PDA

View Full Version : Cuffs for Nikola

gokedik
November 17th, 2014, 06:43 PM
An open laptop, a pile of textbooks and a cup of coffee accompanied him as he sat in the back alley of a nursing home, everyday. He sat at a rickety, white, steel grate table, smoking cigarettes, passed out every couple hours. Nobody knew what he was studying and he made it very clear that he didn’t really have time for talk. He was busy breaking into the virtual back-doors of corporations that angered him, rearranging numbers, just to amuse himself. He would be cordial to a newcomer, if they presented themselves with respect and would mirror it back to them.That’s what he did when he met Johnny. He appeared to know something of what Gus was studying. They got on like old war buddies.

At the revolving door nursing home, Gus has seen them come and go, in one way or the other, for nearly seven years now and had never met anyone that interested him. He hid in his laptop and books because he couldn’t bare to look up and see someone, seemingly clinging to life, with a cigarette dangling from their mouth, again. But Johnny changed that for him. A vibrant mind, he had, and as Gus would discover, he would be of help with Gus’s project. And, when not working, they would discuss how they both abhor the American government, or corporation, as they sometimes referred to it.

What occupied the majority of their time was the innovations and inventions of an often overlooked genius name Nikola Tesla. His humble contributions to society are still being deciphered today. Edison took all the credit for lighting the world when it is Tesla’s Alternating Current that is in use. The “current wars” where direct current (Edison’s profitable blueprint) was pitted against alternate current (Tesla’s design) and was definitively won by Tesla, but he is not in History books. It was a money thing, of no surprise, considering whom the players were, Carnegie, Edison, Goldwater, JP Morgan and even Ford would have been ruined by Tesla’s ingenious mind. He was the brains behind the thieving rich. Edison was a business man and not an inventor. Figuring out how to sell electricity, in the form a bulbs.

Gus was enthralled with engineering and he had found a well inside the mind of Nikola Tesla. But it didn’t seem that his memory was being very well preserved. Stymied every way he looked for answers by a reluctant government, particularly the FBI, whom were effectively hiding, world revolutionizing inventions and a solution for a country with a boundless appetite for energy, but the United States would need to maintain control of his work. Gus knew the nature of the US government and all he kept finding were documents with blacked-out lines and blacked-out whole paragraphs. Which is common of the government with “classified” subjects. But after nearly 80 years, one would figure a “declassification” was in order. But it wasn’t. A terrorist act of monumental proportion that the country, or any other, for that matter, has never seen before was declared “declassified” but not the inventions of a humble, transcendental man. Gus knew something was amiss and, being America, he assumed it was money.

Johnny knew an inordinate amount about Tesla and sparked Gus’ interest. Gus wanted to shine some light, publicly, on Tesla’s suppressed work. But that would mean removing the black from the blacked-out portions of FBI confiscated, at the time of death, documents. That is no small task.
America recognized the genius of Tesla, when he died, but they were practically obligated to, having a Noble Prize taken by a Guglielmo Marconi, whom Carnegie and Edison invested in. To which the humble Nikola responded, “Marconi is a good fellow. Let him continue. He is using seventeen of my patents.” Not angry he got cheated out of the greatest prize science has to offer, which he deserved. That played to the type of man he was. A spiritual, scientific genius. Having modest beginnings in Croatia, he wanted not of the wealth, pride and fame that contests created. He was consumed by his work. The growth of electricity, safely, around the globe. Edison may have have capitalized on others designs and “invented” the light bulb, if you want to go by the “History” books, but Tesla created a safer way for it to become electrified. Yet he garners no mention, anywhere, unless it is sought out.

“Tesla needs to see the light of day” Gus said. “And get the recognition he deserves.”
“Yeah, he’s accomplished some amazing work” Johnny said.
“Say, how do you know so much?” Gus asked.
“Well, truth be known, my father was an FBI agent and worked to suppress his work.”Johnny said.
“No kidding?” Gus asked.
“No, and I have some information that you’d do back-flips for.” Johnny said.
“Yeah!” Gus was excited. “So...”
“I know the FBI’s file number for Tesla.” Johnny said.
“And where might it be?” Gus asked. “I can get into web sites through the back door.”
“That’s what it will take because they aren’t giving that away, but the FBI web site has a decent firewall, I’m sure.”Johnny said.
“Don’t worry about that, I have my ways.” Gus replied.

