PDA

View Full Version : Poetic Exercise

aj47
June 26th, 2015, 09:04 PM
I'm re-reading Stephen Fry's "The Ode Less Traveled" and it got me thinking about poetic exercise.

Would anyone else be interested in an exercise sub-forum?

The idea would be to have a thread for each exercise, containing both the exercise itself and commentary on the exercise and our individual efforts.

That way, we could support each other as we try new things.

Darkkin
June 26th, 2015, 09:15 PM
I'm in. Love Stephen Fry.

musichal
June 26th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Sounds interesting to me, could you explain an example of an exercise? Would everybody write a haiku, then we offer opinion and/or commentary be the type of thing you mean? Then some other form next?

PiP
June 26th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I'm in. Love Stephen Fry. I'm wondering rather than setting up another subforum why not add them here (http://www.writingforums.com/forums/102-Poetry-Prompts-and-Word-Games).

Gumby
June 26th, 2015, 10:54 PM
I'm game. :)

musichal
June 26th, 2015, 10:56 PM
So does Fry's book include exercises?

aj47
June 26th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Sounds interesting to me, could you explain an example of an exercise? Would everybody write a haiku, then we offer opinion and/or commentary be the type of thing you mean? Then some other form next?

Something like: Write <x> lines of iambic pentameter. Not as a piece, but as individual lines. Be silly, be dark, be however you feel. The idea is to feel the rhythm so that you can a) observe b) understand and c) create your own work with it. No judgement from the audience except possibly to say, no, your <nth> line isn't iambic or whatever. The idea is with community support we can explore things we'd be daunted to try at home and we'd all grow in the process.

Or, without using a rhyming dictionary find five words that rhyme (or that rhyme with a specific word). Stuff like that. As we get better with the easy stuff, we can explore more difficult things.

With physical exercise, it helps to have a buddy or to join a group. I see how the same sort of thing might be possible here.

I'm in. Love Stephen Fry. I'm wondering rather than setting up another subforum why not add them here (http://www.writingforums.com/forums/102-Poetry-Prompts-and-Word-Games).

Because it would be like building a gym in an amusement park. People who go there to have fun may not understand that this is serious work we're doing and may inadvertently (or purposefully) pick on those braving the public eye with their exercises.

While we may have fun doing it, the purpose isn't to entertain the gaming public. Am I making sense?

So does Fry's book include exercises?

It does, but I wouldn't want to limit it by making it a book club sort of thing. I think we can (and should) also come up with our own ways of exercising our poetic selves.

musichal
June 26th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Oh, I am so in.

aj47
June 26th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Oh, and to clarify, I meant as a sub-forum of Poetry. Like the Poetry Discussion sub-forum.

PiP
June 26th, 2015, 11:18 PM
S

Because it would be like building a gym in an amusement park. People who go there to have fun may not understand that this is serious work we're doing and may inadvertently (or purposefully) pick on those braving the public eye with their exercises.

While we may have fun doing it, the purpose isn't to entertain the gaming public. Am I making sense?

Yes, you are making sense. :) If a member takes a thread off topic we deal with it. We could always try it and see how it goes, or if we want a closed group we utilize the Young Poets Group which I understand was one of the reasons it was set up. (for anyone reading this, 'Young Poets' has nothing to do with age).

aj47
June 26th, 2015, 11:21 PM
In the immortal words of whoever said it first, "Trying doesn't hurt--failing does." ;)

musichal
June 26th, 2015, 11:24 PM
A thread in YPS makes sense.

PiP
June 26th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Failure is not an option :)

Gumby
June 26th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a plan. :)

musichal
June 26th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Oh, and to clarify, I meant as a sub-forum of Poetry. Like the Poetry Discussion sub-forum.

Thank you for the clarification. I still wander around blundering into rooms from "What's New" so I went to Poetry to see what you meant by sub-forum. I'm such a noob.

aj47
June 26th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Trying games first. The groups are public, but not in the same way. I belong to several but don't read any because they're not in my face.

PiP
June 27th, 2015, 12:10 AM
The YPS is a private group. It's by invitation only :)

musichal
June 27th, 2015, 12:26 AM
The YPS is a private group. It's by invitation only :)

Yeah, it's pretty good real estate, a gated community which keeps in ruffians like us - we'd fit right in.