PDA

View Full Version : "The Feeding: A Woman in Uniform" Parts 13-18 & Epilogue [adult, profanity, gore]

Brian A Seals
May 23rd, 2015, 01:54 AM
The Feeding: AWIU Conclusion (3, 500 words)

Adult/Horror (Graphic and adult language/violence)

Part Thirteen

-00:13 hours

It was them. The same reeking, pale and decomposing corpses, had shed their skins to be warm and strong and fast again. There were six creatures, chasing after Chuck and the girl. At the break-neck speed they were capable of, they would soon overtake and devour them.

The girl tired fast, so she reached out in desperation. She got a hold of Chuck’s pants and let him pull her along, but even that was still exhausting. Around the bend and onto the other half of Abbott, they ran up to a trail and then turned left, and then right and left again.

Left and then right they went, and then there was another left, before two more right turns. The area around them was filled with trimmed grass, and barren of trees and cover. The properties were so far apart, she was sure that losing their pursuers was impossible. Even with Chuck pulling her, she could barely stay on her feet.

Eventually, they stopped behind a large headstone, in the garden-like atmosphere of a cemetery. Both of them were panicked and breathing heavy and staring into the darkness. Behind the stone marker, they saw shadows far off in the distance. The creatures had stopped running and were wandering around; none of them were headed in their direction.

After taking a moment to catch her breath, the girl said, "Ya crazy?”

Chuck said, "We... downwi-"

"What?"

Chuck put his hands on his hips and breathed.

After a moment he said, "Wi-wind at their back...

“They can't smell us."

Chuck leaned against and then slid down the headstone. When he sat down on the ground, a sharp pain stabbed his right arm: it was bleeding again. He looked up at the starlit sky and saw the face of a stone angel, looking down at him from the top of the sculpture. There was a strong urge, to look at the name on that grave, but he was too tired to bother turning around.

----------------

Part Fourteen

-00:20 hours

The girl said, “Take off your shirt”.

Chuck looked at her for a moment and she nodded at his bleeding right arm. He unbuttoned the long sleeve shirt and pulled it off. He had an A-Shirt on, underneath it, but he couldn’t help but feel self-conscious.

The wound wasn’t as deep as he first thought. The thing had still taken a piece of his forearm, but the bleeding wasn’t indicative of severity. While he pressed his left hand against it, the girl dug out her keys. It was a complex set of rings, with keychains, skulls and other decorations.

She got hold of a small, Swiss army knife set and flipped out a blade. It took a moment, for her to find some part of the fabric that wasn’t muddy or wet, but she cut out long strips of his shirt and laid them on top of each other. Chuck stole a glance, while she bandaged up his arm; their eyes met and she looked away, with a small smile. In that light, with her eyes gleaming, Chuck thought she looked painfully beautiful.

He said, “What’s your name, kid?”

“Belle”, she said.

“Belle? I’m sorry I got you into this.”

She shook her head. “I don’t remember you getting me inta anything… Do you?”

After thinking about it for a moment, he nodded and then held out his hand,

“I’m Chuck, Belle.”

She shook it. It was a short, firm handshake.

“Hi Chuck. How much farther is your house?”

“Well, it’s not my house, it’s my ex-wife’s…

“But it’s on Best, up that way. I don’t know how far, but it’s by the corner.”

She groaned. “That’s a hell of a walk, guy.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

The girl peered around the headstone. She saw a few figures in the distance. It looked like there was a handful of them, but she wasn’t sure.

“Where’d they come from?”

“I don’t know”, Chuck said. “I was at the bar, with a few friends of mine, and one of them just appeared.”

She frowned. “You go to the bar on Sundays?”

Chuck paused. “It’s quiet… We like it that way.

“Anyway”, he said, “I don’t know when this started, but they’re everywhere out here. I didn’t see any around, where I stay.”

“Okay, so where is that?”

“Um… North Buffalo, I guess… What about you?”

“Tonawanda”, said the girl. “I don’t know… Maybe it’s worse in the South Towns.”

“Maybe”, Chuck said.

He thought about Billy, and then he said, “That won’t last for long, though. Whatever they got, is catching.”

They shared a look, and then both of them glanced down, at his arm. There was a large spot of red blood, under the makeshift bandage, but it didn’t seem to be getting any bigger.

The girl said, “We better get on with it, then. Maybe when we get there, they’ll have some peroxide or something.”

