PDA

View Full Version : Gems and Minerals

Ariel
March 20th, 2014, 12:03 PM
So, as some of you may know I make jewelry when I have the time. All of my other crafty hobbies tend to come back to jewelry (crotchet, sewing, etc). Well, that actually led to Fella, Miss, and I going to the gem and mineral show. We're pretty broke so we didn't get anything too crazy.

The things I got:

A grab bag full of different stones and beads. Included: pyrite, rose quartz, quartz points, obsidion, two shells that had been turned into pendants, a wooden decahedron bead, and several other items.

Two small, ready to string pieces of drusy quartz.

A hank of white stone skull beads.

A hank of tear-shaped black/white beads.

A book on making gem trees and pictures and a starter kit.

A pair of earrings in silver and turquoise from Fella.

What about you? Do any of you collect gems and minerals? What's in your collection? Why do you collect?

Greimour
March 20th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Ah, I don't collect anymore but...

When I was younger I found a bunch of keys that apparently belonged to no one. They were mostly old and some rusty and yet I kept them without reason, i don't know why... over the years the bunch grew to several bunches... growing one key at a time. An old padlock, a shed key, a former residence where the doors had been changed, an old car key where the car was scrapped... and the collection grew, one key at a time.

One day, purely by chance, I found out that one of my keys worked on almost every lock made by the same company. I had several keys made by that company and none worked on any lock, but that specific key was like a skeleton key. I searched all the nearby empty houses for a lock made by the same company and - as luck would have it - I eventually found one. It was the back door of a house which stood alone at the end of a small portion of road leading onto a field / public park.
When I got into that empty house, there was a stained glass rose that absolutely fascinated me. I ended up starting a collection of sculptures made from glass...
We (My friends and I) ended up furnishing the house with it's boarded up windows and even went so far as to rig the electric. We turned the house into our private hide-away and it stayed that way for weeks. Eventually the council found out and ripped out the electrics, they also skipped all the furniture and carpets we had put in there...

I got rid of my keys soon after. I will never forget my key collection though ^_^
I got rid of the glass collection a few years later when I moved home and I gave the rose to an ex that I would not see anymore.

Edit: Glass counts as minerals, right? I honestly thought the rose was a gem the first time I seen it. But I was young... -ish ^_^

Lewdog
March 20th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Amsawtell you're our Gem. :D

Ariel
March 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Aww, thanks Lew.

Considering that they were selling glass beads and such I'd say it counts. Thanks for sharing, Greimour.

Kourtney
March 21st, 2014, 01:05 AM
I don't collect but I remember how I used to be infatuated with this sort of stuff. I think that the gems are so pretty. I do think that it would be a great hobby to have.

Cran
March 21st, 2014, 03:54 AM
Edit: Glass counts as minerals, right? I honestly thought the rose was a gem the first time I seen it. But I was young... -ish ^_^Strictly speaking - no; it's more properly an amorphous solid, can loosely be called a mineraloid (like opal); shaped and polished, it can be called a gem or gemstone (although not at all precious, and commonly not semi-precious).

But this is ams' discussion, and if she says it counts here, then it counts here.

Ariel
March 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM
Glass is often used in jewelry to simulate gems and is a very cheap alternative. For jewelry work (my main reason for going) it's incomparable and makes some of the most interesting beads.

I had never heard of drusy before I'd gone to the show and the first piece I saw was in a pretty expensive necklace. I hated everything about that necklace but that piece of drusy. I asked about the stone itself and came away with a name. I thought it was called Jersey.

Almost all of the vendors selling drusy were selling small pieces for $15+ a gram. I almost settled for not getting any this year and saving up for a small piece next year when I found the vendor I bought mine from. I got two pieces and a hank of beads from him for $25. I just can't figure out what to make with the pieces I have.

For those of you that don't know drusy is a kind of crystal structure that grows over the top of other crystal structures. It looks like sugar granules and it catches the light very prettily. If I can get some good pictures of my drusy I'll post them up. :)

Gargh
March 23rd, 2014, 10:44 PM
I have a rock salt candle holder in my bathroom, trying to crystallize more and more of my window sill with each day that passes... it's not good for the paint job. Reading about drusy makes me wonder if I could put things in its path, like old bits of costume jewellery. :-k

If you're interested in jewels... I saw the Cheapside Hoard exhibition at the Museum of London a couple of weeks ago. There's not much on their website, but an image search brings up quite a lot. There was a tiny weeny little carved monkey and a parrot that were absolutely exquisite. The emerald watch was fabulous too.

Ariel
March 24th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Sorry, growth is just the term that's used for how gems and minerals form.

Cran
March 24th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Sorry, growth is just the term that's used for how gems and minerals form.
Of course it is; has someone suggested not?

Even the geekiest of the white coat brigade know that crystals grow, and that they will happily grow on foreign objects in their vicinity - a process called nucleation.

An example - Not Recommended for light reading, only to show that crystal growth is a proper term:

Synthesis Mechanism: Crystal Growth and Nucleation
Pablo Cubillas and Michael W. Anderson

http://www.wiley-vch.de/books/sample/352732514X_c01.pdf