PDA

View Full Version : Dream sequence 630 words (mild languge) l

Kevin
March 8th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Sandra Bullock floating across my mental screen. She’s dressed like a drum-Majorette, military-style, but skirt too short, tall hat like the European soldier wore at Waterloo…A major, or a captain in that game, Stratego. But that hat, it’s a ridiculous style, how could you fight in that? Tall as Lincoln’s… never mind! You’ve got me going off on a tangent, and no, this is not a sex-dream… although I do find Sandra Bullock attractive, even though for a while there I’d assumed she was a Lesbian, which kind of ruins the fantasy. It's stupid, but you always think like you have some kind of chance... whatever... so what does it matter…

“What? What the hell? Why would you think I’m a lesbian? “

Well… before you started dating that doofus, I never saw you linked with anyone, so I just assumed…

“That’s really great. Just because I’m not all over the tabloids you think I don’t date or it’s some kind of secret. ‘Doofus’… you’re calling my ex a doofus? Do I even know you? You have no business saying anything about my life. You know nothing about me.”

I’mmm… sorry?

“Okay, lets get this over with. And why am I wearing this stupid Majorette uniform?”

I don’t know. It’s just a dream.

“Oh, sure. I’ve heard that one before. What kind of whacked fetish are you into, hmmm?! And when do my clothes start coming off?”

Um… it hadn’t occurred to me, and I don’t even know why you’re here, floating around. And at the rate we’re going I should be waking up soon. It always happens when I get too upset or excited.

“‘Excited’?”

Not like that…

“Well then maybe I’m floating around because you saw me in my latest movie. You saw it, right? What did you think? It was great, wasn’t it?”

Well… actually, I wasn’t that impressed.

“Oh really? What didn’t impress you, the cast, the director, the special effects, or the fact that we won seven Oscars?”

Um…well…

“Come on, speak up. Spit it out. This is a dream, buster, so you might as well say it. We don’t exactly run in the same circles, so if think you’re going to get another chance.”

‘Asteroids!’

“What?”

Asteroids. All that stuff flying around in space made me think of Asteroids. You know, the old video game… by Atari, ‘member? - Boop… boop… boop…p’kyu! pkyu! Where you’re in that little tri-angle space ship and the rocks are like floating around. You shoot at the…

“Yes, okay, I remember.”

… before they smash you… ohhhh…

“Yes, you’ve depressed me. You know, I told my agent, but he convinced me. ‘Ge-orge Clooney! Big Studio.’ How could I go wrong, right?”

The movie did well at the box office.

“Yes, it did… and it won Oscars, but it’s a stupid, mindless, piece-a-crap. There I am, ‘damsel in distress’. They might as well have had a cartoon play me. ”

‘Cartoon’?

“Yes, like Gollum or some other stupid computer-generated piece-a- crap. You know, they won’t be happy until they can make all out of cartoons. That’s the future. No more actors and actresses. Just computer generated characters. Then they won’t have to pay us.”

Look, it’s just me. That kind of movie…

“No, you’re right. It’s hard to get good roles. Look at me: my most serious role and I’m playing in some stupid Sci-fi movie. I’m surprised they didn’t put me up there with Keanu. I’m not exactly Merril Streep, am I?!”

You’re younger and better looking than…

“Oh, shut-up. Can we move this along now? And I thought you said you were waking up soon.”

I’m trying.

“Well try a little harder.”

Did I say that I think you’re cute when you get angry?

“Cute? How’d you like me to turn this into a bloody nightmare.”

( it’s pretty much turned into a nightmare already)

“What?”

Nothing…I'm waking up now.

Riptide
March 8th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Haha, I thought it was really funny. I did think you had too many "...." going on there, and I couldn't picture Sandra Bullock saying that, but it's not like I know her either

Kevin
March 9th, 2014, 04:49 AM
R.T. - thank you for commenting. Too many ellipsis. Yes. I agree. Didn't quite get Sandra's voice...mmm. Made you laugh. I'd hoped for that. It's very hit or miss. Thanks again. :)

Outiboros
March 9th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Isn't she the complete reverse of a Damsel in Distress, or at least transitions to that about when Clooney dies?