---------------------

Part Fifteen

-00:27 hours

They made their way out of the cemetery, sneaking out from behind some markers, on the southeast side. The girl was completely lost, but Chuck apparently kept track. Once they were on Bayview Road, Chuck stopped by every vehicle and peered inside. There wasn’t many of them out there.

The girl said, “Now’s the time to get lucky.”

” I hope so”, Chuck said.

After jogging down the street a while, they came upon an old Jeep Cherokee, left running on the side of the road. There was blood on the driver side door and the window, but all of the glass was tinted, so they couldn’t see inside.

“Hold it”, he said.

The door was slightly ajar, so he opened it and peered in. There was nobody in the front of the vehicle, just a little of blood, here and there. In the back he saw a baby seat, and the red remains of something very small nearby. He closed his eyes then, leaving them shut for some time.

The girl said, “Is it okay?”

“Yeah Belle, just… give me a minute.”

He found a small, pink blanket in the back, which he used to cover the corpse. Then he opened the rear driver side door and tried to block the view inside.

“She got a little bit o’ gas in her. Why don’t you go ahead and climb in.”

The girl tried to peer around him, but he leaned against the frame and blocked her. She pursed her lips.

“Alright. Fine.”

When she stepped around the back of the Jeep, he took the bundle out. He waited until she was inside, before he stuffed it down a storm drain. When he got in himself, he immediately threw the vehicle into gear.

The girl said, “Seatbelt please.”

He stopped and latched it into place.

She said, “Well, you were right about ‘a little bit o’ gas’… and I hope it’s enough.”

Chuck looked at the dash again; the needle was on ‘E’.
-----------------------------

Part Sixteen

-00:42 hours

They turned left, onto Clark Street. As soon as they did, they started to see creatures, walking around.

“Jesus”, the girl said. “Where’s all the real people?”

Chuck kept driving, at a slow pace. They were able to make the right onto Knab Drive, but the truck stalled before they could reach High Street.

The girl sighed. “Guess that’s it.”

Chuck said, “It ain’t much farther.”

There was a group of men-things shambling up, from about forty yards, behind them. They were slow and plodding, but they fell upon a gutted deer carcass, on the side of the road by the grass. Soon enough, they’d have the meat to heal and the energy to chase them.

“C’mon”, Chuck said.

It only took them a minute, to jog up to Best, but they turned the corner into a crowd of creatures. The girl’s breath caught in her throat and Chuck motioned for her to be silent. He led her up and onto the lawn, to their right. The house was a distance away from the road, but they had it in plain sight.

No lights were on, in the three story home. Judy had always kept the kitchen lit overnight, for as long as she and Chuck were living together. She was a creature of habit, if he knew anything about her, but he still felt like she was inside.

Blood ran down his arm, as they stepped farther onto the grass. Some of the horde, by that point, had already noticed their presence. Four of the creatures, far apart from each other, were snorting at the air, like bulls. Three other creatures, turned and sprinted towards them.

Chuck and the girl took off, running. The trek to the house was longer than it looked, and they slammed against the front door, out of breath.

The girl said, “C’mon, please!”

Chuck said, “Judy, it’s me! Open up!”

One of the things grabbed him from behind. It latched onto his back and bit him, right over his collarbone. He and the girl both screamed. Two more things were on them, before he had the chance to do anything.

---------------------------------------------

Part Seventeen

-00:54 hours

Blunt teeth clamped down hard, like a vice; warm liquid ran down his chest. Another thing bit his left hand, taking his two middle fingers. The girl was screaming so loud, that it almost dulled the pain. All he wanted to do, was to get to her.

He pulled the thing that bit his hand, closer to him. Then he grabbed the other one on his back and started moving. The three of them plowed into the creature that was struggling, with the girl. Chuck lost his footing and they all hit the ground.

Before anyone else could move, the girl got out the blade from her Swiss army knife, and plunged it into the back, of the creature closest to her; it squealed louder than any noise Chuck had ever heard, and the lips of the thing uncurled, as it fell limp against the grass. The other two creatures paused, hesitated, and then leapt at her. Chuck tackled one of them, while the other wrestled the girl to the ground.

She kicked and pushed off and struggled. It went for her neck and she reached around, to bury the knife between his shoulder blades. Another squeal erupted, as loud as the first, and its dead weight was suddenly on top of her. She wiggled free of the body, looked up and screamed.

The zombie standing over her, was so decomposed, that the skull of its face was showing. As it reached down, she lurched out of the way, but then she realized it wanted the body next to her. Two more of the slow-walkers, were already feeding on the creature she killed a minute earlier. A dozen more were on their way.

The man-thing under Chuck, was slim and middle aged. He had it pinned down, but it struggled violently. She handed Chuck the knife and he stabbed at its spine; when it squealed, a number of the approaching monsters stopped, and then they turned and shambled towards it.

Chuck and the girl fell back against the front door. There were three dozen creatures, at least, blocking them from escape. The girl pounded on the door and yelled, as loud as she could. Then they were both hammering on it, and Chuck sprayed blood on the wood, with every blow.

Something clicked. It was followed by the whir of a motor, and the garage door to their right started to open. They ran for it and knocked creatures aside, as they did so. It raised at such a slow pace however, that the girl laid down on the ground and rolled underneath.

Chuck dove in after her. There was a red Volkswagen parked nearby, with a small boy in the rear windshield, screaming. When the girl opened the rear driver side door, he could hear his son calling out to him. He tried to get up, but something had him by the ankle.

Three of the things grabbed and held him, by his legs. He tried to kick out, but two more pinned him down. Pain shot through him, as the creatures tore through denim and leather and wool. They were biting, clawing, and ripping off the rest of his clothing.

He felt the car pass by, but he didn’t hear it. He was surrounded by a mass of bloody faces, human, bloody faces. Their folded out lips disgusted him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Part Eighteen

-01:08 hours

The squeal he heard then, seemed different. There was no panic, or wail in it, and the pitch varied slightly, during the call. The things surrounding him paused for a moment. They cocked their heads to the side and listened, and then the sound was repeated, exactly as before.

They backed off; some more slowly than others. One young creature, with blond spiky hair, stood there with his folded out lips and bloody face, staring and opening and closing its maw. The call came again and it flinched. Another, similar sound was heard, before it withdrew.

The face that replaced his, was much easier on the eyes; the young black woman had skin that practically glowed in the overhead light. Her hair was tied up into a bun, revealing the curve of her neck and shoulders, and her pale brown eyes were bordered, by dark and heavy eyelashes. Covering her was a plain blue outfit; a set of scrubs that didn’t do much, to hide her curves.

Chuck shook his head. Before the divorce, he used to argue that Judy was boring. All he had wanted her to do, was to spice up their love life and surprise him one day, by dressing up for him. This thing that approached, attracted him more than she ever did. It was the third woman he’d seen, in such a short time, that he had wanted immediately; it was also the last person, he wanted to actually be there.

She walked up, bent and then knelt over him. Her nostrils flared with the intake of air, and then she placed her hands down on his chest. The fingers traveled up to his neck first, then they cupped and caressed his jawline. The hands clamped down on his mouth suddenly, and forced it open.

She wasn’t that strong, but Chuck was too weak to stop her; he couldn’t even move. She brought her face close to his, turned it, as if to kiss him, and then she curled her lips back, as she spread her mouth wider than what he would have thought possible. It was then, that the transfer was made. Whatever it was, that passed down from her throat and into his, was slimy, rancid and acidic.

He swallowed mechanically, but the stuff had coated his mouth and tongue. With its own consciousness and energy, it forced open the trachea, and slid down toward his lungs. The trail it made, burned the lining of his throat, and smoke twisted up into the air. Chuck lost his breath, and then he stopped breathing entirely.

-------------------------------------------------

Epilogue

-01:55 hours

The connection with the eyes was weak, but it opened them. The world that they found was dark and devoid of detail, but with some effort, it could recognize the form of shapes. There were also clear areas of light, but there weren’t any grays to be seen.

When it commanded the lungs to take in air, it was assaulted by a wave of sensation. There was an immediate repulsion, from the scent which surrounded it, and whenever it exhaled the feeling got worse. Dark figures stepped around and over it. That thick and rancid smell, seeped deeper into its being, the closer they came.

Instinctively, it sought flight from its position. It sent signals through the spine, to the host’s extremities, finding limbs and digits that responded to its call. The nervous system of the host was now its own; there was feeling, aches and incredible pain.

It stood with some effort, finding that it had difficulty, keeping its balance. One end of a lower limb, had been gnawed down to a nub, so it shifted and found stability with the other. Stepping cautiously around, it gained the feeling of moving in space. Gravity and weight, air and scent, all of it was new, as it had no memory to draw from.

