PDA

View Full Version : Snowball Bunny Moves to Wonderland. Adult, 2,560

hvysmker
October 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Synopsis: Young Alice Adams discovered that by pulling up a .jpg picture on her father’s computer she could crawl through the huge monitor into the photo. Her favorite picture was of Wonderland. She often visited its residents when her parents were at work. Her pet rabbit, Snowball, married Alfred the white rabbit. They had babies, two of which live with their father and the rest with Alice and Snowball.
-----------

To Alice, everything seemed to be happening at one time, her world being turned topsy-turvy. Here it was, summer vacation from school and she had expected to be able to have all kinds of adventures. Instead, trouble kept popping up. She supposed adults had such problems all the time, since her parents often argued about tiny things like money.

"I don't trust my husband, Alice," Snowball, her bunny, told her one morning. "I've thought it over and want to move to Wonderland with him. That way I can stop his carousing.

The baby rabbits weren't babies anymore. George wanted to travel the world; Alice, her namesake, yearned to be free in the woods and to find a nice bunny to settle down with; Peter Rabbit had a girlfriend and wanted to move in with her; and the littlest, Gloria, said she wanted to stay with her mother.

"Alice, honey," her own mother kept telling her, oftener, and oftener, "you should really get rid of some of those bunnies. That back porch is stinking in this heat."

And now, and now, Alice came home on the last day of school to find a cat in the house. A full-grown male cat.

"Say hello to Tom, Alice," her mother told her. "He's going to be living with us. You better not let the bunnies out anymore."

Although her mother didn't like it, Alice had been letting them out while her mother and father were at work. The bunnies were used to wandering around the house and didn't make any trouble. Well, not much, anyway. Peter chewed the edge of the telephone book once and Alice almost got a spanking for it. Snowball did give Peter a good bawling out, though. And there was the time George.... Well, anyway, they were mostly well behaved. But now, with a big cat around, they'd have to stay in the cage on the back porch.

"Hello, Tom." Alice reached down to pet the new kitty, getting a hiss in return along with a claw snapping at her hand. "He doesn't like me," Alice told her mother while stepping back. The cat looked up at her with a stare like she was a piece of cat-food.

"He doesn't know you yet, that's all," her mother told her, tickling the now purring animal behind the ear. "That'll change. This is a new home for him. Let him wander around and get used to everybody."

Tom Cat seemed to get along with her mother and Aunt Edna, who watched over Alice while her parents were at work. Aunt Edna drank a lot and, after a few drinks, would usually sleep and leave Alice alone. She always woke her aunt up before her mother got home. But the cat pretty much ignored poor Alice.

That is, until Tom managed to get through the back door and onto the porch, finding the cage of rabbits.

Hearing a thumping sound, Alice put down her book and rushed to the porch. Tom Cat was on top of the cage with rabbits running all around inside while trying to stay far away from probing claws.

"Meow," the cat cried happily, reaching down at George, who was huddling in a corner.

"Hey, stop that." Alice grabbed the cat up, getting three scratches on her arm as she jerked him from the cage. She slapped Tom on the head and threw him back in the house.

Then Alice had a hard time calming and comforting the bunnies. It took her and Snowball a long time, since they were all so scared.

After that, all the bunnies wanted to move right away. They didn't like it there anymore -- which made Alice so sad. Maybe it was her fault, Alice thought, because she hadn't even tried to get friendly with Tom. Instead, a mutual dislike had developed between them.

Tom, after that occasion, tried to be friends with Alice and she also tried to talk to him for the first time since he'd arrived. Alice had a gift of being able to understand animal talk. Most kids can when young but never realize it.

"Now, you leave those rabbits alone." She picked Tom up. The cat was purring for her and had been rubbing her leg, trying to ingratiate himself to get at the bunnies. "They're my friends and you can't eat them."

"Just the little one, that's all I want," Tom pleaded. "I promise I won't bother them anymore. Just that little girl you call Gloria. I promise." Tom purred.

"No. None of them."

"Aw, only one is all, you have five and all I want is the one. Please?" Tom tried to reason with her.

"Uh, uh. None at all."

"You're mean."

"Still no. You can't have Gloria."

"I'll be your friend if you give me Gloria. You can pet me whenever you want and I'll curl up on your lap and--"

"No."

Alice was all mixed up. With the pressure from her mother, the bunnies and the cat, she had to do something. Sighing, the little girl decided to do what her mother and the bunnies wanted.

Alice told Snowball about her decision. "I'll do what you want, tomorrow morning."

The next morning, after her parents went to work she found a cardboard box and went out to the back porch. It was a sad sight for all of them, including Alice, crying and hugging each other while knowing some of them would never see each other again.

She picked up Peter, George, and Alice Bunny, putting them in the box and carrying it out to her bicycle. As she pedaled to nearby wheat fields, the rabbits were both sad and excited.

"You tell me where you want out, Alice, and I'll let you go."

"Here! Right here," Alice Bunny told her, excitedly, when they came to a patch of woods. "I can smell other rabbits."

Alice picked up Alice Bunny and George.

"Now, you make sure your sister is settled down okay before you leave on your travels, George. Don't leave her alone and unloved. There must be other rabbits around -- and a place for her to live," she instructed the bunnies. "And good luck to both of you."

All of them were sobbing as she set the two on the ground. Alice and Peter watched as George and Alice Bunny ran into the field.

Wiping her eyes, she then pedaled to her friend, Julie's, house. She carried the box and an excited Peter upstairs to his new home and his girlfriend. At least she could visit Peter, Alice thought.

That left only Snowball and little Gloria. With tears in her eyes, Alice pedaled home.

She saw Aunt Edna was asleep on the couch, a whiskey bottle and glass sitting on a table beside her. Alice quietly booted up her father's large computer and went back to the porch where Snowball and Gloria were already packed. None of them mentioned the other bunnies. They were all too sad to do it without crying. But they were excited, too.

Tom cat watched, jumping up and meowing angrily as Alice carried the two bunnies to the computer table. She clicked on the .jpg picture of Wonderland and it appeared on the big monitor.

Not trusting Tom, Alice put the bunnies inside the monitor first, onto a little wooden platform on the other side. She then put a plastic sack with their belongings in with them. Snowball had her books and Gloria wanted to take her X-box along. Then Alice crawled in with them.

"No, Tom," she reached back through the monitor and brushed the cat off the table. "There are dragons in there that will eat you. You better stay out.”

"You don't like me," Tom growled.

"No, I don't, Tom. Nobody eats nobody else around here."

"Aw, you're mean." He glared at her.

She turned back to the bunnies.

"You know the way, Snowball. I don't trust Tom. I better make sure he doesn't come in here. I'll see you guys later. Say hello to Alfred and the others for me."

Not liking it, but seeing no other recourse, Alice crawled back out and turned off the computer. Tom sat on the floor, watching her and glaring, a low growl coming from clenched teeth.

Snowball picked up the bag and led Gloria across the grass to Alfred the white rabbit's cottage in the woods. Gloria had never been to Wonderland before and ran ahead, behind, and to all sides, eating grass here, looking under a rock there and smelling the flowers somewhere else.

Surprisingly, Alfred was home. He and Snowball's other children, Billy and Billee, were eating lunch with their friends, the carpenter and the walrus -- the walrus taking up one entire side of the table. Bernie, the dormouse, was busy at the kitchen counter, standing in the teapot while mixing fresh butter into the tea with his feet.

"Yippee, Gloria's here," Billie cried out and the three youngsters crowded around their mother. Alfred seemed ill at ease. That was because he had an afternoon date arranged with a local squirrel named Molly.

The other three simply waited for their tea and crumpets. Except, of course, for the walrus, who was heating a fish sandwich with mustard in the microwave. The microwave, however, was on its own afternoon break. You see, kitchen appliances in Wonderland all had their own contracts. Although not getting any money for their work, they did have certain privileges. For example, the toaster, being fastidious, was assured of a weekly cleaning.

There were only seven roads through Wonderland, three were the children of four of the others and often took advantage of a holiday to visit their parents, throwing both Kingdoms into disarray as they slid around, seemingly at random. On those occasions, you couldn't get from here to there, nor even there to here or before or after.

So, you see, everything in Wonderland had rights -- except for poor Humpty-Dumpty, who wanted the right to stay off that darn wall, but his writer never let him -- blitesfully bedangling Humpty’s obese body from the edifacial construtivesome thingy every morning. (the writer in question was six-years-old herself and very bad with languages, especially in regard to paper.)

So, for the roomful of citizens and bunnies, it was both a happy, unhappy, and indifferent occasion according to their feelings at the time.

"Snowball, baby. You don't know how glad I am to see you." Alfred grabbed his wife, leading her to the table and calling out, "Billy, why don't you and your sisters go out to play. The Tweedles have a war going on, you know?"

"Oh, yes, Gloria. Come on," Billy said, guiding his sisters outside. "The Tweedles have great wars, complete with knights, ogres, and young dragons." He slapped Billie on the head. "You two can be the helpless maidens."

"The tea is ready, buttered and boiling, ready to imbibe," the dormouse cried, jumping out of the pot where he had been comfortably soaking with the leaves.

