PDA

View Full Version : A Shroom with a View

OrigamiSweaterClub
May 7th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I’ve had many lengthy discussions with merlin’s mushroom. Nice guy, he is.

On one occasion, I was taken to a room where the entire floor was a mural of a mandala; a concentric structure filled with lines, geometric patterns and inhabited by various symbols, figures and deities.

I was led to the center where the toadstool sat, and was gestured to sit on top of its head. For some reason I did not think this strange at the time; too eager to ask my questions, I suppose.

Before I could speak, the earth began to tremble. And the mandala beneath us began to move, like a living organism, it writhed and rose from the floor. It’s tendrils slowly wrapped itself around my legs, moving up my body like serpents. Soon my entire body was covered, and then it continued flowing outward, stretching out in every direction, moving beyond the walls, enveloping everything in its path.

In my mind’s eye it urged me to follow. So I did.

It showed me itself weaving through the world; around a mother nursing a weeping child to the father still fast asleep, to a single fly circling an empty can of tuna, to the kid kicking the tin down battered streets, to naked lovers up on a rooftop, and the hoard of honking taxis down beneath, wove through a circle of dancing pagans, over monks in meditation, between clinking glasses at a banquet, to a child cowering beneath his blanket, to a herd of homeless starving for food, to a room of actors starving for attention, to a school of orphans starving for love, to a house of addicts starving for drugs, to a single speck of floating dust, to the vast gambit of stars above, everything was sewn together, up through the infinite and down to the infinitesimal. Everything was connected.

It is in this space I knew I’d find answers. So I began to speak...

"I have travelled thousands of miles over land, sea, and air, in search for a thing I call my ‘self,' but to no avail. Can you help me with my search, O wise and infallible seer?"

There was a moment of silence, then I heard its gentle voice.

“It is silly to search for a thing that is not lost. You are here, where else would you be? To find your "self” is a fool’s quest. Have you forgotten that humans were made to be keys, and keys don’t search for themselves, they search for things to unlock?” 

“So what then should I be searching for?" I asked.

“Many treasures that are uniquely your own… these are tools, skills and artifacts, which were lost in The Sea of Limiting Beliefs... but they've always belonged to you. They are pieces of a puzzle that makes you whole and will restore and reshape your points of view."

“So I am looking for myself? Isn’t that what I have been doing? I am so confused”

“No, you are here. You must learn to ask the right questions. Pay attention. The clues are hidden throughout the world; in people, in places, and in experiences. Look deeply at yourself, then look around to see where you fit and where you truly belong"

Where I fit? where I belong? thought I.

“I don’t think that place exists"

“There are many locks and many doors, and you can open more than what you cannot”

“I’ve been searching for years! I’m scared i’ll never find my purpose, I’ll never find where I belong!”

“You’ve got legs, have you not? At least you can walk around and try other doors! I’m just a mushroom, I can’t move, I don’t even have a face. How do you think I feel?”

Merlin’s mushroom pondered a moment, then continued…

“Do not despair when your key fails for every action brings you closer to truth, for all you seek is to reacquaint yourself with who you already are, parts of you that you forgot, so like the sculpture hidden within the stone, you chisel away what you are not”

bazz cargo
May 7th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I like this. It has a mythic quality that pushes a lot of buttons. The centring doesn't make it easy to read but the effort is worth it.

I was so hooked I didn't notice any SPaG issues, sorry.

Is this intended to be part of something bigger?

Thanks for sharing.

CerebralAssasin
May 7th, 2015, 10:18 PM
This is a very inspirational piece.I too have lost myself many times,and in a sense,I'm still searching for my purpose in life,so this piece really resonates with me.I'm guessing the MC ingested some mushrooms and had a nice,"enlightenment" trip?or DMT?

OrigamiSweaterClub
May 8th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Thanks so much guys :) I'm not sure exactly what I'm planning to do with this yet, it may be part of a series of stories from my life but reimagined in fable form... maybe. haha.

It definitely was inspired by entheogenic type experiences @CerebralAssasin :)

Bevo
May 9th, 2015, 01:23 PM
What a great story and message, hits home as sometimes I feel like I am searching for answers to something without a question.
The offset lines turned me off right away before I read but the story held my attention, great job.

Sonata
May 9th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I was also hooked by this piece and the centering seemed to make it more mythical. I especially liked the last three lines.

“Do not despair when your key fails for every action brings you closer to truth, for all you seek is to reacquaint yourself
with who you already are, parts of you that you forgot, so like the sculpture hidden within the stone, you chisel away
what you are not”