PDA

View Full Version : "English, dude, English!"

Cran
March 5th, 2015, 06:52 PM
"English, dude, English!" For those who haven't noticed, WritingForums.com is an English language forum.

On occasions, foreign language posts and usernames in character forms other than the common English alphanumeric have visited our boards ... briefly. Thus far, all such visitors have shown themselves to be spammers or trolls. The community at WritingForums.com tolerate neither. Spammers and trolls get banned at the earliest opportunity.

We have had to add the above to Da Rules because too many have failed to notice that WF only communicates in English - names, posts, whatever, we deal in English. Put plainly, if we can't read it, it's in the wrong forum. Is that narrow-minded of us? Possibly, but it's a big virtual world out there, and I'm sure there is somewhere that can read Kanji or Cyrillic and appreciate its full meaning.

"English, dude, English". (Donelly - Transformers movie)

Schrody
March 5th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Aw shucks, now I'll never be able to post my novel on Croatian :lol:

You go Cran, we're holding your back :cool:

mrmustard615
March 5th, 2015, 07:03 PM
I think also we have to keep in mind that few of us have keyboards that can accommodate non-English characters (or at least European characters)

Schrody
March 5th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I think also we have to keep in mine that few of us have keyboards that can accommodate non-English characters (or at least European characters)

You don't need those keys to write in English :mrgreen:

Also, why would we keep that in a mine?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvKl0narhwVCW4rgqpm4_YCJC6puujX o6GqavmZ8mbtzvAahoe

We're not animals, you know.

mrmustard615
March 5th, 2015, 07:11 PM
You don't need those keys to write in English :mrgreen:

Also, why would we keep that in a mine?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvKl0narhwVCW4rgqpm4_YCJC6puujX o6GqavmZ8mbtzvAahoe

We're not animals, you know.

For the record I edited mine to mind http://www.forum.hr/images/smilies/trep.gif

Schrody
March 5th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Yeah, yeah....

Bloggsworth
March 5th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Ciao Cran, come stai...

Sonata
March 6th, 2015, 06:49 AM
"English" English and "American" English are two different languages to me.
But the problem arises as children here are taught American English.

From Grade 1 - whatever that is.

And the "English" teachers are Russian.

am_hammy
March 6th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Way to crack the whip!

They're a sneaky lot, those non-English symbol users. Might as well be telling you that you look like a monkey's uncle and they could say "It means flower of the midnight light" >.>

Sonata
March 6th, 2015, 05:18 PM
My keyboard is dual language
But I cannot write
In the language
That is to me
Somehow
Not right

However - and as a boss of mine used to dictate when I worked during university holidays oh so many years ago, and who thought I needed to know what punctuation went where, and would dictate "however - comma" - once I taught myself the nuances of a computer and discovered ALT characters - the world has been my lobster.

Or something like that.

Schrody
March 6th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Engrish? Me like!

Olly Buckle
March 6th, 2015, 08:00 PM
What! No 'Strine; oh well, c'est la vie.

Sonata
March 6th, 2015, 08:28 PM
What! No 'Strine; oh well, c'est la vie.

Or as it is said
So it goes in my head
It goes in one ear
And out the other eye

אולי

Ignore me please do
I am in a strange mood
But I do not know where
And nor do I care

J Anfinson
March 7th, 2015, 04:24 AM
Way to crack the whip!

They're a sneaky lot, those non-English symbol users. Might as well be telling you that you look like a monkey's uncle and they could say "It means flower of the midnight light" >.>

Obviously there are translation tools available but they're not always correct. I've used Google Translate before and gotten hilarious results.

LeeC
March 7th, 2015, 04:46 AM
I started to reply earlier Jake with a bit in Shoshone and a supposed translation in English to test you, but decided it was not only unfair but inappropriate. I got the better of my impish side :-)

I doubt it's something you will ever run across, as there are likely less than ten thousand Shoshone left, and an even fewer number that have any knowledge of the language.

[The Shoshone language is one of the Uto-Aztecan languages, more specifically in the Central Numic language family, of which there are varying dialects. Moreover, if you see it written you'e seeing a phonetic interpretation as it isn't a true written language.]

Be well friend :-)

am_hammy
March 7th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Obviously there are translation tools available but they're not always correct. I've used Google Translate before and gotten hilarious results.