So, the secret was out, what Gus’ project was. Johnny and Gus started scheming for ways to get the info. and what to do with it. Who to call, how to get the ammunition to them and how to not get caught. This would be a dangerous undertaking and they would need help. To reveal the life changing, world saving inventions of a genius. They would have to enlist some help. They would need a secure wifi signal and their was one at the nursing home but Gus did not have the password, but he had a particularly good relationship with the maintenance man and he knew the buildings secrets having worked there for twenty years.

The drone of life in the nursing home carried on. Mornings consisted of waking up to sheet-metal boxes carrying plates with a meager breakfast barreling down the uneven tile floors, a morning reveille, of sorts. That woke most, whom experienced a knee-jerk reaction fearing another earthquake. Only to remember where they were and whom is “caring" for them. Gus was always ready to get another day started, preempting the sheet-metal shaker, stealing a cup of coffee from the cook, whom he also had bonded. He attracted those not treated with adequate value, feeling an abbreviated sense of inferiority, himself. Then he gets his laptop set upon the empty patio and lugs his pile of reference books to “his” rickety table.
“It’s voting day, are you registered?” Johnny chuckled walking out the door to the patio.

“Oh! I didn’t see you there...I’m voting by not voting.” Gus said. “There’s a quote by Lincoln about turning your back to the fire and having to live with blisters on your butt. I realize that but when every choice feels crooked, staying out, seems right, to me, that is.”
“I hear and understand your point but voting is the only hand we have in this corrupt game and if I hadn’t just got there, I’d be voting.” Johnny said.
“I know and have been told many times but I didn’t want to registered here because I
didn’t expect to be here this long.” Gus said, then paused with a silent sigh.
“Hey, show me how you get in the back door.” Johnny said.
“Oh! you want to see me work? Well, I can’t show you everything but I’ll let you watch the screen.” Gus said. Johnny pulled up a chair, Gus is in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury.
“Alright,” Johnny said as he made himself comfortable at the table. And Gus used the relative little skill he had and with a hand-full of keystrokes got into Bank of America. They saw the employee list, reviews and, of course, the money.

“And that was easy. America is doing a shoddy job of protecting our money.” Gus said. “I find that curious, they’re just lucky I’m not about money...but I could change. I think they are trying to populate prisons, if you ask me. Prison’s are run by for-profit corporations. We are allowing many to profit off the misery of other’s, including the wrongly accused, charged, sentenced and some, executed. If someone dies over a mistake, I believe that the system must be dismantled”

You have a valid point but I’m not here to argue the justice system, I believe we had an agenda...and wouldn’t they know who breached their security from your IP address?" Johnny asked.

“Excuse me...not necessarily whom, but definitely where. Triangulating is not new technology, they’ll be on this place [the nursing home] like white on rice." Gus answered. “As long as the signal is not in your name and you are piggy-backing, they’ll have a chase on their hands...but they are always up for a fugitive hunt.”

“So you think you can break into the FBI?” Johnny said.

“If that’s where his work is, I will find a way.” Gus answered confidently. “I can be more insidious than the FBI” Gus laughed, “And I know people with certain talents.”

“You’ll have to, because they practically wrote the book on keeping secrets, but if you get in, I can guide you from there.” Johnny said.
“Then we need that secure signal. I think I can get it from the maintenance guy.”

Other patients filed onto the patio for smoke break. Gus and Johnny quieted their conversation. And smoked, ignoring the others. Soon enough they were gone. A nosy nurses assistant butted his head in their business.

“Whatch’a gentlemen up to, plotting a take-over.” he laughed.

“Yes we are gentlemen and as a matter of fact, we are...of this place.” Gus boldly jested.

Laughing, “OK you guys have fun, huh?” and he left, into oblivion.

“They all think they are running things, when all they run is their mouths.” Gus said
“I hacked into their system, it’s not even secured. I wonder what’s on the secured signal,
that we will absolutely need, going at the FBI, but I’ll take care of that.”

“Have some friends, do ya’?” Johny said.

“Yeah, I’m small time, there are ways to make yourself invisible...but that’s just a rumor on the circuit.” Gus said, “Hey...you could be a mole from the Feds...maybe I should shut up. No, seriously, I’ve been studying Tesla for years and have run into roadblock after roadblock. Pages missing from schematics and a whole lot more.”

“I became an engineer because of Nikola.” Johnny said, the elder of the pair.

“No kidding? Create anything interesting? Gus asked.

“I repaired a Frank Lloyd Wright house. Built an airport in Dubai and...How’s that?”