A sound reached the ears of the host, and then echoed down to it. Instinct pulled at it again, but before it sought the origin of the call, another scent licked its surface and it stopped. It had no words for ‘blood’, and no concept of meat, but a crushing hunger gripped it and it was forced to respond.

The woman in the corner of the garage, had been dead for over four hours. Her husband had driven a steak knife into her back, to keep her from eating her young child. The tarp her family had covered her with, had been tossed aside. The body had been consumed, but the skull and neck hadn’t been stripped clean.

Before it knew what it was doing, a cascade of signals escaped it, into the spine. The body lurched forward into the smell, so it repeated the signals, again and again. The body moved faster and faster, before it fell over and landed, into the air awash with blood. The lungs of the host body were forcibly expanded, in order to home in on the source.

While pulling itself along the ground, the fingers of the host touched bones. Hunger gripped the parasite then, but the spasm was brief. It searched for a connection with the maw, and found that it was much stronger, than the one with the eyes. It sent signals to the face as it crawled, and the lips curled away from the gums and teeth.

---------------------------------------------
The End.

B.A. Seals (2015)

Harper J. Cole
May 24th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Yes, good story, rather a sad ending, but then that's in the tradition of zombie movies like Night of the Living Dead. :eek:

HC

NathanBrazil
May 24th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I'm a sucker for In Media Res narrative and you did not dissapoint. I realize it's not really In Media Res, since this is the tail end of your story, but since I'm reading with fresh eyes, it certainly had that effect. I breezed through these 3500 words - actually 3000. Even the 2nd read was relatively fast. You've made interesting, clever zombie choices.

She got a hold of Chuck’s pants and let him pull her along, but even that was still exhausting.
This part confused me a bit. I know what you're after, but I think if he grabs her hand, it would help clarify.

Left and then right they went, and then there was another left, before two more right turns.
These lefts and rights don't really help clarify what's happening, especially with the properties so far apart. I might consider dropping this bit.

Both of them were panicked and breathing heavy and leering.
I don't think leering is a good word choice here.

There was a strong urge, to look at the name on that grave, but he was too tired to bother turning around.
I liked this bit. Just because people are in fear for their lives, doesn't mean they don't have irrational urges.

It was a complex set of rings, with keychains, skulls and other decorations.
Very nice description. Simple and clean. You give just enough description and avoid purple prose in this action filled scene.

Soon enough, they’d have the meat to heal and the energy to chase them.
I like this choice. I wonder if these creatures will be unable to move, if they lose enough energy. It makes me want to hunt for the original parts 1 - 12 to get a better understanding of these zombies.

Four of the creatures, far apart from each other, were snorting at the air, like bulls.
Good choice of animal. It matches the temperament and the speed, once they spring into action.

Another squeal erupted, as loud than the first, and its dead weight was suddenly on top of her.
Should be either "louder than" or "as loud as".

As it reached down, she lurched out of the way, but then she realized it wanted the body next to her.
If I'm reading this right, they can feed on their own. Another interesting choice.

There was a red Volkswagen parked nearby, with a small boy in the rear windshield, screaming.
I know what you're after but it reads as if he's inside the windshield. Maybe "a small boy in the backseat". Not sure.

The face that replaced his, was much easier on the eyes; the young black woman had skin that practically glowed in the overhead light.
Again I'm wanting to get a better sense of these creatures. I'm assuming this is in the first part of your story.

It was the third woman he’d seen, in such a short time, that he had wanted immediately; it was also the last person, he wanted to actually be there.
Maybe female is a better choice, if there was an inappropriate attraction towards the young girl. If you're referring to other women in the first half of your story, then ignore.

Add: I forgot to add one of my favorite choices. The one-bite zombie transference can often be a difficult constraint to deal with. What are the odds that a passel of hungry zombies isn't going to get in one nibble. Here the transference is much more difficult. Excellent choice.

Very enjoyable. You have to point me in the direction of the rest of this story. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Brian A Seals
May 25th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Hey NathanBrazil;

The other parts of this story are in this forum. They are numbered, and should be easy to find: They're marked Parts 1-4, Parts 5-8, and 9-12. Just to clarify, though her specific age isn't revealed, Belle's age at the time of the story is 20.

Thanks for pointing out that mistake, with the "louder than as" bit. No idea how that got by me. It's fixed.