Ahh, but I'm too lazy to copy and paste. :glee:

J Anfinson
March 7th, 2015, 05:22 AM
I started to reply earlier Jake with a bit in Shoshone and a supposed translation in English to test you, but decided it was not only unfair but inappropriate.

And though Lee will be remembered fondly, his untimely accident weighs heavy on our hearts. ;)

Sass me all you want, Lee. It's usually hard to offend me.

Schrody
March 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM

You got hilarious results? When I translated a text from Croatian to English half of the text was still in the original language and half on English. Now that's funny.

Olly Buckle
March 7th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Joking aside, Cran is right, we should stick to our Gloria Sarah Titch.

Schrody
March 7th, 2015, 11:27 AM
:-k

Bruno Spatola
March 7th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Glorious heritage, haha. Genius.

Sonata
March 7th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Google translate
Is a load of corrupta
So a different translater
I use when I havta

And mostly it's good
But sometimes it's not
Because sometimes it seems
To have
Lost
The
Plot

dither
March 7th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Nice one Sonata.

MHarding53
March 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Beautiful! Although I am Canadian and English is a mother tongue, I have also lived in Quebec. I hope that bursting into Fran-glais, joyal, or that dreadful dialect they speak in the the Lac St. Jean region will not get me booted from this fine forum. Hold on a sec. There's my friend Jean-Claude.

"Hey Jean! Fetch mon jacket from le truck. Le blacque wan! Tanks 'T Cue."

Now, where was I? Oh yea. Canadian - English; still speak the 27,000+ dialects of French. I hope this will be acceptable.

LeeC
March 7th, 2015, 06:31 PM
^ Love it. Many times over the years, listening politely to someone talk, I catch myself paying more attention to how they're expressing themselves, dialects increasing my interest.

I do fondly remember Montreal. On a visit there as a consultant for a U.S. company, the business discussions seemed fairly straight laced. One morning in the hotel was different though, when I asked the waitress for pancakes, over easy eggs, and sausages. She looked at me oddly, but seemed to understand. What she returned with was a surprise, in the pancakes being those little droplets from the side of the grill. When I pointed out that they weren't 'proper' pancakes, she said something in what sounded like French, with the word 'pardon' vaguely recognizable therein. A short while later she returned with a real stack of pancakes, over easy eggs on top, and sausages round about. The meal was good, but I'm still in love with that voice ;-)

MHarding53
March 8th, 2015, 10:47 PM
What a great memory to take away from there. It can be a wonderful experience to encounter a totally insular and different culture like you find in French Canada. There are so many delights to be had there and the food is just the tip of the iceberg. Let me know if you ever plan to return. We will chat.

kellypeace
April 10th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Makes sense. There must be plenty forums in other languages.

Sonata
April 10th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Makes sense. There must be plenty forums in other languages.

Yes but...

...wot if you is a native English speaker wot moved to a different country where dey don't speak English an' you cannot read or write in dere langwage an' dey ain't got de sense of 'umour wot you finds 'ere.

Eh?

Pidgeon84
April 10th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Nuh uh man. This umurica and we speak murican here. I don't need none o' dat fancy pancy English nonsense. Just good ol' fashion regular speak!

JustRob
April 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Apparently I have just posted post #30. What language is that in then because I was never taught about any symbol # in my education in England? I did learn about French accents and German umlauts and double s's, but never this alien thing.

If I renumber it XXX would that be within the rules or are Roman numerals out too?

I think I already questioned what would happen if someone decided to emulate the style of Iain M Banks in his book Feersum Endjinn within this forum. Some people have found the book to be unreadable while others haven't. Personally I enjoyed it.

Of course we're all joking about the subject, but I've noticed that when the English joke other nationalities, even some of those who claim to share our language, don't see the humour.

Thaumiel
April 10th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Nuh uh man. This umurica and we speak murican here. I don't need none o' dat fancy pancy English nonsense. Just good ol' fashion regular speak!

What is this poppycock you're blithering on about?

JustRob
April 10th, 2015, 11:46 AM
What is this poppycock you're blithering on about?

Does this ban on non-English symbols apply to member's names as well? If so Mr. Sword-Axe-Blood may be in trouble even without posting anything.

Sonata
April 10th, 2015, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

mrmustard615
April 10th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Does this ban on non-English symbols apply to member's names as well? If so Mr. Sword-Axe-Blood may be in trouble even without posting anything.

I think as long as having a name we can refer to a member is in it (in this case, James), it would be okay. It's when the name is nothing but symbols is where we get into trouble since we don't have the symbols on our keyboards generally.

Sonata
April 10th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I think as long as having a name we can refer to a member is in it (in this case, James), it would be okay. It's when the name is nothing but symbols is where we get into trouble since we don't have the symbols on our keyboards generally.

I have an English/Hebrew keyboard because my PC is configured for both languages although I only use English. There is a dollar $ sign but no sign as it is classed as an American keyboard, even though each letter key has both English and Hebrew letters. Other signs such as for accents are fairly easily found by using ALT signs and there are no doubt ALT signs for languages that are in symbols, but who wants to keep checking those?

Fair enough - this is an English-language forum and no way would I dream of trying to write in anything but English. Even if I could!

Kevin
April 10th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Uhm... I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I wonder if someone might translate Peaky Blinders for me? Yes, the whole show... (we can pay you in refreshments)

JustRob
April 10th, 2015, 01:57 PM
For those without the necessary keys on their keyboard there are always ways to use the correct Unicode directly. That said, or rather uttered to be legally correct, I did encounter problems with the psychic language of unicorns in this post to Intro Sentences (http://www.writingforums.com/threads/148571-Intro-sentences?p=1828222&viewfull=1#post1828222). Apparently the one purpose for which Unicode isn't ideal is representing that language despite its promising name. However, as ![(ƎԺՁ♀ﺕᾪᵷ)]! is a proper name merely thought and never uttered in the usual sense it is presumably exempt from the language rule ... unless these forums, or fora, have thought police as well. If they do then language is probably the least of our problems.

Sonata
April 10th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Wot he ↑↑↑↑ sed.

J Anfinson
April 10th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I believe Cran had stated somewhere that as long as a translation is provided then other languages can be used at times. English, however, should be be primary.

Sforza
April 21st, 2015, 03:11 PM
Me no speak Americano.

Just kidding.

MzSnowleopard
April 22nd, 2015, 05:28 AM
This is a problem I noticed in dealing with forum communities- so I did some investigating. What I learned is that typically- the language is determined by the site owner or admin team. If they choose to use English then the board is English.

Forget the alligator etouffee

-Thanks Cran! Now, I've gotta watch Transformers again! LOL

tdelozier
April 24th, 2015, 03:48 AM
Thank you!!!!! So glad I don't have to copy and paste anything to Google translator. :)

Olly Buckle
April 24th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you!!!!! So glad I don't have to copy and paste anything to Google translator. :) There is not a lot of point anyway. I have a Japanese friend on facebook and every so often I try it with one of his posts, purely for the amusement, it gives total nonsense.

walker
June 4th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Keyboard configurations can be changed, at least on my system. I just tell the computer what keyboard I want it to use, like Spanish, and it will switch. The keyboard itself is not hardwired to output English. The signals the keyboard produces can be mapped to other languages. I just tried Armenian, which I know nothing about, and got lots of cool symbols out of my keyboard.

Olly Buckle
June 4th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Don't post them here will you :) I see you are a recent comer, welcome to the site.

walker
June 4th, 2015, 11:20 PM
No idea what they meant. But, they would have worked in a Da Vinci Code-type story. They had that mysterious, deep hidden meaning look. Thanks for the welcome!

passtheremote
June 12th, 2015, 11:17 PM
with google translator, its not as bad now as it used to be with non-english languages, but its totally unfair to expect other members to go to the hassle of going and doing this, I mean, as said your in a place where everything is in english so why speak another language

Enaragon
November 24th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Oh no, and here I was hoping I could have my username in Chinese.

LeX_Domina
April 3rd, 2016, 12:28 AM
So I can use the queen's english,yea?

it'd be damn petty and a bloody shame if I couldn't

Hairball
April 4th, 2016, 01:23 PM
You folks are lucky! I was teased one time by a phone friend who said, "That's funny, you don't type with a southern accent."

I admire anyone who tries to take on English as a second language. English can be a bugger at times, and totally confusing. It's pretty dang hard!

midnightpoet
April 4th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Ha, I don't type with a Texan accent either, but I probably use words and phrases sometimes only a Texan would be likely to use. That is, sometimes my heritage comes forth in my writing.:-D

Yeah, English can be a real challenge for someone not brought up with it.

