PDA

View Full Version : The Demon's Daughter Part 2

Silence
May 17th, 2015, 03:11 AM
A raven flies over a misty mountain range, its lonely cries echo through solitary range. As the ominous bird flaps its wings, one of its black feathers comes lose and drifts down through the misty blanket. The wind gentle blows, making the feather dance and spin on its decent to the unknown ground that waits for it below. The black feather flutters through the mist past a young Dee, who is standing on her hands upon two wooden posts.

She watches the raven feather drift past her nose and back into the white void. She returns her attention to Oni, who is hand standing in front of her, on his own two posts, with his eyes close. She tries to keep her arms from buckling while trying to regain focus. The wind blows her hair, that is darker then the feather that floated by, around her face. Unable to brush it away from her eyes, she tries to move her hair by shaking her head. The motion from her head shaking brings her stance out of balance and one of her arms gives slightly. She lets out a little squeak from the panic do to the brief moment of instability and quickly regains control.

“If you desire to become a demon, you must have full control over your body.” Oni lectures her without opening his eyes. “Once you have full control then you’ll be one step closer to having absolute power.”

“Absolute power?” Dee asks trying to keep her legs up.

“There are two main kinds of power: absolute and temporary. Absolute power can’t be given by anyone, it is obtain and once obtain can’t be taken away by anyone till the day you die. Temporary power is given and it can be taken away at any time.”

“So the point of become a demon is to obtain absolute power?”

Oni balances himself on one arm and lowers his legs to the vacant post. He perch on the post, his dark form stands out against the white fog, giving him the present of the demon he is. He stares at her for long time. His dark eyes narrow and the sound of him taken a deep breath fill the air.

“The point of becoming a demon is one you must learn on your own.”

A strong breeze blows around them and the misty fog clears for a breath moment. Dee looks down, with a bead of sweat runs down her fore head to her hair line, to see the ground almost a hundred feet away from her.

The rocking of the wagon and creaking of the wheels wakens Dee from her slumber and release her from the old memory. She hears unknown voice and movement and senses the presents of others. Her eyes open and scan over her fellow passengers to see a mother, cradling her infant son, and two gentlemen, one is far older than the other, both whom are dress like scholars and appears to be arguing. She stretches her arms above her and bends her backwards causing the hood of her cloak to fall back. Her raven hair flows down her back, no longer trap beneath the cloak. She soon acquires the unwanted attention of her fellow passengers as she does so.

“I’m sorry my dear, did we wake you?” The senior scholar asks.

“No,” Dee responses pulling her hood back over her raven hair. “you didn’t.”

“You’ll have to forgive them. They’ve been arguing since they got on.” The mother whispers to her.

“There is no need to mine me.”

“Okay. Now where were we?” The senior asks turning to his junior. “Aw yes now I remember. The demon spawn is nothing more than an over exaggerated tales of events that have nothing in common with each other.”

“But master, in many of these tales there is always has the same person begin describe. A you women with dark hair and strength that surpasses most men.” The junior scholar proclaims.

“That isn’t proof. People who spread these rumors are just using the same description so people will listen to them.”

“But take the most recent story told by a group of women who have been kidnapped in the port city to the south. Their capturers where taken out single handedly by a women matching the description. She even crushed one of the capturers’ skulls with her foot with no effort.”

“That is preposterous. One cannot simply crush a human skull with their foot. Even they were able to do so they will break the bones in their foot and be unable to walk probably ever again.”

“One could if they were the spawn of a demon.”

“How many times must I tell you? We are scholars. We study facts not fairy tales. There is no such thing as demons so there can be no demon spawn.”

Their discussion continues back and forth with both unwilling to back down. Dee focuses her hearing to sounds beyond the wagon, hoping to drown out the two men. She hears the sound of the wheels rolling change as from rolling over dry ground to hard paved stone. The sound of water accompany by the buzzing of a city drawing near.