“Nice...Nice.” Gus said. “I’ve had this spinal cord injury for ten years...that’s a lot of time sitting on your butt so I bought a laptop and began researching what my heart desired and engineering always amazed me. The industrial revolution fascinated me also, the players, that is. When the disease of capitalism thrived to such a degree that would make Adam Smith[author of, An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, and 18th-century Scottish philosopher and political economist] roll-over in his grave. Hence, we have people, such as, Tesla getting the short end of a very long stick. And America was so ignorant that they started teaching a history, that somehow seemed purchased, because it was totally wrong.”

“How’d you damage your spine?”Johnny asked.

“Ohhh...a drunk driver running a light.” Gus began after belching a sigh making obvious the times he’s told the story, “T-boned me, and that’s all I remember. I was later told that I spun, hit the curb and flipped over. That’s how the paramedic found me. The most painful part is being told you’re never going to walk again. Flesh heals, after a while, but being minimalized by an injury you couldn’t have prevented? That lasts forever. But with counseling can be overcome. Ya’ know they assumed I would get depressed so the doctor [in the hospital] ordered anti-depressant pills. Issuing psychotropic medication on an assumption...c’mon, we’re not all sheep, there are some wolf’s mixed in. And this doctor found a wolf in patients clothing.”

Chuckling, “You sure are a wolf!” Johnny said. “A bit high-strung, but a wolf nonetheless.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Gus said. “Don’t talk to very many people. Never have. Not since my crash, I don’t believe that there are any accidents in life. God, the almighty creator, whatever you want to call the Creator of creators, The Artist of artists, wants me on my ass, apparently. And I wasn’t about to just sit here, stagnant.”
“What about you?” Gus asked.

“What?” Johnny said.

“What brings you to this fabulous establishment.” Gus asked.

Chuckling, “I had a mild heart attack, my third. It’s kinda’ think the reason I want to give you what I have about Tesla. I don’t know how mild the next will be.” Johnny said. “And the doctor warned me to stop smoking, but I’m sure you know how hard that is.

“It’s lunch time!” A voice said from the open, then shut, patio door. Gus and Johnny turned their heads to look at each other...contemplating what to do. They, simultaneously, put their heads down, one in a laptop, and another in a book. They started meeting every morning, on the patio, enlisting the help of the janitor, Jerome, for the signal, a head nurse for info. on the owner of that signal and the suppression of their charts when needed. Because no signal is truly secure when the FBI is involved. And they would seek out the owner of the signal, first. But a secured signal prevents civilians from tampering with their “project”. They had to”butter-up” the nurse for a while before asking, but she relented, in the end. Her name was Betsy.

Gus got into the FBI’s web site with some help via phone.

“We’re in!” Gus exclaimed. “Thanks Mark, I owe you one...OK. Bye.” And put down the cell phone.

“Wow, I am impressed. OK...find historical files.” Johnny said

“OK, gimme a sec...OK, I’m there.” Gus said.

“OK...the number is A5918C130-7.” Johnny said with involuntary trepidation.

“OK, just to check, the number is A-5-9-1-8-C-1-3-0-7?” Gus asked.

“Yep, you got it...that’s a secret I’ve not told a soul, but it needs to come out.” Johnny said.

“I am honored to help you.” Gus said.

“Did Betsy hook you up with a printer?” Johnny asked.

“Yep, I’m on it..."Never seen” schematics, will be in our hands in minutes, alright, log off. I’m gone!” Gus said.

“And a scanner?” Johnny asked.

“Yeah, we’re all in on this.” Gus said with confidence, catching his breath, having just breached an arm of the American government hailed for their investigative skills. But not hiding what they find like the NSA [National Security Association]. “Find the right person and we can get the documents to them, post haste, but only the right person. I know we’ve spoken about it, before, but we need to double and triple check the person. They [FBI] will know that someone stole something, but not necessarily what. All the guard is catching is the back-door, hopefully. They’ll have been hit by a Mac truck and after they sit up will only by able to get my IP address. You’d think that being the F. friggin’ B.I., they would have a better cyber security, but they
don’t.”

“So, when do the men in black come?” Johnny asked.

“That, I do not know, but Betsy has been instructed to hide our charts if anyone funny comes in. So, when they do come, which they will, we won’t exist..” Gus answered.

“I know someone from the Al-Jazeera network that I have an ongoing conversation with. I hesitate to call him a friend but only because I haven’t had dinner with him, yet.” Johnny chuckled, “but I do trust him, it’s a relationship I cultivated for this very moment.”