MzSnowleopard
April 5th, 2016, 01:34 AM
I'm with ya midnight, being from the South sometimes I don't even think about it when I type in y'all for you all. Drives some of my online buds bonkers.

Cran
April 5th, 2016, 01:47 AM
As has been mentioned, English is hard enough to master for natives, let alone ESL-writers.

A great deal of our learning here on the forum is about the regional variations in spelling, grammar, pronunciation and accents, and punctuation. I'm one of the lucky ones: always topped my class in English, and ranked in the top 1.2% of the English-speaking population, but I still have to check words, uses, and regional variations.

I have nothing but admiration for those who can master two or more languages, but for this forum, one language is enough to deal with, and that one language is English in all of its varied expressions.

J Anfinson
April 5th, 2016, 02:48 AM
So posting in Wookie isn't allowed?

Cran
April 5th, 2016, 03:04 AM
No, not without an accredited translation.

Reichelina
April 5th, 2016, 03:47 AM

I had to ask BFF Google what Wookie is. Facepalm.

MzSnowleopard
April 5th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Here's a thought, would it help if people added a tag to the first part of a post containing story / poetry content like this

"US English" for those who write American English

and

"BR English" for those who write British English

Just a thought

Sam
April 5th, 2016, 12:43 PM
I understand the sentiment, but they're both the same language. The only difference is pronunciation and spelling.

Have you ever read a book by an American author and needed a disclaimer to say that it was written in U.S. English, or vice versa?

Bishop
April 5th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I understand the sentiment, but they're both the same language. The only difference is pronunciation and spelling.

Have you ever read a book by an American author and needed a disclaimer to say that it was written in U.S. English, or vice versa?

But... but... English English smells like tea and old buildings...

And last I checked my watch, I speak 'MERICAN.

aj47
April 5th, 2016, 05:18 PM
dayum -- they're both furrin.

Cran
April 5th, 2016, 10:48 PM
dayum -- they're both furrin.
You're right. The only true English is Strine.

Olly Buckle
April 5th, 2016, 11:43 PM
You're right. The only true English is Strine.

That will be what the queen, guardian of our Gloria Sarah Titch, speaks then?

Cran
April 5th, 2016, 11:59 PM
That will be what the queen, guardian of our Gloria Sarah Titch, speaks then?
Ah, well, the Queen has to be above all this quibbling over how to pronounce tomato. She wears many crowns - although not as many as she once did - and has translators for all those foreign ways of speech, like Scottish, Cockney, Kiwi, Rasta, Canuck, or yes, Strine. Still, she does know that, "G'die mite! 'Ow they hangin'?" is a greeting and not a curse or inquiry of capital punishment.

MzSnowleopard
April 6th, 2016, 03:32 AM

Since I'm an American, that's the only English I read. My point is to get people to stop bringing it up. What I mean by this is - for example- with my own pieces, several people felt it necessary to tell that they had to do a comparison, that it was time consuming- first using the British spellcheck, then the US spellcheck. Some of these people just out right altered the words (another site, now defunct) to British spelling- then proceeded to chastise me for my misspelling and not using spellcheck. it didn't matter to them that I explained that I was using the US spelling, and HAD used spellcheck- as far as they were concerned I was wrong. (hence why I'm not on that site anymore- and last I heard it was dead.)

So rather than have repeats of this behavior, it seems to me that it's just easier to make people aware of which version of English is being used. It would save a lot of arguments and offenses.

J Anfinson
April 6th, 2016, 05:27 AM
Or you could let them show the internet at large how ignorant they are and smile.

MzSnowleopard
April 6th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Tried that, they got nasty. The reasons why that forum failed are rather obvious.

JustRob
April 9th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Really? Within this forum it has been apparent to me that wrong advice about grammar has certainly been given in the SPAG section by people from the opposite side of the pond. This is why I advocated a means of identifying a member's preferred regional style in their profile. A person indoctrinated in one variety of English must be cautious in advising another who employs a different variety just as the advised person must be aware of the source of the advice. There may well be no such thing as universally "good" English.

There may be a median version of the language, but across the pond some might think that that would have something to do with the space in the middle of a motorway, which they would describe as a freeway, while on this side of the pond there are roads designated as the latter which have no central reservation, which in itself might be regarded by others back across the water as a homeland for native Americans who probably never specifically wanted to speak any form of English at all, No. it's not just about pronunciation and spelling. I can brook no truck with that. Of course in Oz there's no problem with medians because any route by which a truck can avoid ending up in a seasonal brook is deemed to be a road of some sort.