“Are you meeting someone at the festival?” The mother’s gentle voice interprets her concentration.
She looks at the woman. Dee notices that see is in her mid to late thirties. The child in her arms appears to be only a few months old at best. A slight smile comes to her face at the thought of a innocent child ridding in a wagon with the demon’s daughter. She continues to stare at the woman, ignoring the question.

“Your parents… or perhaps a lover? I met my husband at a festival just like the one they are having here when I was your age.”

“No.” Dee answers. “My parents have long since been dead and I have no interest in having a lover.”

“Oh, then are you in route to a family member that is to be looking after you?”

“The only person that is anything like a family member to me has disappeared many a season ago. Even if I wanted to search for him it would be a pointless endeavor.”

“You poor thing, it must be hard for a girl your age to be all alone in the world without some to watch over you.”

“I do not share your pointless ideologies. So I don’t feel loneliness nor do I need someone to dictate my life.” Dee says with irritation in her voice and narrow eyes.

Her cold word’s and icy stare silence the mother and the scholars own argument comes to an end. Uncomforting silence settles among them as the wagon rocks. The mother begins to squirm under Dee’s stare. The silence begins to fade when the sounds of the city became louder and started to come from all around. The creaking of the wheels begins to slowly die down and the wagon comes to stop with a slight jerk.

“We have arrived at our destination.” A voice from the front of the wagon informs the passengers. “We leave in morning, if you aren’t on you’ll be leaved behind.”

The two scholars and the mother, with her son in arm, gather their belongings and make their way out of the wagon. When the cloth flap was pulled aside, sunlight floods the wagon. All of them had to cover their eyes at the sudden brightness. The junior scholar hops out before his mentor and holds out of his arm for the other scholar. With the senior scholar out of the wagon, the young man leaves his arm up to help the mother down with ease.

Dee grabs her small traveling sack and follows suit. She reaches the end of the wagon to find, to her distaste, the young scholar holding his hand out for her to take. Without giving him a second glance, she jumps from the wagon and landing firmly on her feet. She rises up, not looking back to see the smile of the scholar disappear.

With pack in hand, she walks by the other passengers, leavening them behind as she walks into the crowd. Her dark eyes focus on what’s before her, all the faces of the people she passes blur to together as one. She walks among the crowd with the grace of the years of her harsh training that been pounded into her.

As she walks, the sounds of the festival reach her ears. The joyful music resonating from the festival draws her attention to the glowing lights. Like a moth to a flame, she heads straight for the colorful a ray of lights. Along with her, a gathering crowd forms, growing thicker as they drew closer. The heard of humans make their way, with her in the thick of it, to the scene of the festival. The thickness of the group limits her ability to see what’s all around her. What she was able to see were wooded posts with lines of various color flags going from one to another and smaller wooden post coming out of them but not much else. Where her sight was unable to give much aid, her ears were able to pick up people singing and instruments playing. She feels her inner curiosity spike along with the need to seek out their source.

Without warning or thought her mine returns to the time when she watches the raven feather float through the white mist. And like the feather she weaves through the human fog. With full of control of her body, she efficiency and effortlessly makes it to the edge of the heard. The crowd has form a large circle and before her, inside the eye of the assembly of the town’s people, many young people around her age dance to the rhythm of the music.

Dropping her mingle pack to the ground and walks with bold confidence to post in the center of the eye. Feeling all eyes focus on her, Dee begins to sway back and forth in sync with the music. Suddenly, after finding center beat of the music, she takes off dancing. Her feet step around each other allowing her to spin around with great ease. As she does so, her arms move around torso and through her raven black hair so the strains of hair will appear to levitate.

She dance her way through the other dancers to the nearest post. Grabbing hold of one of the smaller post perpendicular poles, she pulls herself upward and as she doses so, her body swings in an arch motion. At the moment of the apex of the arch, she releases the pole and soars through the air as gracefully as the once lonely raven flew upon its proud wings. Coming down upon another pole, she temporary plants the ball of one of her feet on to it and pushes off. Keeping her body moving in beat with the music, she makes her why to the top of the post.

