PDA

View Full Version : After the Fall

Tyler Danann
December 7th, 2013, 07:48 AM
This is a short post-apocalyptic film (just over 7 and a half minutes long) I made with a few others last year.

It's independently made and funded, shot on location in the wilderness of the rocky-mountains...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT8pKI_Gztg

Leyline
December 9th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Hi Tyler, and thanks for sharing your work.

Can't say I cared much for the text narration, and the blue annotation box drove me a bit batty. Ha! But there were some lovely compositions, and the editing was quite excellent, as well as the score. Nice to see guns being handled by people who obviously know what they're doing with them! All in all, this was quite a nice piece of work all around: built up carefully and well, with an admirable mood and tension.

I'll check out more of your YouTube stuff and comment there when I get the chance.

Best,
-G.

Gumby
December 9th, 2013, 10:22 PM
I have to agree about the text narrating and the blue box, but otherwise, this is great. :) I enjoyed it!

Elvenswordsman
December 9th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Congrats on getting this done and put out.

Just a quick note : The text wasn't contrasted well enough to be anything more than distracting.

Also, unless your camera or the effects on the editer intended it to lag, I believe you need to look into data compression in regards to at least the video. If that doesn't clear up the kick, maybe look to audio and video compression. Lossless files don't really come out of video editing software well unless they've been compressed prior to editing.

Look towards MKV for your video compression. Also, if your camera can't handle recording at high levels, maybe reduce the video quality that you record at. My old camera recorded by default at 720p, but the compression occurring in the cameras software made it really laggy.

Just my thoughts, but keep up the good work. It takes true creative drive to record anything, much less post it online.

Tyler Danann
December 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks, I appreciate it.

The blue box is to promote my book, but the box can be turned off using the Cog-wheel option and 'annotations' from 'on' to 'off' :)

Here's a short trailer for the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3B6tAB1tQ

kaufenpreis
June 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I like the 5min version, also any of those rounds hit the side of that pipe on the way out? We never get to see WR's face... must take some staging!

Tyler Danann
June 12th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks.

None of the rounds hit the pipe, but the 'echo' effect does give the impression of that due to the sound-wave reverberating off it :)

J.T. Chris
June 13th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I'm going to echo what the others said. I really didn't like the text narration. Why did you choose text narration over dialogue?

Tyler Danann
June 14th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I've not got a great 'narration' style of voice, the text isn't perfect, but I wasn't after making the perfect short film either, just as long as it had the spirit, a questing way, and great lashings of conflict!

J.T. Chris
June 14th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Fair enough. I was just curious.

wainscottbl
October 3rd, 2014, 06:09 AM
Like it but I think the parts I do not like have been said. The text narration and that little screen in the corner. I see what you were trying to do by I myself did not like it. The score is nice and the film is entertaining though. It's always nice to see the work of those who truly love the art rather than most of the poor stuff Hollywood puts out--popcorn entertainment more that great film. With that little rant over I do think the camera was handled well. The view from the top was nice and I liked the one part where the screen was staticy (sp?) and shaky. I took as the guy looking around. Entertaining piece all around. Nice job. I will subscribe to you.

Threak 17
October 6th, 2014, 12:53 AM
I like the 50 second trailer, it left me wanting more. Nicely done!

Tyler Danann
October 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all your feedback folks. While it won't change this trailer, I have put into the making of future ones for future projects etc. :)

CWilkinson
November 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I'm agreeing with the others on the text front' It distracted me more from the film than necessary, also around 4:33 the guy runs straight past the make shift camp, when in reality he should've checked it was clear.

Apart from that great effort, good job!

interactive
December 21st, 2014, 04:57 PM
I liked it . Text was fine as represents the frustration of the new world . But when will humans stop fighting ?

Tyler Danann
December 23rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
I liked it . Text was fine as represents the frustration of the new world . But when will humans stop fighting ?

Only by about book 10 of my Saga when the Saken are defeated is there an end to the fighting. Even then there is one last enemy that will arrive to try and wipe us all out!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the original film which was slightly shorter than the directors cut. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQXkNEE_lns

Tyler Danann
December 23rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Another video that ties in with the film. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWeDKGYMLE