PDA

View Full Version : To Bishop company (two small foul words)

sailorguitar
June 1st, 2015, 04:31 PM
** This is a blurb, an experiment, little more than an undeveloped idea I wanted to put down. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading! **

“Where are we?” Mono asked, raising his voice above the grinding steel of the armored pickup truck as they navigated the ruined streets. “I don’t think we’ve been here before.”

“South end, down by the old brewery.” Nav replied, her face glowing in the darkened cab from the cool light of her tablet.

“I haven’t been down this way since before everything fell apart. This was never my part of the city. Man, twelve years…” He trailed off and seemed to lose himself in a brief flash of memory.

“Where is the brewery?” He then insisted, now back in the moment, and shifted the old Toyota into third accompanied by a growl from the gearbox. “I don’t see it anywhere.”

“You want to take this right up ahead. Grayson St. See it?“ Nav said, “It’s about two blocks ahead. It looks like the quickest way to get to the Bishop Company's camp, according to the map anyway.” She squinted at the tablet, trying to reconcile memory with the reality presented to her on the real time map, and zoomed in to see if the brewery was represented at 100%.

“You know what Mono? The brewery isn’t even here, it’s not on the map, but I swear it used to be right here.” She said, tapping her finger on the tablet. “You can’t see it out there? The big old stacks? It should be to your left.” Nav looked up as if seeing the old brick behemoth rising in front of them, as if she could see beyond the steel plating that wrapped the cab in a protective shield from anything incoming.

Mono looked left and right, the vision goggles strapped over his eyes causing him to appear not so much eyeless, or blind, but nocturnal. He slowed down to second and the camera beneath the front bumper swung as he turned his head, probing into the night time scene lit only by the truck’s headlights, “I don’t see the brewery, no sign of it. Everything was pretty much destroyed down here. They leveled the industrial area, it’s all rubble. Remember?” Mono, out of habit, raised his eyebrows and turned his head to look at her, but all he saw was the passing grey and black rubble, the bushes, trees and grass growing through it all and the rising dust kicked up by the tires of the truck.

“Keep your eyes on the road Mono.” Nav said, “yeah, I do remember.” And she touched his arm.

“I see the intersection though, “ Mono said, “I don’t think I can do it. It looks like something’s blocking the street. An old firing position… yeah. Here Nav, pop open the portal and look, I can’t see too well. Looks like somebody holed up in there for a while. Maybe still is.”

Nav clicked on the spotlight they had rigged to the side of the truck, then snapped the clasp on the steel window portal and with a squeal from the hinge (needs oil, she instinctively thought), swung the cover up. She pointed the light at the passing intersection and gulped in the on rush of fresh air and briefly closed her eyes.

“Yeah, it does look like a firing position, the concrete medians are stacked two high. You can see where they had their positions. The little holes drilled through the concrete. The thing is all shot to hell though. Ha! They had couches and an old solid state T.V. behind that wall. Man, looks like a lot of blood though. There must have been some recent fighting here. I wonder if it was the Bulldogs, or maybe Bishop Company.” She stated deadpan, “ Ugh… Keep going Mono. We’ll find another way. Nobody’s here.” In the instant before she clicked off the light, the beam illuminated a splash of glowing eyes and monochrome, barrel chested bodies, all static, motionless and not far off behind the firing position.

“Wolves, Mono. Looks like a pack.” She said as she clasped the portal back into place.

“How do they look?”

“Healthier than the hungries.” She said with more than a touch humor.

“Sadistic bitch,” Mono spat the words at her, “They’re in their natural habitat. Hungries aren’t.“

“Yeah, but sometimes it’s easier for me to laugh about it.” Nav said with a smile and turned back to the glow of the tablet.

Mono responded by slumping into the truck’s bench seat, his mouth contorted into a teeth clenching grimace beneath the owlish looking vision goggles. And with a grind and a growl, the truck relented as he shifted back into third.

bilz346
June 1st, 2015, 08:31 PM
Nice! I like it. It has a very Mad Max kind of vibe to it, though with better tech. Good story line and the characters felt real. Very little in the way of spelling/grammar errors.

Brian.

Silence
June 2nd, 2015, 02:58 AM
I like the story. I agree it does it has a Mad Max feel to it. Would like to learn more about this world you've made.

Bevo
June 2nd, 2015, 12:16 PM
Mad Max fore sure, just watched it last night.

Great story that leaves me wanting for more, I like where your going with it!

sailorguitar
June 4th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I saw the new Mad Max a couple of weeks ago. I didn't intend for it to reflect that at all, in fact it wasn't on my mind when I wrote this, at least not knowingly. Thanks for the positive responses.