Upon reaching the highest point, she land stands perfectly still with her hair flowing in the wind. Her eyes turn down toward the people that stood on the ground with and find that they are all now small and share the same appearance. Tiring of the repetitive appearance below her eyes, they turn toward the night sky. Far greater above her, the stars begin to twinkle among the blanket of the night.

Among the tiny lights rises the proud and scarred moon to bear its might for all to see. The lunar rays shine down on to her, starching out her arms as if to catch them. The rays make her dark appearance stand in contrast to the white light. She resumes her dance on top of the post among the soft light and becomes the raven feather that pasted her nose so long ago.

The fresh light of dawn chases the shadows of the night west in their never ending cycle, as he wagon driver prepares his team of horses for the day long travel. Dee was the first of her unwanted companions to emerge from the inn and heads for the wagon. She makes no move to stray way from her destination like the night before. Behind her she hears the baby boy’s cooing in his mother’s arms and the two bickering scholars.

“Hypothetically: if such a being were to existence in this world.” The Senior Scholar speaks to his pupil. “It would have to obey laws of nature. If it matches the tales you fondly keep speaking of, the demon spawn would be a primate and thus needs to be a male instead of a female given the amount of physical strength is need to carry out such feats.”

“But master the demon spawn my not fallow the same set of laws of nature as primates. So the male may be the weaker of the sexes.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. The laws of nature won’t make exception for any one species.”

“I hate to interrupt you gentlemen.” Dee hears the mother’s voice as she toss her old pack into the wagon. “Why do you two always arguing with each other?”

“My dear lady, thou we appear to be arguing from the outside. We are having a debate to try to grow our knowledge.” The oldest scholar explains.

Dee grabs hold of the side of the wagon with one hand and places a foot on the step. Before continuing to enter the pulled vehicle, she looks over at the other three riders and watch as the senior scholar talks to the mother. She notices a pendent of a star inside of a triangle gleaming in the morning light on the old man’s clothing. With no second thought given to it, she hosted herself up and takes her seat from yesterday. Pulling the hood of her cloak over her close eyes, she smiles fondly at the memory of her dance upon the post.

Harper J. Cole
May 17th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Again, good atmosphere at the beginning of the chapter, the raven feather was a nice artistic touch. I find it easy to visualise the world you're creating.

Incidentally, I think that Oni is the Japanese word for a demon? I used to study Japanese; is it an interest of yours?

HC

Silence
May 18th, 2015, 01:05 AM
I have an interest in Japanese and Asian culture since in it almost the polar opposite of western culture.

Harper J. Cole
May 18th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Agreed, I was lucky enough to have a holiday there five years ago, intriguingly different. I particularly recommend the Sumo to anyone who gets the chance! :thumbr:

hhourani
May 31st, 2015, 07:39 PM
I really like this story. Here, again, the manga feel is very well pronounced.

The typos are distracting, though. Is someone helping you with that? The words are spelled correctly but they are not the words you're looking for in many cases. A native English speaker would be able to help with this.

Don't stop though. I love this story and can't wait for part 3!

Silence
June 1st, 2015, 03:32 AM
Part 3 is up. My mother is helping me with that. I am a native English speaker but I can't spell worth shit. So the wrong word gets spell checked in. I'm got a phone that can do translations, so I'm going to try to use that help keep the problem form happening in the future.

bilz346
June 2nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
I was also thinking that you were not a native English speaker. The story is good, but the spelling issues really slow the read down. Every time I see them, and there are a lot, I have to stop what I'm reading to figure out what you were trying to say. If writing is truly a craft that you want to follow, you will need to work to improve in this area.

Brian

Silence
June 3rd, 2015, 01:43 AM
Spelling was never my strongest suit. It is actually my least worn one. That is one of the reason why I'm here. To try to fix that problem.