It's an interesting piece, but I feel the whole meta-angle of lucid dreaming kind of beats the point. If the title is Dream Sequence, the stage is already set, and it doesn't have to be hammered home.

And ending sentences with ellipses is a bit frowned upon, but that's no major issue.
Oh, Riptide already caught that.

Kevin
March 9th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Weird, Outi, but your post doesn't show unless I come into the thread. You know, you're right. Her (and I'm blaming it on her for convenience right now) self-characterization doesn't quite fit. She is a damsel and she is in distress, but she's hardly helpless and ultimately it's 'her' that gets herself out of the jam. In other movies, too (the crazy fan, the F.B.I. agent in the beauty pagent, the drunk writer, etc., ) she gets some help, but she has to figure it out by herself. Anyway, thank you so much for the comments. Much appreciated. K.

W. Dallas
March 9th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Very entertaining. I thought you captured the feel of an odd dream well. I don't think nailing her voice matters since it is the MC who is giving her a voice.

Two things struck me poorly. 1) How can a woman being a lesbian spoil your fantasy???!!! Just add in Michelle Greene.

And 2) was that a slap at the awesome acting talents of Andy Serkis? If so, I am wiping this read from my memory. Shame on you.

Outiboros
March 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Weird, Outi, but your post doesn't show unless I come into the thread. You know, you're right. Her (and I'm blaming it on her for convenience right now) self-characterization doesn't quite fit. She is a damsel and she is in distress, but she's hardly helpless and ultimately it's 'her' that gets herself out of the jam. In other movies, too (the crazy fan, the F.B.I. agent in the beauty pagent, the drunk writer, etc., ) she gets some help, but she has to figure it out by herself. Anyway, thank you so much for the comments. Much appreciated. K.
Yeah, the forum is being very strange at the moment. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the site.

Well, even if she wasn't a damsel in distress, she was still profiled as being such - she had to be saved by Clooney, even though he was dead at that point.

wainscottbl
April 1st, 2014, 08:22 PM
I found it funny but like said above could not find I don't know Sandra Bullock except as an actress and so in that way she could say or do anything. Act any way. It is acting But interesting way to make it a dream, a sort of fantasy for your celebrity crush, if that's what it was. And interesting how her being dressed that way was not exactly your fantasy or fetish but something that does not make sense. I can relate as dreams often do not make sense. Like on vivid dream I had two nights ago where at the end I was at a place where there are like three train tracks and I was near them. I somehow threw myself on the other, and entering into sleep paralysis, which I thought was me having a seizure (so I was trying to call out) the train was coming, blowing its horn. And I don't have any desire to kill myself that way. If I was going to do it I would hang myself or cut my wrists and bleed out in a warm bath like a Roman. But dreams never make sense. I was picturing myself in this dream, but with Taylor Swift. It was funny because I could not picture her OR Sandra Bullock saying this. But like I said Sandra Bullock is an actress and I haven't seen her doing anything but acting. This piece is great because it points out how even vivid dreams like you are writing about make no sense and are just plain crazy.

One question. I am assuming this is not actually one of your dreams, but are your vivid dreams this conversational? Mine can be cool but there's little conversation and mostly action. I guessed most people's are like that but maybe my sub-conscious is ADHD and yours is more focused or whatever. I just guessed everyone's vivid dreams were more action than conversation. I found the conversation entertaining but unrealistic.

Kevin
April 1st, 2014, 09:30 PM
wainscot-

don't know Sandra Bullock except as an actress and so in that way she could say or do anything So we have them say anything we want, right? There's this comic artist I used to read, Drew Friedman. He was brilliant. He had this one where he wrote in Morgan Fairchild. I still laugh. I totally ripped him off, I mean the basic idea (you know, regular schlub, famous actress)
your celebrity crushNot particularly, though she is very good looking. There's that one movie where she plays this sort of pathetic stalker. She goes through a transformation by the end. Now that movie I had a crush on her. Maybe that's where I got the inspiration. Ha, it hadn't occurred to me.