About that time, there came the happy "Ding" of the microwave, the smell of toasted fish filling the room. At the sound of the "Ding", six crumpets jumped from a box to roll in a saucer of grape jelly, dance momentarily and plop down onto waiting saucers -- ready to be dunked. Lunch was ready.

The carpenter, fearing active crumpets, quickly nailed then to the saucers with discounted two-for-a-penny nails, then retrieved the fish sandwich for the walrus. Nobody wanted an awkward walrus flippity-flopping around the cottage, spilling tea and sliding on spilled butter.

Unfortunately, there was no chair for Snowball, so she had to stand, which wasn't that much of a problem as the dormouse soon called out, "Switch settings, everyone switch settings," whereupon and wherefore, they all rose and shuffled to the setting on their right, giving Snowball a place to sit for four more switches.

Snowball tasted her tea, initially that of the Carpenter, but found it too salty. She took a sip and held it in her mouth until the next "switch settings," which brought her to that of the walrus, who liked no salt at all. That way, it all evened out in the end, with Snowball getting a chance to nibble on the sandwich. In that manner -- and mannerly -- all enjoyed a Wonderland lunch.

After goodbyes, the guests left, leaving Alfred and Snowball alone. Worked up by her presence, as he was with any female -- with the possible exception of a few of the ogre girls -- Alfred led his wife to the bed for connubial exercises, consisting mostly of push-ups and hiding the sausage.

Both exhausted, they lay, clutching each other whilst ( a good word, whilst ) reacquainting after a long absence. In the back of his mind, Alfred knew he was forgetting something but was far too occupied to remember.

"I know you haven't been faithful to me, Alfred, but that's going to change," Snowball nibbled on his floppy left ear as she spoke. "I'm moving in with you, forever," she told him, licking his muzzle.

"But I have, precious. I have been eternally faithful. I'd never cheat on you with another rabbit," he lied -- which brought his memory back. "Uh. I have to go out for a few minutes, baby. Uh ... to the bathroom."

Alfred was a few seconds too late, which was exactly the same as an eternity, as the door opened. The visitor was Molly Squirrel, less than enthused with him missing their date.

"What the hell you doing here?" Snowball screamed.

"Who the hell are you, you (censored in Wonderland as well as half the western and three-quarters of the eastern hemispheres.) And just who are you?" Molly demanded, storming in and reaching into a familiar corner for a broom.

With a "Yeep," the broom tried to dodge her paw, but in vain.

"Only his (same bad word as above) wife, you hussy." Snowball was also up and bristling, grabbing up a chamberpot from beside the bed -- the pot also being too slow in getting away.

"Wife? He didn't tell me he had a wife." Molly stopped to gaze at a quaking Alfred -- by then under the covers in a far corner of the bed and only obvious by a shivering motion of the blanket.

"And he, only this moment, told me he's been faithful," spit out Snowball.

Broom and pot hit the lump in the corner of the bed, splattering the hapless white bunny with pieces of glass mixed with straw and much more noxious substances.

After taking out their frustrations on Alfred, the two girls, both breathing hard, collapsed on the clean side of the bed, face to face.

"How about a cup of tea?" Snowball asked, panting. The two spent a pleasant hour, sipping tea and getting acquainted. Both avoided looking at two frightened eyes peering out from a pitiful huddled lump at one corner of the bed.

The End,
Charlie

Clepto
October 15th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Ha! I enjoyed that very much. It reminded me quite a lot of its base story. It broke the fourth wall just enough to bring the chuckles but not enough to become distracting. I would like to see more writing like this.

Thanks for the good read!

hvysmker
October 15th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Thanks, Clepto. This is one of a series. So far I have eleven of them.

When I have a touch of writer's block, I often turn to one of these series to write another story. For that reason, they're of varied types and styles. One, a detective series evolved into a novel, following a mob bartender through years as a cop, then detective, before being fired and going private. Then up until after his retirement. All it took was organizing them chronologically with a little filler material between.

Glad you like it.
Charlie

Clepto
October 15th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Well I would love to read more about Alice for sure. You should post up some of those cop stories as well. :)

hvysmker
October 15th, 2014, 04:11 AM
About noon tomorrow, I'll be posting section five of eight of a long detective story. I've been posting it every other day, a day between posts for other things. Search for "About Dead Doris."

It's about detectives investigating a murder of an old woman in a cheap hotel, and becomes divided between their investigation in 2003 and a bank robbery in 1942. The two are related with shootings and murders galore. Also a romance. It ends with a huge gunfight with the perp,

Charlie

Clepto
October 15th, 2014, 04:20 AM
I'll be sure to read that. Thanks for the heads up!