“So, if everything goes as planned, they will know that someone in the building hacked them but not whom in particular.” Gus said, “ and my laptop will be clean by then. Betsy and I have been growing close through our caper.”

“Well, don’t get too close, the Federal Penitentiary could be around the corner.” Johnny said.

“What?!...Don’t do that, I’m worried already. Nothing would draw them to our names, like warrants, right?” Gus asked.

“No, definitely not.” Johnny said.

“Good I just took care of mine, it was for cyber crime...was looking at ten years Federal time.” Gus said.

“Holy crap, man! They’ll be looking for you.” Johnny exclaimed.

“I know, that’s why I got so close to Betsy, not to mention that she has quite the figure,piercing green eyes, and is a genuinely good woman.” Gus replied,

“This was worth putting my neck out...again.” Gus said.

“I agree to that but you could’ve said something. I should have known.” Johnny said.

“OK...I apologize, don’t worry, if anyone goes down, it will be me, I’ll own it.” Gus admitted.

“You better, I don’t want to die in prison.” Johnny said.

“You won’t, and neither will I. Betsy will look out for us. Especially since she revealed some thing to me about the building that could get it shut down. I’m a liability to her. Shyster I am not though I do have tendencies. She’s a smart lady. Tomorrow we should stay in our rooms, though, just in case they’re pushy, and it wouldn’t surprise me.” Gus said. “Feds are Feds, they get their man and NOBODY does them wrong. But they do people wrong all day. Tesla needs to see the light of day and if I have to do time for it, I will gladly.”

“Wow, OK, that’s some dedication you have, Mister.” Johnny said.

“My sense of justice is exaggerated from a childhood experience.” Gus explained. “And continued to cause me problems as an adult. I got into trouble hacking into a corporate web site then changing all their pay to minimum wage. Receptionist to CEO. They were not amused. I wasn’t alone but would not give up my friend, so they added time. I thanked the judge, he added a year for THAT. That friend that I was protecting baled me out. I don’t know, how but he did it. If I live here and maintain no assets they can’t tax me, ‘til my court date next month.”

“Sounds very complicated and dangerous. I don’t play with the law because it seems that once they know your name, you’re always going back or pulled over and hauled off to jail...not my scene.” Johnny said.

“Nobody wants problems with the law and I don’t have beef with police, I have beef with the FBI. And them, me. It is a symbiotic relationship.” Gus said. “Alright, we better retreat back to our rooms and I’ll bury my laptop under my pillow and lay down for a couple days.”

“Alright, you gonna come out to puff.” Johnny asked.

“Oh, crap, of course.” Gus said.

“OK, see you then.” and Johnny got up from the table and went in for lunch.

Gus was alone, with his crime and his mind. The crime of knowledge. Such a shame, he thought, they should just hire him. But they’d rather chase him. That’s was fine, Gus was quick on his wheelchair, and laptop. Here one second, gone the next. He had enough reading material for his down time. FBI secret files about free, never ending energy gathered from our atmosphere and anti-gravity space vehicles. He’s known as General Gustard in cyber space. Being elusive is what he’s known for, getting in deep and disappearing. His friend was Echo, whom baled him out, he’s actually met and have a friendship in reality. They know when someone has, so much as, looked at their signal, much less encroached upon it. They are wireless on foot, but they aren’t reckless, just playful. It’s all in good fun and competition. “They” don’t always lose. Some fire-walls ARE impenetrable. Just not the FBI’s apparently. Cyber crimes are federal, so, the Feds area already on him. If he gets caught breaking into THEIR system, he’ll go down without a trial. He cares not.

Coming back in from having a cigarette Johnny gave Gus his friend from Al-Jazeera’s email address and said to send it immediately. He saw a man in black walk past his door. Gus saw them to but didn’t want to scare Johnny. Johnny was thinking that if Gus goes down they still need to get the job done. He had nothing to worry about. Gus would be the sacrificial lamb for Tesla. This was that important to him. And Johnny.

The FBI thought that this would be easier and had never had to interrogate the elderly before and didn’t. After a confusing walk through they left. With their obvious ear piece and sunglasses. You never see the CIA. They look like you.

They met up after two days in the room, only had one run-in with the Feds. But, now, you never know, every new person will be looked at with suspicion. They had gotten away with it. This was the greatest day of Gus’ life.

“We did it man!” Gus holds his hand out to shake and Johnny grabs it gladly.

“Now I can die!” Johnny said.