I heard recently on the TV that the French are upset that their language is no longer considered to be a front runner internationally, the big three now being English, Spanish and Chinese globally, although all of these have regional variations. Tant pis. The French shouldn't have made so much of an effort to keep their language pure. In contrast we English speakers are happy to plagiarise every other language. Even my specific use of the word "truck" above derives from a French word. When that great representative of the American people George W said that the French didn't have a word for entrepreneur he was right in a way because we English speakers had already stolen it. In fact our language is itself an entrepreneur in a way, filling a perceived need in the world. Keeping a language pure serves a very different purpose.

We could correspond more on this subject beyond this forum if I gave you my email address, but it happens to be in Latin and providing an English translation wouldn't help much there. Anyway, despite the best efforts of my schoolteachers I never did grasp much of an understanding of that language, so it seems odd that I chose to use it for my address and website name. Everything on that website is alien to me though, even though I wrote all of it. I am not the sort of person to write a science fiction novel nor delve into quantum theory, psychology and neuroscience, nor speculate about the paranormal and yet there it is, but at least it's all in reasonably good English.

Ultraroel
April 11th, 2016, 11:16 AM
So. I get the english part.
I just don't get why you would enforce the usage of English names.. what harm can be done?

Cran
April 11th, 2016, 12:45 PM
So. I get the english part.
I just don't get why you would enforce the usage of English names.. what harm can be done?
How would you address a member who originally had the username: 剣 斧 血 ?

And if we allow one, what happens when we have a hundred in non-English symbols or alphabets?

Phil Istine
April 11th, 2016, 12:47 PM

Probably as ****

Ultraroel
April 11th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I think you can just state that Latin is the alphabet used and that we expect people to use that.

If I wanted to call myself: Dikkenerdpuist, what problem would it be to you.

Anyway.. i just don't really see the problem, but I'm not a policy writer

MzSnowleopard
April 11th, 2016, 04:41 PM
It's like JustRob said: Within this forum it has been apparent to me that wrong advice about grammar has certainly been given in the SPAG section by people from the opposite side of the pond.

There are Americans correcting Brits and Brits correcting Americans based on their respective versions of English. This is a problem. The best solution is to have some type of means to identify which version of English the writer is using.

Placing it on the profile page might not work simply because some people don't go to the profile while others merely glance over them. My idea, on the other hand, places the notice right at the beginning of a post with story content. Another idea is a variation of JustBob's idea- by placing the indicator in the signature line. The downside is that same with the profile- how many people can say that they even look at the signature lines?

Olly Buckle
April 11th, 2016, 09:25 PM
The best solution is to have some type of means to identify which version of English the writer is using.
The best solution in that case would seem to be that both respondents offer the common courtesy of identifying their area of knowledge. It is no big thing to admit there are limits to one's knowledge, but some are reluctant.

Sleepwriter
April 12th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Unless the goal is to have feedback provided by like countrymen/women, I don't know what good the indications will do. As for the SPAG issues, since we use volunteer judges, is that not the price we pay?

Cran
April 12th, 2016, 02:55 PM
If I wanted to call myself: Dikkenerdpuist, what problem would it be to you.
None at all. We won't have any problem calling you Dikk.

Another idea is a variation of JustBob's idea- by placing the indicator in the signature line. The downside is that same with the profile- how many people can say that they even look at the signature lines?
Quite a lot, I believe. That's actually a good idea if people want to do that. Whether it means anything to critters or judges who don't understand what it means to SPaG differences is another question.

Unless the goal is to have feedback provided by like countrymen/women, I don't know what good the indications will do. As for the SPAG issues, since we use volunteer judges, is that not the price we pay?
Yes, although that does not make it right or fair.

Sleepwriter
April 12th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Yes, although that does not make it right or fair.

Agreed. So really it comes down to the volunteers learning and/or accepting the differences, would it not?

Cran
April 13th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Agreed. So really it comes down to the volunteers learning and/or accepting the differences, would it not?
That would be preferred, yes.

It would be difficult to implement as a requirement given the dearth of volunteer judges for the various challenges. Astro and I have discussed and offered a potential solution to prevent or remedy such objective errors from judges' comments in challenges. We've yet to see if it will be taken up or if it will work.

Phil Istine
April 13th, 2016, 01:19 AM
One instance of this recently concerned pronunciation differences. I'm having to re-write most of a stanza in a poem as the pronunciation difference would have thrown the rhyme scheme totally off. I felt a bit aggrieved initially because I seemed to have the perfect word to slot in, but it would only have worked if read by a user of British English.

Hairball
April 14th, 2016, 07:38 AM
One instance of this recently concerned pronunciation differences. I'm having to re-write most of a stanza in a poem as the pronunciation difference would have thrown the rhyme scheme totally off. I felt a bit aggrieved initially because I seemed to have the perfect word to slot in, but it would only have worked if read by a user of British English.

Oh wow, that has to be difficult.

Wait, listen to this. "December" isn't exactly perfect in this song, but it works really well on its own, see?

I don't think poetry and pronunciation has to be perfect to make the point, but I'm no poet.

See what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKY-smJ6aBQ

midnightpoet
April 14th, 2016, 01:44 PM
As a judge, I try to be aware of differences in SPAG issues from country to country; of course, I've done research on the subject through study of the history of the English language. This is probably one of the reasons I concentrate on story more than SPAG. Also, usually I'm aware where people are from from their posts if nothing else - and I do check out signature lines. I do recall what Shakespeare considered a rhyme may not be one today.

JustRob
April 14th, 2016, 02:25 PM

I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh could answer that, but he might get banned in the process.

By the way, does the inclusion of an American slang word in the title imply any criticism of their specific version of the language? Perhaps a more neutral remark would have been better, or is the word commonly used in Australia as well?

Cran
April 14th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh could answer that, but he might get banned in the process.

By the way, does the inclusion of an American slang word in the title imply any criticism of their specific version of the language? Perhaps a more neutral remark would have been better, or is the word commonly used in Australia as well?
It is well known here in Oz. And no, there was nothing implied. It was simply a well known quote from a recent movie.

Sonata
April 14th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Strange - when I put 剣 斧 血 in my translation program as "Auto Detect" it said it was Japanese. So I put it in again as "Chinese", and they both came up with the same translation.

It is definitely Chinese though because if it was Japanese the translation from the English would be ソードアックスブラッド

Cran
April 15th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Strange - when I put 剣 斧 血 in my translation program as "Auto Detect" it said it was Japanese. So I put it in again as "Chinese", and they both came up with the same translation.

It is definitely Chinese though because if it was Japanese the translation from the English would be ソードアックスブラッド
Not surprising. When I studied Japanese (so long ago it doesn't matter), we learned that Chinese characters were often used in Japanese writings. Part of that is, as we can see here, the economy of space required to convey the same message.

Hairball
April 15th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Right, so true. But I think maybe, perhaps, reading writes here we shouldn't need a translator, right? Or if I am wrong, I've found one and I'll be more than happy to use it and if need be, it's there.

Trilby
April 16th, 2016, 08:07 AM
The devil in me says -

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht

MzSnowleopard
April 16th, 2016, 06:48 PM
The devil in me says -

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht

And I would need a translator for this ;-) does cht = ght ?

Trilby
April 16th, 2016, 08:03 PM
And I would need a translator for this ;-) does cht = ght ?

It's a great/good moonlight night tonight - Scottish

Lang may y' lum reek, MzSnowleopard.

MzSnowleopard
April 16th, 2016, 11:45 PM
It's a great/good moonlight night tonight - Scottish

Lang may y' lum reek, MzSnowleopard.

Not a clue what that says lol

Sonata
April 17th, 2016, 08:56 AM
It is a Scottish Hogmany greeting, implying "May you never be without fuel for your fire!", but more literally translates to "Long may your chimney smoke!"

Cran
April 18th, 2016, 01:41 AM
Right, so true. But I think maybe, perhaps, reading writes here we shouldn't need a translator, right?
Yes. The idea is that we, as readers and writers of English, shouldn't need to find translators for posts.* It doesn't matter that we have members who are bi-lingual multi-lingual. What matters is that this is an English-language forum.

*Of course, given the variety of English dialects and usages, translators might still be necessary ... from time to time.

Sonata
April 19th, 2016, 06:50 AM
There is another minor problem between English English and American English, and that refers to what we are taught. Being originally from England I was taught about English/UK poets and authors in what was called English Literature before I went to college to study the sciences and medicine. Therefore I have no knowledge of American poets/authors unless they were well enough known in the UK to have been included.