PDA

View Full Version : Sending copies to magazine/tabloid reviewers.

Potty
October 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
So I've had the idea of sending a copy of my published work to a reviewer who has a regular column in a tabloid or some such. I understand this is a common thing to do, but having browsed the internet I'm unable to find a suitable "etiquette guide" to learn from. Things like who would be the right person to send too, weather I should just send the work or sort out a query first etc.

Does anyone on here have an advice or tips I could use to stop me making a fool of myself?

Cran
October 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Unless you really want to send off free copies to every publication in the hope they will read and review it, your best bet is a letter first, introducing yourself and what you want from the publication.

In either case, the person you want is the editor of the publication, or if they list a separate editor for the part of the publication that would include reviews - eg, they may have an Arts or Lifestyle or even Books section with its own editor - then to that editor. It helps if you can find out the editor's name for more personal addressing - Dear Editor generally gets the B-List treatment, and you would prefer to be on the A-List.

ETA: If the publication is based locally, you can go and visit in person and ask to speak to the relevant editor. I've found this works more often than not.

Potty
October 3rd, 2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks Cran! Would an acceptable way to find out the name be to contact the chief editor first asking who the best person to contact might be? I'm finding it's not always clear on websites!

Linton Robinson
March 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM
That first mail to the reviewers might want to contain a link to a free ebook copy (a coupon for SmashWords is ideal) the modern day equivalent of the "ARC". And noting that if they read some other format, you can provide them a book in that format. (If they insist on paper, dropship them from CreateSpace)