PDA

View Full Version : Rubiks World Chapter 1

caters
June 6th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I decided to rewrite the first chapter taking paragraphs into consideration.

I am currently writing the second chapter.

Here is the first chapter:

At first, there were thousands if not millions of cubies. However, this large population would soon become small.
They assembled into cubes, cuboids, dodecahedra, tetrahedra, and so on. However, I am going to concentrate on the cubes.

The number of cubies involved would be 9010 for 1x1 up to 17x17. They all were special and they formed a complex friendship network with 153 friendships.

They decided to do a control study for pregnancy.

Powers of two were male and the 1x1, 5x5, 11x11, and 17x17 were also male. All others were female.

These were the conditions*:

High Food
High Water
Cold
Hot
Sterile
Infectious
Low food
Low water

*Note: The control happens a little later than the conditionals.

The pairs are these:
2x2 6x6
4x4 7x7
8x8 9x9
16x16 15x15
1x1 10x10
5x5 12x12
11x11 13x13
17x17 14x14

And for the control:

8x8 14x14

The 3x3 kept track of the pregnancies and the development of the children after birth.

The 3x3 said, “For the high food it is the sum. For the high water, it is the smaller of the middle values. For the cold, it is the larger of the middle values. For the hot, it does not even get past pregnancy, in other words, a miscarriage. For the sterile, it is the difference. For the infectious, it is the smaller of the parents. For the low food, it is the difference. For the low water, it to does not get past pregnancy so once again, a miscarriage. Last but not least for the control it is the larger of the parents.”

Therefore, the sizes of the offspring are:
8x8
5x5
9x9
9x9
5x5
2x2
and
14x14

This scientific study got everybody’s attention.

ACB
July 6th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a maths class! The idea is great, but there's no characterisation, so it's difficult to read! Do the cubies and their families have names and/or personalities?

Issachar
July 10th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Caters,
This made me smile. Very creative. One thing that would help is if you made the test goals a little clearer. A "control study for pregnancy" sounds like a study about whether or not they can become pregnant, rather than a study about the viability of said pregnancies, and the characteristics of the offspring. Again, very creative. The reference to a Rubik's cube helps as a visual to keep the math from being overwhelming.
I look forward to chapter 2
Issachar

jtgrall
August 3rd, 2015, 12:45 AM
Im sure this is good. Just to sophisticated for my simple mind

Tbird0000
August 21st, 2015, 08:28 AM
I really don't want to be rude, but this had no appeal to me. I feel like somewhere in there was the question "A train leaves from San Francisco going 87 mph, another train, yada, yada, yada". Is this a story or your math homework? I'm so sorry.

So when I read the title "Rubiks World", I was pulled in thinking of what a rubiks world could be like. Maybe its a space ship travelling through space with stations or labs that can move as a whole freely across the center of the ship or something. Wasn't quite expecting this though. I think every writer has projects that are successful and some that are scrapped. I recommend this to be the latter.