PDA

View Full Version : The Queen and the Barbarian

Tyrannohotep
November 18th, 2013, 07:54 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/321/9/2/the_queen_and_the_barbarian_by_brandonspilcher-d6uoroc.png
I haven't settled on names for these two characters yet, but I do have a rough idea of what kind of story I would like to tell about them. The guy is a vagabond warrior who has come down from the far north seeking prosperity and adventure. Once he lays eyes on the rich and beautiful southern queen, he wants more than anything to win her over even though she views his people as uncouth barbarians. At its core it will be a story about a man's quest to earn not only the greatest love he could ever have, but also an even greater purpose to his life.

I feel that this type of plot line is something most young guys like myself can easily relate to. I can't say I've seen it all that often in the romance novels I've glanced at though, as most of those books seem to center on women's perspectives. I guess most romance writers don't consider that men have romantic fantasies too. That the girl at first appears to be way above the guy's league should add extra appeal, since lots of guys want girls like that.

Another reason I like this idea is its interracial nature, particularly its juxtaposition of ancient Northern European and African cultures. One thing I want to emphasize is that this is not meant to be a "Mighty Whitey" story in which the white male hero "civilizes" the Africans. If anything, it's the African culture in my story which has more wealth, power, and urbanized social organization than its European counterpart. Think of the contrast as resembling that between ancient Egypt, Nubia, or Mali and one of the pre-Christian Celtic or Norse tribes.