PDA

View Full Version : A Musical Universe Series

caters
April 3rd, 2014, 07:43 PM
I am writing a series about a universe that fills with music. Here is the Table of Contents of my first volume:
Table Of contents
The Beginning-------4-5
Intervals and Their Types---------6-18
Chords and Their Types--------19-z
Notes and their Duration--------z+1-a
Clefs-------a+1-b
Names of Different Octaves-----------b+1-c
Rests, dots, and double dots-------------c+1-d
Flats, Sharps, Double Sharps, Double flats, Triple sharps, and Triple flats---------d+1-e
Dynamics--------e+1-f
Key signatures and Time Signatures-------f+1-g
Types of Scales Based on Number of Distinct Notes per Octave----------g+1-h
All the Different Types of Scales--------------h+1-i
The First Note Playing on the Piano---------i+1-j

As you can see I have completed 2 chapters of the first volume and I am using letters and +1s to show that I don't know when the next chapter is or when the current chapter ends but I will know.

This is just the first volume and so I am researching things about scales and chords and types of meters(that is types of time signatures).

Also Microsoft Word puts page numbers on every page including the title page and table of contents. Thats how come you might see those odd page numbers for the chapters like chapter 1 starting on page 4.

jacyee34
April 4th, 2014, 02:11 AM
What kind of feedback are you looking for?

caters
April 4th, 2014, 03:17 AM
I am looking for positive feedback on this.

Ari
April 4th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Me, I'm not really sure what you're asking for feed back ON. How your book is split up, what you're calling the pieces, or those numbers that looks suspiciously like abstract equations...?

But if you are looking for positive feedback only, maybe I don't need to understand. Or do you mean I should only reply if I have something nice to say, and otherwise keep silent?

Jeko
April 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure how anyone can give you feedback on this; you haven't provided anything to critique. All I would say is that if you're writing a story that is heavily based around a world you're unfamiliar with, I would invest a lot of time in researching the subject matter. If there's one thing that's satisfying about fiction, it's that an author can bestow expertise on their prose and it makes the work so much more palpable than it might have been otherwise.

I am looking for positive feedback on this.

All feedback is positive, unless it's dishonest. If something a writer writes is rubbish, they may not realize unless they give it to someone and that person says it's rubbish. As long as the person says why, it's positive feedback; it helps the writer improve. :)

jacyee34
April 5th, 2014, 11:18 PM
I agree with everyone else. You haven't given us anything to critique, just some random (to us) names that don't mean much. Show us a sample of writing, something we can comment on.

caters
April 5th, 2014, 11:53 PM
There was a universe that was to be full of music. There was a note, Just 1. It sounds like the C in the Great Octave. It saw this staircase and said in his C2(C in the Great Octave) tone “Hmm Maybe there will be more notes as I climb this staircase.” Indeed there were because when he was at C8(C in the 4th Octave) there were 4 other notes. He climbed back down to where he was and the other 8 appeared.
When his birthday came he heard this whole circle of Majors: C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db (also known as C#)-Gb (Also known as F#)-B-E-A-D-G-C.
He said “Wow. A Whole circle of majors” The other 11 notes said “Yes and you as C are in 3 of those chords. That is C major, F major, and Ab major as far as chords. You are also in 8 of the scales.” C said “That’s a lot of scales. Is that like 2/3 of all the scales?” The other 11 said “Yes that is 2/3 of the scales and of the chords. Major that is.”

If you could critique that and tell me if I need to change anything that would be nice.

Jake Creamer
April 6th, 2014, 03:52 AM
I have to say, as a musician, I find the idea both fascinating and repellant.
Firstly, the idea of a universe where music is the unifying cosmology is really interesting. Seeing how non western music, even alien music fits into that cosmology is compelling to me.
On the other hand, music theory is dryer than a drink of powdered chalk in the Sinai.

Victor Wooten (super bassist of the world) wrote a neat book you might enjoy reading. "The Music Lesson, a spiritual search for growth through music"

caters
April 6th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I honestly like music theory and don't think it is dry. I also like to put teaching and fiction together.

I am though glad that you like the idea of a universe where music is the unifying cosmology.

Jeko
April 6th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Critiquing ideas is a bit pointless; any idea can be turned into a good story.

I can say I haven't read anything like it, which is a probably a good thing. :)

caters
April 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM
that thing I posted up there for critiquing is the first chapter of my story.