PDA

View Full Version : Short Stuff -- How do YOU write it?

aj47
December 12th, 2015, 12:09 AM
I don't have The Answer -- I don't believe there is one.

I can only speak for what I do.

There are four aspects, in my mind.

Avoid filler words--pronouns, articles, conjunctions, etc.
Check your voicing--active words tend to be smaller than passive ones.
Concentrate the thought--I've pared things from four stanzas to three lines.
Use big words--don't be afraid to exercise your vocabulary a little.

escorial
December 12th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Interesting stuff....cool

escorial
December 13th, 2015, 04:08 PM
i think the best was to approach short stuff is to not hide the meaning but give the reader a set of words for them to think of how they might affect them...or at least make them think about a thought.....

aj47
December 13th, 2015, 04:32 PM
One more thing:

Repetition is for lyrics--in lyrics you need a hook, but in poetry, if you're using an economy of words, you get more mileage from synonyms.

Ariel
February 10th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Use a simple but effective single image.

Blade
February 10th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Do not introduce anything that you are unable to follow up on, this only makes the work appear bloated and ragged around the edges.:pukel:

escorial
February 21st, 2016, 01:50 AM
3 replies so dif it warrants a poem....

Radrook
February 28th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Allusions come in very handy in giving short pieces intellectual depth.

EllaLouis
March 18th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Aha, so that is why the first poem I read by you was concentrated and had a couple of big words that worked so well!

I am a fan of short poems, that is why I commented on your Poetry Slam straightaway.
Life is too short for filler words (possible exception when you try rhyme and metre, but I guess not really then either, unless it is light-hearted stuff -- like a triolet).

I think a short poem needs a very strong image (or two fused images that lead to an epiphany).
Hmm, interesting discussion.

People think a short novel (and maybe a short poem too) is easier to write. Not so. You peel away, even shuffle away, so much heavy rubbish to end up with your (hopefully) gem of an offering!

EllaL

Olly Buckle
March 19th, 2016, 12:27 AM
'Less is more' has various aspects. You can concentrate on a single, simple subject for example, or you can phrase things using collective words rather than itemising the particular. The more you think about it the more ways you can find 'Less is more', it's a great adage.

escorial
March 19th, 2016, 04:23 PM
often reading graffiti shows me just how powerful a few words can bring me to walk and think..yes,no..not sure about that but ultimatley the words affected me....and that's poetry for me