 07:34 PM
^ Poetry, prose, it's what comes through to the reader. Much of what you said es, hits a chord with me that may well have been diminished if conveyed in a poetic style ;-)

could you describe a pointless creative moment man...maybe you don't have them..?

LeeC
February 28th, 2016, 12:30 AM
could you describe a pointless creative moment man...maybe you don't have them..?
Sorry, had to lie down awhile.

Ummm, maybe my whole point in writing is pointless :-) I'm always struggling with how to meaningly communicate with the materialistic inculcated culture, and many times know that silence is the best option ;-) Different cultural values and all that, I think you understand.

escorial
February 28th, 2016, 12:49 AM
pointless sounds so negative and maybe it isn't always so.....yeah man...

escorial
March 19th, 2016, 06:13 PM
lately my reading of poetry as far exceeded writing the stuff and sometimes i get concerned that if you read to much you may start to write like your favourite poet,so i listen to other poets outside of my comfort zone but always it seems revert back to those i like the most..how much doe's your fav poets influence your work is a question i think one should always be aware of and at times take a look at what's written down and check for to many similarities...one often gets worried when i read a poem and that piece sets me of to write something similar with my own twist. I guess it's common to be influenced and nick the odd bit here and there but what i really want is my own words and my own ideas.The best way to approach this is probably to read less and this is one of the deadly sins when it comes to writing anything.....

escorial
May 1st, 2016, 08:45 AM
i feel that reading poetry on this site for a few years now that i have read how poets have revealed more about themselves than maybe they realise. There is the direct poems,my life is going down the pan,something died inside of me stuff but along the way i have read into many works a certain kind of unravelling.It's all subjective on my part but what i get from poetry is so many hidden and unrelated meanings that i find the whole thing a very moving and at sometimes disturbing experience.The power in poetry goes way beyond any other form of art for me,lyrics,novels,paintings all have that element of self absorption but poetry seems to bring out the inner most thoughts and feelings that the emotion often comes straight at me and i think how cool you had the confidence and often the courage to write such a thing. Brave and courageous are words that we can all relate to and often people face these experiences alone and it could be years later when they write a piece that the feelings just roll out into the words and produce a poem of outstanding emotional content.I see very little distinction between famous poets and poets on this site,the level of poetry is more than just my piece about something i would like to express to any lesser degree from the most famous of poems.I read a poem yesterday and i thought how far have you got and where will it end..it was a great feeling to think i could react to another poets words and appreciate that in my eyes the words have such an edge that the meaning was uplifting and the poets ability was boundless.This experience is profound for me because i have read more poetry by people on here than by my favourite famous poets and i believe the bigger influence on me is the poets on here who i have read and watched them achieve a level of poetry far beyond the norm.

EllaLouis
May 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM
escoral,
Glad it was acute kebab, BTW :-)
You brilliantly describe two fascinating truths about writing poetry:
first, exchanging poems and comments online almost every day with other members of a more or less peer group, where you also chat a bit in a friendly way:
It totally blew me away how much better, more deeply you know each other when you meet in the real world after a year than people you work with every day.

Second, reading versus writing poetry: the right balance, the risk of unconscious borrowing.
I hadn't read any current poetry, just classics and famous modern poets, when I stumbled on a poetry board and wrote my first poem. Reading several years of Best American Poetry really opened my senses and my sense of what a poem could be. I think most amateur poets like me write too much, read too little. In your case, I wish you would write more!

Ella

escorial
May 1st, 2016, 11:19 AM
EllaLouis..your reply is everything and more i like to read regarding poets on this site...amateur poets is a distinction that is based on being published or qualified as such maybe but i guess here we have a mix of both and i myself find the line blurred and often only recognise the fact that sometimes both camps write fantastic poetry and on other occasions not so good..what we have here is real time poetry were there is a history through correspondence and appreciation that can lead us into the poets style,meaning and metaphor which is so arbitrary and defined that it makes for understanding the things that appeal to us more than what the poet offers..we all take something and give something in return a bit of ourselves and that is so special on here..cool...old greek proverb don't exercise after a kebab the night before..630AD

EllaLouis
May 1st, 2016, 11:27 AM
I agree with all of this -- including the kebab warning :-)

Yup, the lines are blurred between published regularly in print/e-zine and/or MFA poets on the one hand, and amateur poets like me on the other -- especially in a workshop situation, which is what we have here in most of the poetry forums, I assume (total newbie in this jungle!)

EllaLouis
May 1st, 2016, 11:29 AM
Maybe another distinction is famous versus infamous poets... LOL!

escorial
May 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM
your words could lead you into a world you dreamed of or leave you frustrated and rejected but either way what your left with is a body of work that will remain apart of you come what may..you are the words you write i think....this site needs new poets,writers to keep evolving into what it has become and more in the future....

escorial
May 12th, 2016, 02:34 PM
i do believe there comes a time when you have gone as far as you want with poetry..recentley i have read over what i have done and i have acheived my goal...to put my emotional state, come what may into words and the feeling is ok.....never say never but you have to reach a point in anything you do where you can feel the need to carry on and i think for me..what poetry has done it's given the inner voice to some deep feelings that could not have been expressed any other way,well not in a positive way me thinks. Still the desire to read will always remain and long may it continue to read poets who have given themselves to words and shared their inner most feelings that are so powerful and extend beyond the words themselves.When i started writing poetry it was about a release for me and while sometimes being sidetracked was a pleasent suprise it has in essence been a selfish act on my part that i'm fine with on many levels..all in all it's been a blast and i'm so glad i done it..it feels good to say that...cool