“Don’t say that, the mind is strong and it will manifest.” Gus said. “Betsy and I are on as can be.”

“Glad to hear it” Johnny said.

Betsy started acting funny, not herself, but Gus excused it because he really had feelings for her. But the next morning Gus found out what was up when the Feds rushed him at five in the morning, in bed, completely surprised. Johnny heard commotion and ran.

They made eye contact and Gus was stoic, not showing a drop of remorse. Johnny had mixed emotions, his new friend was going to prison, for a long time, but Tesla’s secret FBI file will be revealed. He was proud of that.

Betsy got caught hiding files when the Feds ran through and gave up Gus, to save her own pretty ass from prison. Gus didn’t mind, even saying on his way out to Betsy, whom was cowering behind a counter, “You’re still my girl, I understand. No worries.” And being that early the morning paper arrived with the headline, “Tesla’s Secret FBI Files Revealed by Al-Jazeera”. Gus saw it and smiled brightly as he his head was pushed down into a non-described car, men in black in tow.
An open laptop, a pile of textbooks and a cup of coffee accompanied him as he sat in the back alley of a nursing home, everyday. He sat at a rickety, white, steel grate table, smoking cigarettes, passed out every couple hours. Nobody knew what he was studying and he made it very clear that he didn’t really have time for talk. He was busy breaking into the virtual back-doors of corporations that angered him, rearranging numbers, just to amuse himself. He would be cordial to a newcomer, if they presented themselves with respect and would mirror it back to them.That’s what he did when he met Johnny. He appeared to know something of what Gus was studying. They got on like old war buddies.
At the revolving door nursing home, Gus has seen them come and go, in one way or the other, for nearly seven years now and had never met anyone that interested him. He hid in his laptop and books because he couldn’t bare to look up and see someone, seemingly clinging to life, with a cigarette dangling from their mouth, again. But Johnny changed that for him. A vibrant mind, he had, and as Gus would discover, he would be of help with Gus’s project. And, when not working, they would discuss how they both abhor the American government, or corporation, as they sometimes referred to it.
What occupied the majority of their time was the innovations and inventions of an often overlooked genius name Nikola Tesla. His humble contributions to society are still being deciphered today. Edison took all the credit for lighting the world when it is Tesla’s Alternating Current that is in use. The “current wars” where direct current (Edison’s profitable blueprint) was pitted against alternate current (Tesla’s design) and was definitively won by Tesla, but he is not in History books. It was a money thing, of no surprise, considering whom the players were, Carnegie, Edison, Goldwater, JP Morgan and even Ford would have been ruined by Tesla’s ingenious mind. He was the brains behind the thieving rich. Edison was a business man and not an inventor. Figuring out how to sell electricity, in the form a bulbs.
Gus was enthralled with engineering and he had found a well inside the mind of Nikola Tesla. But it didn’t seem that his memory was being very well preserved. Stymied every way he looked for answers by a reluctant government, particularly the FBI, whom were effectively hiding, world revolutionizing inventions and a solution for a country with a boundless appetite for energy, but the United States would need to maintain control of his work. Gus knew the nature of the US government and all he kept finding were documents with blacked-out lines and blacked-out whole paragraphs. Which is common of the government with “classified” subjects. But after nearly 80 years, one would figure a “declassification” was in order. But it wasn’t. A terrorist act of monumental proportion that the country, or any other, for that matter, has never seen before was declared “declassified” but not the inventions of a humble, transcendental man. Gus knew something was amiss and, being America, he assumed it was money.
Johnny knew an inordinate amount about Tesla and sparked Gus’ interest. Gus wanted to shine some light, publicly, on Tesla’s suppressed work. But that would mean removing the black from the blacked-out portions of FBI confiscated, at the time of death, documents. That is no small task.
America recognized the genius of Tesla, when he died, but they were practically obligated to, having a Noble Prize taken by a Guglielmo Marconi, whom Carnegie and Edison invested in. To which the humble Nikola responded, “Marconi is a good fellow. Let him continue. He is using seventeen of my patents.” Not angry he got cheated out of the greatest prize science has to offer, which he deserved. That played to the type of man he was. A spiritual, scientific genius. Having modest beginnings in Croatia, he wanted not of the wealth, pride and fame that contests created. He was consumed by his work. The growth of electricity, safely, around the globe. Edison may have have capitalized on others designs and “invented” the light bulb, if you want to go by the “History” books, but Tesla created a safer way for it to become electrified. Yet he garners no mention, anywhere, unless it is sought out.
