PDA

View Full Version : Music as inspiration

SeasideAnna
August 10th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Do you listen to a specific music style to get in the right mood for writing? I have noticed that it is much easier to write e.g. a romantic part if I listen to romantic music, scary music for scary parts etc.

How about you? What do you listen to, to get in the right mood?

:-({|=

blueberryspiders
August 10th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I agree! I find calmer music really nice to just write out all of my thoughts, but when I'm trying to construct a specific part, certain types of music really help. I find music gets me in the mood to write if I'm not really doing anything else. Also, for some reason hearing other people speak really puts me in the mood for writing dialogue, especially if that person has a unique voice or is saying something interesting.

Jeko
August 10th, 2014, 09:45 PM
My issue with music is that, while it makes writing easier, it takes focus away from the character's minds and towards surface-level matters of feeling, tone and the like. Other writers may prefer to focus on the overall impression of the scene, but I have to stay in the minds of my characters, and those minds aren't filled with music.

T.S.Bowman
August 11th, 2014, 03:24 AM
When I first got the idea for my novel, I was listening to Dream Theater and something in the music "struck a chord". It got me started on the first few pages. Another song by Ronnie James Dio provided the inspiration for the rest of the story.

I will occasionally listen to music when I write. But there are times when I find it distracting and just turn it off. For me, writing effectively is all about my mood. Sometimes the music is welcome and sometimes it isn't.

Dallionz
August 18th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Music is something I do enjoy listening to when I write. But it has to be something that I like but is somewhat mellow. Otherwise, if it's some of my favorite, I find myself singing to it instead of focusing on my writing.

A particular song, "Sometimes He Calms the Storm," by Scott Krippayne did inspire my first book though!

AquaRoxas
November 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM
It's definitely useful. It inspires you, and kind of helps you to envision what the character must be thinking, by making you kinda relate to them.
EDIT: Sorry for bump.

ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord
December 3rd, 2014, 05:27 AM
Music can be useful. For one story, I chose a specific song for each character, which really helped me develop them.

InstituteMan
December 4th, 2014, 02:00 AM
The older I get, the more I need silence to write. I find myself singing along to the tunes more than writing if I'm not careful.

LadyGrumps
December 17th, 2014, 03:32 AM
I try to stick with orchestral music for mine, and yes I do create a soundtrack--that way the feeling is consistent throughout. Gets a bit boring sometimes but it keeps me focussed. Sometime I'll have an OST with different themes for the TYPE of scene I'm working on.

LazarettoKiddo
June 15th, 2016, 07:40 PM
I like to assign "character soundtracks" when I'm writing given character dialogue to get me into the headspace. Such soundtracks can even have "sub-soundtracks" with specific song sets for each emotion.

MurielDLongo
July 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM
I love to listen to electronic, classical or blues music when I willing to write. Also, I think music is much deeper than just sounds. Yesterday I was watching the movie, called "Alive Inside (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2593392/)," about people who has Alzheimer disease. The scary thing about this illness that they suffer from memory loss. This film follows social worker Dan Cohen, which demonstrates the power of music. He took personalized songs, which recorded on the iPod, to every patient, asked them to push the play button and after that, the magic began. Every patient started to remember their golden age of life. They just woke up from the longest sleep ever and started to cry, dance and sing. This film is very touching and totally worth watching and sharing.

P.S. I cried nearly whole evening, and I never saw something that looks like this movie.