PDA

View Full Version : Prologue: An Observation of the 21st Century [701 words]

AdamDavidBoe
March 20th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Before you read this, I have absolutely no idea where to put this. The story I am writing after this prologue is fiction, but the prologue is an observation of the world of today. I hope you enjoy!

Prologue
The default setting. We all have it, or have had it at one point. The choice of being something you are naturally not, makes people stay in their default setting. Change the setting slightly and you are different. Some people, like myself, are broken and don’t seem to have a default setting.

Before conclusions are drawn and confusion sets in, a default setting is characterized as: a want for acceptance in society to the degree to change yourself into the person society accepts as average. People immediately jump at the statement of people wanting to be average. People “don’t want to be average”, yet they continuehttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://www.writingforums.com/) the basic outline written into their brains by their parents and other people they see as superior beings.

People have a false perception of what the statements that have been said, mean. Here’s an example. You live your life to achieve goals that seem original and may even be, but the outline you have written over the essay of your life is considered plagiarism. The ideas and thoughts seem original, but a quick look over and originality is far from truth. Examining parts of culture helps explain and create realization of the current “copy and paste” society that exists today.

When the 21st century arrived, teenagers and young adults began to revolutionize the meaning of social media into a lifestyle and a controlling platform that took over the minds of millions (now billions) of people. People used Youtube, Twitter, and Myspace to voice opinions and entertainment that began the generation of originality, but how could/did it go wrong? Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and Instagram all were started to create social interactions and develop original ideas, but how do those ideas affect the generation of today?

People thought the abundance of information and the interactions would help society into becoming a better version of what it was. They thought the creations would revolutionize today’s culture into an “utopian-like” society and help stop differences around the world. These goals weren’t originally in place, but almost the opposing has chosen to take over. The reigning generation is filled with people who choose “originality” over the values taught by past generations. The lifestyle people lived by ten years ago is completely different than what it is now, and the beliefs fluctuate at the click of a button. Today’s culture is original, yet it is ruled by words typed, not spoken

The next generation won’t depict the values that were ‘ruling’ in the last 300 years. This generation is the greatest shift in economic, social, and technological culture that has ever happened in human history. The cultural shift in sex normally only during marriage to the open “friends with benefits” campaign is a small enough change alone to shifting values once held at the highest of standards. The use of social media controls your entire life up until the one hour meet up with a person every couple of days. The history books are forever changed and the thought of books themselves extinct.

The change to an anti-social system of social media from the norm creates many unneeded things throughout society. The use of regular buildings changes to the world with less buildings and even fewer ideas. The world of living changes to the world of zombified, emotional, thumb-moving, obedient citizens who weren’t meant to be created. A world of originality turns to a world of consistent parallel thought.

The question of how so this came to be isn’t important, but the realization more important. Society, as a whole, chooses every day to strive for individualism through the overwhelming need of social interactions and acceptance. Society teaches to socialize and places individualism as the secondary goal, ‘accidentally’. People believe in the power of grouping, not for more viewpoints or selective skills, but because individualism is harder to teach/live and individualism creates ideas.
[End of Prologue]

tmason
March 24th, 2015, 01:08 PM
People have a false perception of what the statements that have been said, mean. Here’s an example. You live your life to achieve goals that seem original and may even be, but the outline you have written over the essay of your life is considered plagiarism. The ideas and thoughts seem original, but a quick look over and originality is far from truth. Examining parts of culture helps explain and create realization of the current “copy and paste” society that exists today.

I like the premise but this is where you lost me.

Your opening hook was great; the problem at least for me is that while you are getting into the depth of what you mean by the "default setting" you lose the language or your "voice" by this paragraph.

So it feels as if someone else took over and made the essay/prologue mundane.

My suggestion is to keep the style you had in the first two paragraphs.

AdamDavidBoe
March 25th, 2015, 04:27 AM
I like the premise but this is where you lost me.

Your opening hook was great; the problem at least for me is that while you are getting into the depth of what you mean by the "default setting" you lose the language or your "voice" by this paragraph.

So it feels as if someone else took over and made the essay/prologue mundane.

My suggestion is to keep the style you had in the first two paragraphs.

I tried to make the opening as a introduction to the true plot. I will revise some of it though. Thanks! -AB.