PDA

View Full Version : A Roger and his Lectern - 850w, language/graphic sexual implications

Pluralized
May 16th, 2014, 11:53 PM

Gyarachu
May 17th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I remember when you first put this up. Weird as hell, but very well written. It's a shame no one would take it.

I think the best part of it all is that fact that you put it in the romance section. Seriously, somebody give this guy an award.

Reject
May 19th, 2014, 04:10 PM
You had me at the word "windbaggery!" I really enjoyed reading this. Unless Roger becomes a salient being and he and Horace turn out to be related I think that maybe just one taboo remains that you have not trampled over!

escorial
May 31st, 2014, 02:21 PM
fond memories of reading this first time round.

apple
May 31st, 2014, 03:35 PM
What a strange story and surprising! Very well written. It had a very sophisticated air about it in spite of the "romance" and all that sex going on right there in public. ha Also very visual, which appeals to me. This was a first time read for me. I'm impressed. Nice, Pluralized.

WechtleinUns
May 31st, 2014, 08:02 PM
This is very good, Pluralized. You can feel the satire cutting through the pompous "windbaggery" of the main character. The wit is sharp, and the ending reflects very well how many students feel in university these days. A lot of them show up, listen to a guy who thinks he's more important than he actually is, and then leave to do their spiel elsewhere. A lot of talk happens, but nothing ultimately comes of it, which I think is really nicely reflected in the way that this ends up.

At the same time, your main character is kind of a likeable fellow. He seems like just the kind of guy that fits really well in a pompous setting of liberal arts lecture tours. You really can't get mad at him for his windbaggery, because he'd probably not be very good at practicing what he preaches. His first love of a soap carving, however, was really funny.

In fact... It's kind of hard to find anything that really needs critiquing or improving here. Your writing is tight and firm. Your wit is pointed and sharp. The literary qualities of the story do precisely what they are set out to do. So... yeah. :D

Good Work. (^.^)