“Tesla needs to see the light of day” Gus said. “And get the recognition he deserves.”
“Well, truth be known, my father was an FBI agent and worked to suppress his work.”Johnny said.
“No kidding?” Gus asked.
“And where might it be?” Gus asked. “I can get into web sites through the back door.”
“That’s what it will take because they aren’t giving that away, but the FBI web site has a decent firewall, I’m sure.”Johnny said.
So, the secret was out, what Gus’ project was. Johnny and Gus started scheming for ways to get the info. and what to do with it. Who to call, how to get the ammunition to them and how to not get caught. This would be a dangerous undertaking and they would need help. To reveal the life changing, world saving inventions of a genius. They would have to enlist some help. They would need a secure wifi signal and their was one at the nursing home but Gus did not have the password, but he had a particularly good relationship with the maintenance man and he knew the buildings secrets having worked there for twenty years.
The drone of life in the nursing home carried on. Mornings consisted of waking up to sheet-metal boxes carrying plates with a meager breakfast barreling down the uneven tile floors, a morning reveille, of sorts. That woke most, whom experienced a knee-jerk reaction fearing another earthquake. Only to remember where they were and whom is “caring" for them. Gus was always ready to get another day started, preempting the sheet-metal shaker, stealing a cup of coffee from the cook, whom he also had bonded. He attracted those not treated with adequate value, feeling an abbreviated sense of inferiority, himself. Then he gets his laptop set upon the empty patio and lugs his pile of reference books to “his” rickety table.
“It’s voting day, are you registered?” Johnny chuckled walking out the door to the patio.
“Oh! I didn’t see you there...I’m voting by not voting.” Gus said. “There’s a quote by Lincoln about turning your back to the fire and having to live with blisters on your butt. I realize that but when every choice feels crooked, staying out, seems right, to me, that is.”
“I hear and understand your point but voting is the only hand we have in this corrupt game and if I hadn’t just got there, I’d be voting.” Johnny said.
“I know and have been told many times but I didn’t want to registered here because I
“Oh! you want to see me work? Well, I can’t show you everything but I’ll let you watch the screen.” Gus said. Johnny pulled up a chair, Gus is in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury.
“Alright,” Johnny said as he made himself comfortable at the table. And Gus used the relative little skill he had and with a hand-full of keystrokes got into Bank of America. They saw the employee list, reviews and, of course, the money.
“And that was easy. America is doing a shoddy job of protecting our money.” Gus said. “I find that curious, they’re just lucky I’m not about money...but I could change. I think they are trying to populate prisons, if you ask me. Prison’s are run by for-profit corporations. We are allowing many to profit off the misery of other’s, including the wrongly accused, charged, sentenced and some, executed. If someone dies over a mistake, I believe that the system must be dismantled”
You have a valid point but I’m not here to argue the justice system, I believe we had an agenda...and wouldn’t they know who breached their security from your IP address?" Johnny asked.
“Excuse me...not necessarily whom, but definitely where. Triangulating is not new technology, they’ll be on this place [the nursing home] like white on rice." Gus answered. “As long as the signal is not in your name and you are piggy-backing, they’ll have a chase on their hands...but they are always up for a fugitive hunt.”
“If that’s where his work is, I will find a way.” Gus answered confidently. “I can be more insidious than the FBI” Gus laughed, “And I know people with certain talents.”
“You’ll have to, because they practically wrote the book on keeping secrets, but if you get in, I can guide you from there.” Johnny said.
“Then we need that secure signal. I think I can get it from the maintenance guy.”
Other patients filed onto the patio for smoke break. Gus and Johnny quieted their conversation. And smoked, ignoring the others. Soon enough they were gone. A nosy nurses assistant butted his head in their business.
“Yes we are gentlemen and as a matter of fact, we are...of this place.” Gus boldly jested.
“They all think they are running things, when all they run is their mouths.” Gus said
“I hacked into their system, it’s not even secured. I wonder what’s on the secured signal,
“Yeah, I’m small time, there are ways to make yourself invisible...but that’s just a rumor on the circuit.” Gus said, “Hey...you could be a mole from the Feds...maybe I should shut up. No, seriously, I’ve been studying Tesla for years and have run into roadblock after roadblock. Pages missing from schematics and a whole lot more.”
