PDA

View Full Version : For Poe Fans...

Gumby
October 10th, 2015, 03:20 PM
If you are a fan, as I am, of Edgar Allan Poe, you may find this interesting. Especially if you live within the area and can actually participate in this. I can't, darn it!

Poe Toaster Competition
(http://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-history-buffs-raise-edgar-allen-poe-tradition-from-the-dead-143543176.html)

Ariel
October 10th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I live too far away. :(

He was my first poetic love. I can recite "A Dream within a Dream" from memory and have been trying to memorize "Annabelle Lee" for some time.

Doc Martin
October 10th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I love Poe and live nearby but cannot participate.

mrmustard615
October 10th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I actually am in Baltimore and the toast is something of tradition.

Well, the story of the anonymous toaster is in the link Gumby gives, but it used to be something that made big news here.

My High School (Junior High really-we were a six year school) had an Edgar Allan Poe club. Each year they would visit the grave. I'm not sure exactly what they did (I missed being in the club by a year) but I think basically they would lay flowers and maybe recite some passages.

For a while there was speculation that it was more than one person that visited his grave on Poe's birthday. I guess we'll never know.

It's unlikely I'll attend as much as I like Poe, but I'm sure it will be on the news. If I see anything on local news I'll be happy to report on the contest.

J Anfinson
October 10th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I'm not big on poetry, though I do like The Raven. I love Poe for his short stories. The Fall of the House of Usher is probably my favorite.

Arthur G. Mustard
October 10th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I love the dark, moody gothic atmosphere Poe creates. I think if you're looking for inspiration or want to relax with a glass of red during the darker months, then he's your man. Unfortunately I do not live in the area and would take more than a moment to get there. :)