PDA

View Full Version : using a nom de plume

Beammeupscotty
November 20th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Evening all.

Are there any pitfalls when one chooses to use a nom de plume? I came across The Yellow Mustang's post 'Should I change my name' and it made me think about the complexities and or legalities of using a pen name. For instance: Royalties. Copyright. Promoting, etc. Are any of these affected when a pen name is used?

Thanks,

Scott.

movieman
November 20th, 2013, 05:00 AM
In America, you register the copyright under both names. When dealing with a publishing company, you put both names on the manuscript. Promoting is only really an issue in person.

Beammeupscotty
December 3rd, 2013, 11:05 PM
Hi Movieman, thanks for the reply. I was thinking of using Lulu as I like the idea of being in control of the way my book looks/turns out. Have you heard of them?

Regards,

Scott.

movieman
December 4th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I've heard of Lulu and haven't heard anything bad about them, but I've never used them myself.

TWErvin2
December 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM
You might check out CreateSpace and Lightning Source before you go with Lulu. Their print product isn't bad, but they are overall more expensive. I've known a few folks who switched over because trying to sell on Amazon and elsewhere, they found it hard to compete cost wise. As far as the pen name, as you're self publishing (as evidenced by discussing Lulu), the major concern was addressed by movieman.

jayelle_cochran
December 14th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Are there any pitfalls when one chooses to use a nom de plume? I came across The Yellow Mustang's post 'Should I change my name' and it made me think about the complexities and or legalities of using a pen name. For instance: Royalties. Copyright. Promoting, etc. Are any of these affected when a pen name is used?

I think it all depends on how you've set yourself up as an author/business.

If you're traditionally publishing then both your real name and your pen name will be on the contract. Your payment for your books will be in your legal name, not your pen name.

If you self-publish then it's not much different. When you sign up on createspace or lulu or whatever you use for printing, then you will find that they ask for your legal name for the royalties and your pen name for the book listing. The only added thing would be if/when you decide to turn it into a business (ie. make yourself your own publisher) and then you just register your DBA (which could be your pen name or the name of your business).

Truthfully though, it's really not a huge issue. You can make your name whatever you want so long as it's not used (ie. you can't call yourself Stephen King and expect there to be no fallout). I doubt you would do that so, yeah, it's all personally preference.

*hugs*
Jayelle

Beammeupscotty
December 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM
'Truthfully though, it's really not a huge issue. You can make your name whatever you want so long as it's not used (ie. you can't call yourself Stephen King and expect there to be no fallout). I doubt you would do that so, yeah, it's all personally preference.'

*hugs*
Jayelle

Dam! Thought I'd get away with that!

Seriously though, thanks to all you nice people for taking the time to help me out. Might never be a 'Mr King' but then I just get so much enjoyment (escapism) out of my writing that just to see a book in print would be a joy.

TWErvine. Can you elaborate...'I've known a few folks who switched over because trying to sell on Amazon and elsewhere, they found it hard to compete cost wise.'

Jayelle. Great info, love the picture.

"hugs back"

Scott.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tourist
December 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Considering the ever-increasing issues with hacking and identity theft, I think a nom-de-spoof is a good idea. I have a sock-puppet name I've been using for years, in fact, I use it as a "spam trap" fake e-mail account for times when I want info but fear unsolicited repeat mailings.

All a degenerate has to have is one piece of information on you, and he'll send a toy drone out of his mom's basement and into your life.

spartan928
December 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I have the same name as a well known author. If I get to a point with my writing where someone approaches me with a compelling reason to not use my own name, well, I guess I'd be doing something right wouldn't I?

Beammeupscotty
December 21st, 2013, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=The Tourist.

'All a degenerate has to have is one piece of information on you, and he'll send a toy drone out of his mom's basement and into your life.'

Well said that man.

Yes, another reason to use an NP.

jayelle_cochran
December 24th, 2013, 12:13 AM
TWErvine. Can you elaborate...'I've known a few folks who switched over because trying to sell on Amazon and elsewhere, they found it hard to compete cost wise.'

I think what he meant is that with createspace, you don't have to pay to have your book sold on Amazon. When it is sold through them, they take a portion of the royalties (you'll have to look at their site to see how much). Other than that, it's free and at no cost to you. Also, createspace has a distributor for brick and mortar stores, though I don't know how good the service is.

Jayelle. Great info, love the picture.

Thanks Scott! :)

*hugs*
Jayelle

movieman
December 24th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Also, createspace has a distributor for brick and mortar stores, though I don't know how good the service is.

If you enable expanded distribution, any book store (at least in America, not sure about the rest of the world) can order your books. They're not likely to unless you're already selling well enough for them to notice you online, but they can do so.

That also gets your book up on B&N's site and other online book stores.