It was funny because I could not picture her OR Sandra Bullock saying this.What would she say? I mean if you told her the movie was terrible? That's where I started to make it up. I figured she'd be annoyed, and then annoyed at the whole situation. So what would she say? And then there's this whole self-doubting thing that these accomplished stars go through... Anyway, I tried to make it fun.

entering into sleep paralysisHate that. Can't move, can't do anything effectively. Sometimes I dream that I'm drunk or something, falling-down-drunk. Frustrating.

are your vivid dreams this conversational? They can be, but not this one. I uh...improvised. In the past I've had many conversations with monsters. Often they only talk at me (I can't talk), but they do speak. There's a tendency for me to wake up if I'm able to really take control (which sucks). No matter how vivid, I think dreams are too limited. Something has to come before or after, otherwise it's just a scene. JMO.
w. dallas- oh man, sorry for not seeing your comment sooner.
a woman being a lesbian spoil your fantasy???!!! Disliking men, yeah...kind of puts a damper. They're still beautiful...
a slap at the awesome acting talents of Andy Serkis?he was all right in that uhm "13 going on 30" or whatever. Played the boss. Someday though, no such thing as actors. Just cgi. If the studios could, they would. edit: regarding acting. I was just thinking that Serkis was good in that movie, and good in LoTR, too. I wonder how many 'great actors' just never get the chance, never get a role where they can show their talent? JAT

qwertyportne
April 1st, 2014, 10:47 PM
Kevin, you did make me laugh and that's good. Very creative. And the ellipses aren't all that distracting. I just assumed you were telling me, the reader, that the two characters were interrupting each other?

wainscottbl
April 1st, 2014, 11:13 PM
I don't know what she would say, so maybe she would say that @Kevin. People can say anything in a dream. I had a dream about an old priest I did lot like and he was teaching some science class (chemistry or something) last night. I called him a f*cking papist", which is a slur against Catholics. He was being a real jerk about the grades and I got mad and called him a papist. I don't like to use those sort of slurs, especially seeing as I am a Catholic myself. :-) I can't imagine the priest I did not like being that big of a jerk. I did find him a jerk in many ways, or at least he would not have been a jerk the way he was in the dream. I woke up just as I was about to start a revolution with the other students.

Trygve
April 2nd, 2014, 04:13 AM
I think you actually did capture her voice pretty well, assuming that you would likely dream of her as having the personality of some of her roles. To me, you were kind of channeling the voice of her characters in Miss Congeniality and The Heat.

Actually, it was one incident in the dreamer / narrator's voice that was a speed bump for me, and that was the shortening of remember to just 'member. It didn't seem to fit with how he talked for the rest of the sequence.

Agree with W.Dallas on the lesbian thing.

Kevin
April 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Trygve-
you actually did capture her voice... channeling the voice of her characters thank you. I guess her roles are all I had to go off of, subconsciously 'channeling'. Wonder how accurate that is (my guesstimate)? :) "'member?'" Yes, I will lose that. Gone. Thank you.

Agree with W.Dallas on the lesbian thing. There was a Kevin Smith movie, Chasing Amy... there's this one scene...talks about the fantasy v. reality. Probably stereotypical, but...

Coincidently, waiscott, he (Smith) was raised Catholic. It's often a theme of his work. One of my best friends was a 'papist' He got a kick out of it when I referred to him as such. The term is almost unknown hereabouts.

Quertyportne -
the two characters were interrupting each other Yes. I thought about using a dash, but... I don't know. Thank you for the read.

Trygve
April 3rd, 2014, 05:36 PM
I think fantasy vs reality is the entire theme of Chasing Amy. I wish I had written the script. Kevin Smith doesn't get enough credit. It's almost a proverb that reality will very rarely live up to fantasy. In reality, we're not nearly as mentally or physically flexible as we imagined.

TheGreatKhan
April 12th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Whenever I read pieces about dreams or memories, it always seems to me that being too ambiguous in structure can detract from the experience. Perhaps make the prose a bit more 'rigid'? Otherwise, great content altogether!