PDA

View Full Version : Poetry in another language

Douglas
January 12th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I was pondering the other day, how hard it would be to write a poem in another language you are not familiar with.

Taking this to the extreme, I wonder how hard it would be to write an original (meaningful) limerick in the Klingon language?

Your thoughts on this would be welcome.

Ariel
March 21st, 2014, 11:54 PM
Pretty difficult--at least with a real language. If a poet is unfamiliar with the language it is easy to unintentionally create grammatical, symantic, and spelling mistakes that could lead to some pretty embarrassing meanings.

For example, I work with a lot of Spanish-speakers. I know a lot more Spanish now than I once did but when I first started working with them I mistakenly said to someone "Hasta luega" instead of "luego." One letter and I went from saying "see you later" to "see your genitals."

It was embarrassing and obviously a very easy mistake to have made.

escorial
March 22nd, 2014, 12:01 AM
I would love to see one of my pieces in chinese.

Grizzly
March 22nd, 2014, 12:05 AM
A teacher once told me that it's difficult for someone to utilize the creative-side of different languages past a certain age. You can still learn and speak the language, but it's hella difficult to write creatively because the inheritance isn't there. Not sure if that's true or not.

escorial
March 22nd, 2014, 12:07 AM
A teacher once told me that it's difficult for someone to utilize the creative-side of different languages past a certain age. You can still learn and speak the language, but it's hella difficult to write creatively because the inheritance isn't there. Not sure if that's true or not....sounds plausable to me on many levels.

Grizzly
March 22nd, 2014, 12:10 AM
...sounds plausable to me on many levels.

Makes me kind of sad though. I'm only fluent in one language, so it's a bit of a bummer.

escorial
March 22nd, 2014, 12:22 AM
I've heard people talk in another language an thought I bet he/she are Spanish, Italian..ect..but what would and English person sound like to them speaking there language..would they say he/she is English!!!!

Ariel
March 22nd, 2014, 01:29 AM
I don't know. I bet if you lived immersive my as an adult in a foreign language and that if you had the creative use for language that you'd be able to write creatively in it. But not knowing the language at all I don't think it's possible