“I repaired a Frank Lloyd Wright house. Built an airport in Dubai and...How’s that?”
“Nice...Nice.” Gus said. “I’ve had this spinal cord injury for ten years...that’s a lot of time sitting on your butt so I bought a laptop and began researching what my heart desired and engineering always amazed me. The industrial revolution fascinated me also, the players, that is. When the disease of capitalism thrived to such a degree that would make Adam Smith[author of, An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, and 18th-century Scottish philosopher and political economist] roll-over in his grave. Hence, we have people, such as, Tesla getting the short end of a very long stick. And America was so ignorant that they started teaching a history, that somehow seemed purchased, because it was totally wrong.”
“Ohhh...a drunk driver running a light.” Gus began after belching a sigh making obvious the times he’s told the story, “T-boned me, and that’s all I remember. I was later told that I spun, hit the curb and flipped over. That’s how the paramedic found me. The most painful part is being told you’re never going to walk again. Flesh heals, after a while, but being minimalized by an injury you couldn’t have prevented? That lasts forever. But with counseling can be overcome. Ya’ know they assumed I would get depressed so the doctor [in the hospital] ordered anti-depressant pills. Issuing psychotropic medication on an assumption...c’mon, we’re not all sheep, there are some wolf’s mixed in. And this doctor found a wolf in patients clothing.”
Chuckling, “You sure are a wolf!” Johnny said. “A bit high-strung, but a wolf nonetheless.”
“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Gus said. “Don’t talk to very many people. Never have. Not since my crash, I don’t believe that there are any accidents in life. God, the almighty creator, whatever you want to call the Creator of creators, The Artist of artists, wants me on my ass, apparently. And I wasn’t about to just sit here, stagnant.”
“What?” Johnny said.
“What brings you to this fabulous establishment.”
Chuckling, “I had a mild heart attack, my third. It’s kinda’ think the reason I want to give you what I have about Tesla. I don’t know how mild the next will be.” Johnny said. “And the doctor warned me to stop smoking, but I’m sure you know how hard that is.
“It’s lunch time!” A voice said from the open, then shut, patio door. Gus and Johnny turned their heads to look at each other...contemplating what to do. They, simultaneously, put their heads down, one in a laptop, and another in a book. They started meeting every morning, on the patio, enlisting the help of the janitor, Jerome, for the signal, a head nurse for info. on the owner of that signal and the suppression of their charts when needed. Because no signal is truly secure when the FBI is involved. And they would seek out the owner of the signal, first. But a secured signal prevents civilians from tampering with their “project”. They had to”butter-up” the nurse for a while before asking, but she relented, in the end. Her name was Betsy.
“We’re in!” Gus exclaimed. “Thanks Mark, I owe you one...OK. Bye.” And put down the cell phone.
“Yep, you got it...that’s a secret I’ve not told a soul, but it needs to come out.” Johnny said.
“Yep, I’m on it..."Never seen” schematics, will be in our hands in minutes, alright, log off. I’m gone!” Gus said.
“Yeah, we’re all in on this.” Gus said with confidence, catching his breath, having just breached an arm of the American government hailed for their investigative skills. But not hiding what they find like the NSA [National Security Association]. “Find the right person and we can get the documents to them, post haste, but only the right person. I know we’ve spoken about it, before, but we need to double and triple check the person. They [FBI] will know that someone stole something, but not necessarily what. All the guard is catching is the back-door, hopefully. They’ll have been hit by a Mac truck and after they sit up will only by able to get my IP address. You’d think that being the F. friggin’ B.I., they would have a better cyber security, but they
don’t.”
“That, I do not know, but Betsy has been instructed to hide our charts if anyone funny comes in. So, when they do come, which they will, we won’t exist..” Gus answered.
“I know someone from the Al-Jazeera network that I have an ongoing conversation with. I hesitate to call him a friend but only because I haven’t had dinner with him, yet.” Johnny chuckled, “but I do trust him, it’s a relationship I cultivated for this very moment.”
“So, if everything goes as planned, they will know that someone in the building hacked them but not whom in particular.” Gus said, “ and my laptop will be clean by then. Betsy and I have been growing close through our caper.”
“Well, don’t get too close, the Federal Penitentiary could be around the corner.” Johnny said.
“What?!...Don’t do that, I’m worried already. Nothing would draw them to our names, like warrants, right?” Gus asked.
“Good I just took care of mine, it was for cyber crime...was looking at ten years Federal time.” Gus said.
