PDA

View Full Version : Alakia - Synopsis

KJSinclair
June 23rd, 2014, 07:00 AM
I decided since this is only my 11th post and that my novel has barely begun sprouting from an idea that I would share my (deliberately vague) synopsis. All I really want to know is, does this pique your interest?

Year 2200: Earth is in more trouble that it can imagine, a population ravaged by war and disease is on its knees. A man once declared the savior, rescuing the people from themselves now holds onto power, all power with a vice-like grip.

Precious natural resources have been depleted, clean water harder to find, there is desperation!

Welcome to Freedonia, where the poor and the rich are divided by a canyon of rights, where lies are told as truth and truth is buried in delusion.

There is hope, a sliver of a chance; a far off world, frantic to help. Hope is called Alakia.

Thank you in advance for taking time to look over my work :)

KJ

Blade
June 23rd, 2014, 10:11 PM
I think the basic premise is interesting, and for that matter even a possibility. I think you will need some detailed description as to the nature and consequences of the war on the economy and the environment in order to establish a base line context for the story. This may be a little tricky as depopulation will reduce stress on the environment as an isolated effect on its own.

I think it would be a good idea if the 'situation' roughly mirrored our own present so that the reader could grasp the context without too much trouble.

As per solution I think one would be sceptical of help from a far of world (Alakia) as disaster tends to make people even more attached to the old and resistant to the new. (Iraq, Afghanistan) It would be interesting if you could pullit off.

Erik Fantasia
June 23rd, 2014, 10:27 PM
I'm hooked. Dystopias are in right now as they should always be. It will be hard to write this though, do to the depth of the enviroment.

Riptide
June 23rd, 2014, 10:28 PM
Alakia... another world willing to help this world... Yeah, sounds interesting. I'm just wondering why Alakia would help us and Freedonia, and the MC or MCs.

KJSinclair
June 24th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I am glad that my synopsis was vague enough to make you all ask questions!

I would love to answer them all and well actually I could but I am not going to lol

I have a very specific plan that is both logical and well researched, it is certainly not going to be pie in the sky. It is certainly extreme, it is completely dramatic but plausible.

Earth has a timeline, it was one of my first steps in order to move to the future I had to know in detail how it happened, why it happened and exactly when it happened.

As far as why Alakia want to help, for the same reason the west is willing to help the east... Freedonia has something the Alakians need!

Of course, us earthlings are skeptical, some are firmly against change of any kind and others are desperate for it.

I am extremely pleased that so far no-one has thrown up any questions that I can't answer or haven't thought about, that means I am heading in the right direction!

Thank you all so far!

KJ

Caragula
June 24th, 2014, 01:24 PM
This synopsis doesn't have a character in it. Who is the story about?