PDA

View Full Version : Map of The Alterslanden

WechtleinUns
May 30th, 2014, 07:22 PM
This is a map of the Alterslaenden, the second largest continent in my fantasy world, Kolodrwynn.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/150/1/b/alterslandern_map_by_kloutsketch-d7kcbfn.jpg

This is a map of The Alterslanden, the second largest continent in my fantasy world of The Kolodrwynn. I plan on writing a five book series with this fantasy world as the setting, but more on that later. For know, I've included a brief glossary of the place names and important regions of this world for anyone whose interested in that kind of stuff. Also, I tried to make the map as large as I could, and keep it at a fairly high resolution, to help anyone who wants to actually locate the places in the glossary. Let's begin!

/* Important Regions of the Atlerslanden */

:: The Russieg Peninsula ::

The entire continent of Alterslanden is roughly divided into two halves by the Danzhallerin Mountain Chain, which translates into English as "The Teeth". This mountain chain is huge, and the Russieg Peninsula is on the western side of it. This area is comprised of relatively mountainous and fertile lands in the shadow of the mountains where the peninsula joins the mainland. Moving west, we have the smooth, rolling plains of the Soporovotchil and the harsh, stone choked Tranegrass plains. Additionally, there are swamps in the central/western regions and shrubland in the far west.

Three political entities vie for power in the Russieg Peninsua, of which the first is the Russtatd. This country is led by the Lady of Russ. Technically speaking, she is the regent and protector of the throne in lieu of the absent royal family, but is herself simply of the nobility. In practical terms, however, she's pretty much the de facto monarch of the country.

On the far western side of the peninsula, we have the Slavstatd syndicate families, of which two are more powerful than all the others: The Cloud March and the Wolf Bear Syndicates. You can think of these guys as power-hungry venetian style merchant guilds. The two large syndicates are propped up and supported by a medley of satellite syndicate families, and often form coalitions and pacts with other in warfare. They are technically a confederacy of solid allies, but in practice their inter-family politics and squabbling/rivalry can mess things up for them.

Finally, smack dab in the middle of the peninsula, in the swampy marches part, you can find the Kedelstatd, which is a civiliazation very near and dear to my heart! The Kedelstatd is unlike any modern nation state, in that it doesn't really have national borders. It is a nation of free men and pirates, ruled by a very peculiar form of democracy.

Basically, it works like this: You need a quorum of Kedelstatd citizens to conduct matters of state, and every member of the quorum has an equal vote, except for the elected chairman, which has votes equal to one fifth of the members present. So how many members is a quorum, you ask? Precisely the number of citizens that are present in the current environment. This might seem either redundant/weird to you, but it actually results in some very funky situations.

It also means that the Kedelstatd, or "Kettle State" in English, is almost impossible to conquer. Out of the three political entities, the Kedelstatd is the least technically developed. In spite of this, however, the pirates are like cockroaches: you really can't get rid of thim!

:: The Eastern Desert and Limestone Deserts ::

The regions east of the Danzhallerin are pretty much desert and harsh shrubland or limestone flats. Not much lives here, with the notable exception of a quirky little race of people called the Macherfraemm. Why are these guys so unusual? Because "Macherfraemm" translates to "Machine People" and the "people" are in fact, "machines". That is, they are self directed automatons, which have mechanistic gear-based and tension coil brains. They run purely on gravity, and a ratcheting tension mechanism, much like that of a wind up clock!

This strange anatomy has some interesting effects on the Macherfraemm, most notably a complete independence from needing to eat or drink water. (Although they do require oil at times, especially when near large bodies of salt-water.) There's much more to these guys than meets the eye, but this is only a brief description. :D

:: The Nortdseul & Polniegseul ::

The Nortdseul & Polniegseul occupy regions on the Northern edges and southern edges of the Alterslaendern, respectively. They are both heavily forested regions, but could not be more different in character. The Nortdseul is a dark and dangerous place, filled with the curse of magic and hatred towards the guns and bombs of men. Few humans would dare walk in those lands, and for good reason. The keeper of the Nortdseul, the Lady of Black, is actually the sister to the Lady of Russ! Lots of backstory there, but let's move on to the Polniegseul.

The Polniegseul is a heavily forested region. These trees are HUGE. Like, bigger than California Redwood Huge. The landscape slopes sharply and unnaturally upwards in certain areas, and in jagged step-like ways. This is because much of the entire forest is actually overgrowth on top of a really, really, really large stone step pyramid. The pyramid itself is buried under about two feet of ashes and soil, which is actually the remains of the old forest.

Further, the trees of the Polniegseul produce an interesting type of pollen in large quantities. This pollen saturates the air and tints everything with a kind of smokey, bluish color. For those who are unused to the effects of the pollen, this can produce drowsiness and hallucinations as one walks the giant boughs. The region is so strange that people often say it's like entering another world of dreams and shadow. Here you can find the Vajyaran monastery, as well as the ruins of an old political state known as Vajyardta.

