PDA

View Full Version : Getting an Editor?

MamaStrong
January 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM
** I deeply apologize if this isn't where this belongs. I searched the forum before I decided to post here. Please move if needed with my deepest apologies.**

I currently have two full length novels that besides doing a quick once through edit myself, are ready to begin the finding an editor/publisher process. Has anyone hired an editor? Any insight on how to go about finding one? Is that where the query letters and such comes in to play or are those for publishers?

I still have a lot of learning to do in terms of going to selling route. I plan to look through this forum more as well.

Thank you for your advice.

tabasco5
January 20th, 2015, 01:33 AM
An editor helps to improve the story, the publisher publishes it. Query letters and such are for the publisher when you are trying to sell, unless the editor is/works for the publisher.

I would recommend googling editors in your area and meet a few of them in person to discuss what you are trying to accomplish. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

NineShadowEyes
February 4th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Wow. Seriously? I would have expected a lot more replies to a question like this.

I'm in the same boat - just starting to look for an editor.

MamaStrong
February 4th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I found one that said the average is $5 per page....is this the norm? Because an 84 page word document (which is what format mine is in right now) is $420.00.....*gasp*

TKent
February 4th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Hey Mammastrong,

Are you going to first try the traditional publishing route? If so, then you should do everything in your power to get your manuscript in tip top shape, Google some info on composing and sending a query to agents/publishers, then do some research on which ones are looking for your genre and start the process. If a traditional publisher ends up accepting it, they would provide editors.

If you are going the self-publishing route, then you would be wise to go through the same steps a publisher would in order to produce a quality book. That means finding and hiring editors (and there are more than one type of editor) finding beta readers, and professional cover makers, etc.

And you may even decide that you want to put the cleanest manuscript forward to a traditional publisher and hire an editor to do a pass on your work and make those changes before submitting.

So it is never a black and white answer.

If you are looking for editing services, Bernadette Geyer was interviewed recently and you can find that interview and visit her website. I've used her and she is very good.

Also, Hugh Howey's website has a place where he lists the various editors and cover designers he uses for his books. I also suggest you read his interview as well because he has some great info on self-publishing in general.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way.

Pluralized
February 4th, 2015, 10:04 PM
84 pages probably would take a qualified editor 10 hours (guessing) to do a thorough job. Just playing devil's advocate here, but $42/hr for a freelance service is not all that crazy when you factor in the costs and expenses of being your own enterprise.

There are a few freelance editors on the forums - maybe one of them will chime in with some real numbers. I'd say $5/page for a pro to review and edit your work is reasonable, if you've polished it up as much as you can and are getting it ready to go for traditional manuscript submission to a publisher.

Just my ignorant thoughts - would be interesting to hear from Gargh, or someone with first-hand experience as a freelance editor.

PiP
February 4th, 2015, 10:06 PM
There was also some discussion in Writers Resources.
http://www.writingforums.com/threads/144449-Effective-avenues-for-editing-services

TKent
February 4th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Even that depends on what type of editing you are looking for. On the one end, you can get an editor to look at your manuscript and offer substantive changes (identifying issues with plot, structure, voice, etc.), on the other end a basic copy-editor would be looking for spelling, grammar, punctuation, incorrect word usage, etc. I do suggest that you contact Bernadette. If this is the price they are charging for copy-editing, she is much more reasonable. You have to realize though that it takes a great deal of time for someone to properly edit your work. So it will cost something for sure. Another option if you are going to submit to traditional publisher, is to just get the 1st chapter or first ten pages copy-edited as often that's what you'll be asked to send first so you'd be putting your very best foot forward. [*Disclaimer - I have never actually submitted a novel to a publisher or agent - this is just stuff I've read.]

I found one that said the average is $5 per page....is this the norm? Because an 84 page word document (which is what format mine is in right now) is $420.00.....*gasp*

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for popping this one up NineShadowEyes. I think, like me, it may have just disappeared too quickly in the activity stream :) There is so much activity here, which is a great thing, but sometimes stuff gets lost due to the sheer volume.

Wow. Seriously? I would have expected a lot more replies to a question like this.

I'm in the same boat - just starting to look for an editor.

krishan
February 5th, 2015, 02:50 PM
As a very approximate guide, the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/mship/minimum_rates.asp) suggests 22.00/hour as a reasonable minimum for proofreading and 25.70 for copy-editing. This page (http://www.societyofauthors.org/rates-and-guidelines) on the Society of Authors website is also quite helpful; it has links to variety of resources that might help you determine how much a writing-related service should cost.