“I know, that’s why I got so close to Betsy, not to mention that she has quite the figure,piercing green eyes, and is a genuinely good woman.” Gus replied, “This was worth putting my neck out...again.”
“I agree to that but you could’ve said something. I should have known.” Johnny said.
“OK...I apologize, don’t worry, if anyone goes down, it will be me, I’ll own it.” Gus admitted.
“You won’t, and neither will I. Betsy will look out for us. Especially since she revealed some thing to me about the building that could get it shut down. I’m a liability to her. Shyster I am not though I do have tendencies. She’s a smart lady. Tomorrow we should stay in our rooms, though, just in case they’re pushy, and it wouldn’t surprise me.” Gus said. “Feds are Feds, they get their man and NOBODY does them wrong. But they do people wrong all day. Tesla needs to see the light of day and if I have to do time for it, I will gladly.”
“My sense of justice is exaggerated from a childhood experience.” Gus explained. “And continued to cause me problems as an adult. I got into trouble hacking into a corporate web site then changing all their pay to minimum wage. Receptionist to CEO. They were not amused. I wasn’t alone but would not give up my friend, so they added time. I thanked the judge, he added a year for THAT. That friend that I was protecting baled me out. I don’t know, how but he did it. If I live here and maintain no assets they can’t tax me, ‘til my court date next month.”
“Sounds very complicated and dangerous. I don’t play with the law because it seems that once they know your name, you’re always going back or pulled over and hauled off to jail...not my scene.” Johnny said.
“Nobody wants problems with the law and I don’t have beef with police, I have beef with the FBI. And them, me. It is a symbiotic relationship.” Gus said. “Alright, we better retreat back to our rooms and I’ll bury my laptop under my pillow and lay down for a couple days.”
Gus was alone, with his crime and his mind. The crime of knowledge. Such a shame, he thought, they should just hire him. But they’d rather chase him. That’s was fine, Gus was quick on his wheelchair, and laptop. Here one second, gone the next. He had enough reading material for his down time. FBI secret files about free, never ending energy gathered from our atmosphere and anti-gravity space vehicles. He’s known as General Gustard in cyber space. Being elusive is what he’s known for, getting in deep and disappearing. His friend was Echo, whom baled him out, he’s actually met and have a friendship in reality. They know when someone has, so much as, looked at their signal, much less encroached upon it. They are wireless on foot, but they aren’t reckless, just playful. It’s all in good fun and competition. “They” don’t always lose. Some fire-walls ARE impenetrable. Just not the FBI’s apparently. Cyber crimes are federal, so, the Feds area already on him. If he gets caught breaking into THEIR system, he’ll go down without a trial. He cares not.
Coming back in from having a cigarette Johnny gave Gus his friend from Al-Jazeera’s email address and said to send it immediately. He saw a man in black walk past his door. Gus saw them to but didn’t want to scare Johnny. Johnny was thinking that if Gus goes down they still need to get the job done. He had nothing to worry about. Gus would be the sacrificial lamb for Tesla. This was that important to him. And Johnny.
The FBI thought that this would be easier and had never had to interrogate the elderly before and didn’t. After a confusing walk through they left. With their obvious ear piece and sunglasses. You never see the CIA. They look like you.
They met up after two days in the room, only had one run-in with the Feds. But, now, you never know, every new person will be looked at with suspicion. They had gotten away with it. This was the greatest day of Gus’ life.
“Don’t say that, the mind is strong and it will manifest.” Gus said. “Betsy and I are on as can be.”
Betsy started acting funny, not herself, but Gus excused it because he really had feelings for her. But the next morning Gus found out what was up when the Feds rushed him at five in the morning, in bed, completely surprised. Johnny heard commotion and ran.
They made eye contact and Gus was stoic, not showing a drop of remorse. Johnny had mixed emotions, his new friend was going to prison, for a long time, but Tesla’s secret FBI file will be revealed. He was proud of that.
Betsy got caught hiding files when the Feds ran through and gave up Gus, to save her own pretty ass from prison. Gus didn’t mind, even saying on his way out to Betsy, whom was cowering behind a counter, “You’re still my girl, I understand. No worries.” And being that early the morning paper arrived with the headline, “Tesla’s Secret FBI Files Revealed by Al-Jazeera”. Gus saw it and smiled brightly as he his head was pushed down into a non-described car, men in black in tow.
“No kidding?” Gus asked.
“What?” Johnny said.
“What brings you to this fabulous establishment.”
don’t.”
“I know, that’s why I got so close to Betsy, not to mention that she has quite the figure,piercing green eyes, and is a genuinely good woman.” Gus replied, “This was worth putting my neck out...again.”