Because of the mountains, there is really one passing from the western side of the continent to the eastern side, and that's through the ruins at Vajyardta. Understandably, however, not many people can reach the mountain gate to cross. Although a select few certainly have... :twisted:

InstituteMan
May 30th, 2014, 09:55 PM
This certainly is a well thought out world you have created. While I have a great fondness for many of the great fictional worlds from the greats and sometimes even not-so-greats of fantasy, I have never had the energy or wherewithal to create a world of my own, at least not to this degree. Good luck.

Elvenswordsman
May 30th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Old people's land?

WechtleinUns
May 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Institute Man, please wait right here while I squee.

squeeeee!!!! squeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! squerk!

Hehe... I was kind of petrified of posting this map, actually, cause you're kind of right. So let me thank you right here, right now. It's kind of like, when you become a world builder you spend a lot of time doing very detailed and inane things. But when someone acknowledges it!!!!! Ahahahahaha!!!!! My heart just went bang-bang. :D

Also, Elvenswordsman... hehe. No, it's not technically "Old People's land," but you're not far from the mark. This continent is called "Alterslandern" in the vernacular because it was the first continent to be colonized by the refugees from Mu. The second continent, which is maybe a little bit bigger than australia, was the last continent to be colonized by those refugees, and hence is called "Sorbetslaendern".

The three arrows at the bottom of the map actually were supposed to have the phrase "To Sorbetslaendern" below them, but it got cut off. :(

Elvenswordsman
May 31st, 2014, 03:22 PM
Old People's land has one capital I didn't, don't do me like that ;)

And that's German, or to my knowledge, but Sorbetslandern sounds like Frantsch, but land of the really good version of ice cream.

WechtleinUns
May 31st, 2014, 08:20 PM
Heheh... actually, the in world common tongue is a mixture of Germanic, Russian, French, and Spanish influences, with extra heavy emphasis on German. Problem is, when you do something like that you get a lot of "false collisions" with words that actually do translate correctly, but incorrectly, if you know what I mean.

I'm actually working up a proper grammar for the in world common language. Most of the terms here are relevant within a small naming language. So once that's done a lot of the terms used will be reworked into more cohesive linguistic paradigm. Further, there's only one or two really different languages in Kolodrwynn.

There's old Kolodrwynn and Vajwyr, which can be thought of as nearing extinction, and then there's the common tongue, which is pretty much the widespread lingua franca, but is subdivided into 4 currently branching dialects, each of which is marked by a distinctive sound.

Basically, each of the dialects has less or more influences, respectively, from spanish, french, and russian. And I'm talking way too much about this, so I think I'll shut up know. :D

Elvenswordsman
May 31st, 2014, 10:54 PM
Je parle un petit peu Francais, und auch spreche ich Deutsch. I actually write poems in three languages (sometimes more). Menya Rooski... well, it's lacking.

I'd rather see your writing, as your planning bores me (sorry, ADHD).

Enjoy the forums!

WechtleinUns
June 1st, 2014, 03:01 AM
Patience! Patience! :D

Cylver
June 1st, 2014, 06:14 PM
A very interesting world, I would love to create my own worlds but unfortunately the novel I am writing mirrors as an alternate Earth, maybe one day. I especially like the ideas of Nortdseul and Polniegseul as well as the Macherfraemm (sorry if I spelt any of that wrong). I would love to read some writing that takes place on this world as well as see the other continents and planning you have. All the luck for writing your novels :)

Ariel
June 11th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I like the ideas in your world but I have to wonder about the use of limestone for a wasteland. While used in construction quite extensively (especially around where I live--I have a limestone basement) it is a relatively soft rock and makes a wonderfully fertile soil. Limestone is made from fossils and is usually found in formerly marine environments.

Greimour
June 11th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Though I do agree Amsawtell, I have to wonder about its refusal....

Wasn't it a limestone quarry near the Egyptian Pyramids that is believed to be the source of stone for the pyramids themselves? I would have considered that area to be wasteland despite any nearby river or civilized constructions since then. Deserts are often considered wastelands and equally, they were often located where the sea had once been.

Also, deserts are almost always incredibly fertile. It is weather conditions that keep them barren. One turn of the weather can have a desert green within a week (under 7 days) but following locusts and a burning sun- they're stripped back to nothing within the following week.

kilroy214
June 11th, 2014, 06:04 PM
It depends, really. Western Kansas is covered in limestone from ancient seas that has turned into chalk flats stretching hundreds of thousands of square miles. Also, a desert is a desert based on its annual rainfall. Doesn't matter what kind of soil you have, no water=no life.

Ariel
June 11th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Fair enough. I was just wondering.